Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Lou died.

Question

Another one of the greats passed this weekend.

Lou Reed.

What a maverick in the New York music scene.

If you are too young to know of him, look him up and check out some of his material.

It will move you.

Nothing to do with pressure washing except through the headphones while working.

Being a musician myself ( or a washed up musician) this is really sad to me.

11 answers to this question

Lou Reed was awesome. True Long Island and worldwide legend who influenced many especially as the lead singer of the Velvet Underground. I had a few of his "cassete tapes" from the mid 70's to the mid 80's. I only wish I seen him at the CBGB's back in the 70's. I was lucky enough to see the Ramones 4-5 times back then but never the legend-- Lou Reed.

I love Lou Reed and thats the reason i bought tickets to see him i think in the 70's? Absolute worst concert ever but it was fun throwing bottles at the stage . He had  100 tv's with static in the back ground  and came out playing the sax's ( brutally terrible). I saw him earlier and he  was great . Was at CBGB's  many times  ............................  

I love Lou Reed and thats the reason i bought tickets to see him i think in the 70's? Absolute worst concert ever but it was fun throwing bottles at the stage . He had  100 tv's with static in the back ground  and came out playing the sax's ( brutally terrible). I saw him earlier and he  was great . Was at CBGB's  many times  ............................

You dawg Diamond Jim:) I never went to CBGB's but been to the Ritz back then a few times and seen some phenomenal bands like the Ramones, Talking Heads among others.. CBGB's was legendary but just never got around to going there. Now they've been closed for a few years and some of the legends that played there are dead and buried such as The Ramones and Lou Reed-- time flies.

John ( and Jim) you are one lucky dude to have seen the Talking Heads.

I never saw them live. I have seen David Byrmes solo mareial live, but not the heads.

At the turn of the century a punk band ( called Repo Man ) I was in, was on a tribute albumn called "This is not the Talking Heads".

It was released in the Netherlands ( which I actually just got back from on vacation). We did the song Heaven.

Really good recording we did.  It was 3 of my 15 min.

Music like that just doesn't exist anymore.

Great tune Adrian. I dig the music. "I dig you" brother. Which instrument were you playing in there?

You guys would have done well here if it was 30 yrs ago when the bars had bands jamming. In my area I seen these bands at some of my local bars and they were great to see up close and personal and to even drink with some of these cats back then was totally cool. The bands were Zebra, Twisted Sister, Rainbow w/deep purple guitarist Richie Blacmore(I went to school with the Drummer Rondinelli),The Ramones just to name a few.

Heck me and my friends use to follow a band here called Vixen because the girls who followed that ban...... Well it was fun:)

Thx John. I'm the pile of hair playing lead guitar on the left. It was a show called CAPZEYEZ on the Austin Music Network.

I definately remember Vixen. ( drool)

I did play in Manhatan once, on a street corner. Seriously.

The music scene in NY is unlike any other, a close second to Austin.

I grew up listening to the very bands you mentioned, and also fell off into the indie scene when metal wasn't paying the bills.

There are very few today that fill the unique shoes of that style.

I played a show at little five points in Atlanta at a really cool coffee club. 

Of course I showed up a few hrs early to setup, and just walking across the street to a used clothes store, was Patty Smith.

You should know her, shes from our time and your area. 

When she crossed my path, I tilted my head and told her I loved her music.

She gave me the crooked smile and said " Thaaaaaanks Maaaaan"

Yup I remember Ratt. I was more of an ACDC Van Halen type fan then heading towards New Wave music such as Generation X(Billy Idol fronted this band),Police,Clash and U2 to name a few.

They were having a tribute to Lou Reed today @12:30 but I couldn't convince Kathy to go with me so we missed out. As for Patty Smith & her hairy armpits, the way she sang hers and Bruce Springsteen's song "Because the Night" is one of my all-time fav's.

Hairy armpits  lol that's her signature. Would have been great to see.

Let's not forget another New York band ..... Riot..... the best band no ones ever heard of.

And of course Dream Theater, the best prog metal band since Yes.

NY puts out some great bands, but none like Lou.

To bad you missed the tribute. Would have been cool.

Peace,

I love my xjet.