Sign in to follow this  
John T

Where were you when the 9-11 attacks happened?

Question

Today is 9-11-13. A day of remembrance to never forget what happened happened 12 yrs ago and to also remember all the brave Fireman, Police officers, other emergency personnel and the civilians who lost their lives that day during the process of saving many others.

I was at my favorite bagel place when the first strike of the Twin Towers happened and then at the Dodge dealer to pick up my truck that was being serviced when I saw on their TV the second strike to the Twin Towers here.

This images how can we ever forget? We can't. I'm also posting this to the minute the first strike happened.

Where were you this day 12 yrs ago when you first heard about the attacks on 9-11-01?

14 answers to this question

Sleeping and my brother in law woke me up coming in the house yelling "we're under attack!" He turned the TV on and was still 1/2 asleep and as I looked at what I saw I thought "What kind of movie is this on at 9AM?" As I sat up to watch the 2nd plane hit and I snapped out and said "that's not a movie."

Please aslo take a moment and Remember that one year ago today 4  Americans were murdered in Benghazhi Lybia yet as of today nothing has been done and no one has yet to even tell us what happened there.

I was working for a software company, and was at my desk when it happened and the radio announced it.  Several people in our office had loved ones in the Pentagon that day, thankfully not in the area the plane struck. I knew two others who had friends and family respectively who were supposed to be in the twin towers but were not. Sheer luck. One was called to go to another building and had been out about 30 minutes, the other overslept and was late for work.

Rod was at the chiropractor, and I texted him while he was on the table. The schools here sent out three messages with different closing times for schools, and no one knew what was accurate. Everyone went home to get their children, be with family and watch the news unfold. I'll never forget the horror of that day.

Beth

I was running my Springer Spaniel, Tigger, along a beach on the Manasquan River in Brielle, NJ.  A woman told me about an aircraft colliding with one of the WTC buildings.

Tossed the dog in the truck, and drove back to my in-laws across the river in Pt. Pleasant Beach for TV coverage.  I do remember not being very surprised when it was speculated by commentators as a terrorist attack.  After all, radical Islamist's had bombed one underground garage years previous to 9/11/01.  The 2nd plane pretty much confirmed this as an attack.

What was shocking was the two towers came tumbling down to the ground.

There are a few, memorable events in a lifetime.  For me, 9/11 is the most recent one. 

JFK's assassination in Dallas was certainly another.  Seeing Miss Anstein, my 5th grade teacher, uncontrollably crying in front of the class, will forever be with me.

And being repeatedly taught by my school teacher to dive under my desk, crouch in a fetus position and cover my head - to protect myself from a nuclear bomb attack (yeah, right!), was one more.  As a 9 yr. old during the Cuban missile crisis, no doubt the most personally frightening.

The world can be scary at times.

I was living in a crappy little apartment on Franklin street in Fort wayne, Indiana. My girlfriend and I had just gotten up and flipped on the morning news. We watched as they went to a breaking story out of NYC, where a plane had "accidently" crashed into one of the WTC towers.

I remember talking to her about how hard it would be to accidently hit one of those, as you can see them for miles in the air on a clear day.

Then the second plane hit.

I stood up and grabbed my phone. My girlfriend could see in my face that something was wrong. She started asking why I was so concerned. I replied "this is the beginning of WW3. This isn't an accident, we are under attack. We will not see peace again for a long time." I just knew in my gut.

I finished dialing and reached my Plt. Sgt. I said "hey Sgt., are you watching the news?" He said no. I told him to turn it on. He watched for a few minutes and told me to grab my gear and get to the armory.

We all sat on standby, waiting for the orders, but they didn't come. My unit deployed to Iraq in 03, but I had since gotten out. I was a single father with custody of two kids.

After I got married, I re-enlisted active duty. I did my time in Kirkuk and Mosul, Iraq. I loved my job. An injury put me out. Got ran over and messed me up pretty bad. I would go back over there in a heartbeat, because those people HATE us and they will not stop until they have won or been wiped out.

I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

11B, SGT.

1-67 CAB

2 BCT, 4 ID  WARHORSE!

I was living in a crappy little apartment on Franklin street in Fort wayne, Indiana. My girlfriend and I had just gotten up and flipped on the morning news. We watched as they went to a breaking story out of NYC, where a plane had "accidently" crashed into one of the WTC towers.

I remember talking to her about how hard it would be to accidently hit one of those, as you can see them for miles in the air on a clear day.

I stood up and grabbed my phone. My girlfriend could see in my face that something was wrong. She started asking why I was so concerned. I replied "this is the beginning of WW3. This isn't an accident, we are under attack. We will not see peace again for a long time." I just knew in my gut.

I finished dialing and reached my Plt. Sgt. I said "hey Sgt., are you watching the news?" He said no. I told him to turn it on. He watched for a few minutes and told me to grab my gear and get to the armory.

We all sat on standby, waiting for the orders, but they didn't come. My unit deployed to Iraq in 03, but I had since gotten out. I was a single father with custody of two kids.

After I got married, I re-enlisted active duty. I did my time in Kirkuk and Mosul, Iraq. I loved my job. An injury put me out. Got ran over and messed me up pretty bad. I would go back over there in a heartbeat, because those people HATE us and they will not stop until they have won or been wiped out.

11B, SGT.

1-67 CAB

2 BCT, 4 ID  WARHORSE!

You guys are are hero's. Thank you for your service and protecting our freedoms and thank you, thank you thank you for our Military killing the main guy who orchestrated these attacks.

Not in my opinion. The heros were there that day and the days that followed. They were the first responders that stayed awake for days. Searching through chaos, only to uncover horror and tragedy.

Those that packed their cars and drove hundreds of miles just to give blood or serve water to people they had never met before. The people in every state that put together food, clothing and needed supply drives in their local towns. The people who ran in when everyone was trying to run out.

I just got to go hang out with my brothers and kick doors in. It was mostly boring.

Rick said it well: there are a few memorable events in a lifetime.  12 years ago 4 of us were backpacking in the heart of Idaho's Selway-Bitterroot wilderness.  No contact with the world & learned a week later.  Not the most momentous - I also remember where I was when JFK was shot - driving home on a Friday to my wife and 3 kids in an old Desoto.  I even remember the celebrations when WWII ended.  OK I'm gettin' old, but one never forgets things like this.  There are a host of others such as the Lt Calley massacre (1966?) - I was in Vietnam at the time therefore more of an impact on me. Memories.

R

11B, SGT.

1-67 CAB

2 BCT, 4 ID  WARHORSE!

Right on. Thx for your service.

Not in my opinion. The heros were there that day and the days that followed. They were the first responders that stayed awake for days. Searching through chaos, only to uncover horror and tragedy.

Those that packed their cars and drove hundreds of miles just to give blood or serve water to people they had never met before. The people in every state that put together food, clothing and needed supply drives in their local towns. The people who ran in when everyone was trying to run out.

I just got to go hang out with my brothers and kick doors in. It was mostly boring.

My nomination for the TGS post of the year.  Make that decade.