Sign in to follow this  
seymore

Stainless steel quick disconnects?

I'm looking to find some stainless disconnects for my shurflo chem set up.The bleach is killing my brass ones now.I try to spray them with WD-40 but they still get corroded.

WOW they are pretty proud of those stainless connects huh!!

Are they worth paying twice the price of brass ones?

Are most of you guys using stainless connects on your Shurflo set ups to spray bleach?

Cool appreciate the info Scott!!

I'm gonna order some this week cause i can go thru a bunch of brass ones on my chem pump.

I'll tell you there is nothing i hate more than a leaky wand when i'm spraying bleach.:lgangry:

I use all ss now, and get them from espec.

About three times a year they have big sales on couplings, and that's when I buy them. 1/4" are about 2$, plugs about 1$.

Even though they are cheapie Chinese imports, they still hold up quite well, better than the expensive American made brass versions.

I do exactly the same thing Tony does above. My Local Distributer charges a ton for these small parts and when you can by 4-5 of these parts at Envirospec for the same price then thats what I do.

Bill,

What do you consider rough use? I would define it as using hot water, and dragging hoses and couplings on concrete, which I do, and even then the stainless hold up better than the brass. Of course harsh chems are rough too, and again, stainless beats brass.

Brass is just a softer metal than stainless steel. I also know there are different grades of stainless, and I think it's called the 'rock hardness'. Maybe someone else can expound on this.

There is alot of different grades of SS. It suposed to be immuned to rusting. The hardness of SS depends on the application and end use. The quality I've seen in the deck industry sucks (screws). Made in China and rusting. Also the steel ones with nickle plate are crap and useless. Did anyone get these with your X-jeT ? I was a Qulaity Control Manager for 10 years dealing with metals and plating. Many parts and fittings I've recievced from distributors should be in the scrap pile. I go to the local one and hand select.

All I know is that my brass ones are becoming a pain. They're rusting like crazy and when they do, it's a lot harder to change tips etc. Glad this post is here because I wanted to change over too. Any idea when the sales go on?

Thanks

A silicone lubricant will do the same thing and isn't as hard on the o-rings as WD-40. The best SS fittings that I've found to date are made by Hansen and aren't cheap, but they last forever compared to most others. JMHO.

James,

I carry WD-40 with me too. I don't mind changing o'rings ("washers?") but the water is extremely hard out here. I don't know if that has anything to do with the rust or not. So far I haven't lost any pressure on my unit but I'm going to descale it anyway... it's due for it's one-year checkup.

We are mainly dragging our hoses across new construction lots (dirt, sand, bricks, etc.); cold water. We consider our flat work to be a clean environment.

We had been getting the cheap SS from China - they failed (not rusted) fairly quickly. Have had best luck with Breco brass. I have tried every type of lubricant and have found the best for us is simple motor oil.

Yes, the ball bearings inside the coupling corrode, and sometimes even the housing bends a tiny bit and makes it hard to operate.

But actually what I find happens most is the plug ends get mushroomed, and don't slide into the coupling smoothly. I think with pressure actuated unloaders, there is a spike "bang" when the trigger is pulled, and the plug end takes the brunt of the force.

More often than not, I can get away with just changing the plug, but when I but in quantity and get them so inexpensive, it doesn't bother me to change both sides, even a couple times a year.

Most sockets are brass but a lot of the plugs are made out of something else. The xjet plug is brass, and it has lasted me a long time. I have purchased plugs from a lot of different places, but other than that I never have gotten a brass plug. Maybe because brass is such a soft metal? I have even got plugs that look like they were spray painted gold. IMHO SS qc's are worth their weight in gold.

What haappens to the brass because its softer. Is when you release the gun and engage the back and forth motion moves the material. This makes it harder to reconnect. I carry a arizona stone or file to shave it down a little to get me out of jam's.

I have problems with both couplers and plugs. Tony I can sometimes revive the plugs as you do - I use a wire wheel on a grinder. I do use a SS plug on my XJet, as I am applying strong acid with it.

I use the stainless on my shurflo setups which I use primarly for applying 4-6% chlorine to roofs. I use mainly the generic SS because it seems under those condions the name brand and generic SS couplers seem to degrade and rust rather quickly.