Sign in to follow this  
Aplus

How's this for clean gutters?

I've been using Gutter Zap since September of 1999..........and I love it. :wave: If the gutter zap doesnt take care of it, I dont go nuts trying to clean the gutter.............you have to draw a line somewhere............go crazy on something and watch your profitability fly away with the breeze........ Customers always seem to be happy, regardless of whether I think they could have come cleaner if I brushed them..........

Guest rfitz

Mike

exactly how do you apply gutter zap, ? and do you ever brush ?

do you dilute it any ?

THX

I dillute it usually about 2 to 1. Depends on how bad the gutters are, and outside temps. On hot days it works better.

I apply it with a solo pump up sprayer.

I find that it is not necessary to pay particular attention to the gutters on some houses..........lately we've only been using the zap on perhaps 35% of our house washing jobs.

If I were to use it every day, I'd probably use a pole/brush to apply it to the second floor, rather then climbing a ladder with a sprayer.

Xjetting it is a total last resort for me.........it just wastes product and gets it all over everything, including yourself if the wind is just right..........

No, I don't brush.

Guest rfitz

Mike, I find dilutung Gutter Zap 3-1 or 4-1 works pretty good, I also think spraying works better than brushing, I just wish there was a way to spray it from the ground other than the Xjet, like you said too much waste, also, I find after a demo I always get the gutters included, I now charge an Xtra $75.00 for that service, my average housewash is between $300 and $600 so a couple of these a day, makes for a nice week, I would much rather do housewashing than decks, it is more profitable, and less time consuming, I might try and network with some of the Wood restoration companies in my area, and see if I can send them deck work, if they will send me housewashing jobs.. By the way, on a typical 3000 sq ft housewash I might use $10.00 to $12.00 in chems, I found a great formula that is real effective and real cheap..

Rob,

Why not buy a long extension pole, some 1/4" tubing, fittings and such, and hook up to a 12v pump system? You could then spray the chems directly on the gutters with virtually no waste.

I had thought about making a setup like that, but I find it just as quick to brush. In fact, I find that a little brushing makes the gutters look far better than just a dwell and rinse alone.

Guest rfitz

Tony, Im not sure why, but when I just spray, dwell 30 secs to 1 minute, my gutters where I live look better than if I brushed, I ve tried both many times,

and spraying always looks better...? Oh and by the way, I have decided to add window washing to my biz, it seemed like everyone getting a bid for housewashing wanted their windows washed too, so I figured what the heck, I charge $10.00 a window standard double hung and $3.00 for screens to be taken out, washed and put back in, everyone seems to be pretty happy with those prices, Im not sure how I came up with that amount..? but I am now getting almost 50% more per job for that add on, as well as driveways patios, gutters, patio furniture, sidewalks, etc.. what starts out as a $350.00 housewash, turns out to be $600 and up... Just a Thought...

CONTRACTORS SPRAYING GUTTER ZAP WITH X-JET OR SPRAYER:

HOW MUCH PRODUCT (G-ZAP) TO CLEAN GUTTERS ON 2 STORY, 2500 SQ. FT. HOUSE?

HAVE YOU HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH DAMAGING FINISH ON VINYL SHUTTERS, OR OTHER AREAS DUE TO APPLICATION?

WE BRUSH ALL OF OUR GUTTERS. I THINK THE STAIN NEEDS TO BE ADJITATED TO COMPLETLY REMOVE. IF YOU BRUSH, 1 GALLON WILL CLEAN 5 HOUSES OR MORE.

The easiest way to estimate how much g-zap is required is to measure the length of the gutters.

The fact that a house is 2 story and 2500 sf tells me nothing as to how many feet of gutter there is.

With experience, I've learned to adjust the strength up/down as required by each job, which also affects how much product is used.

If gz is left too long on siding and trim etc, it can damage the material, or make super clean spots that are hard to blend in.

For this reason, I keep the power washer ready beside me so I can immediately rinse the areas that shouldn't have gz on them.

i spray the house cleaner on first.

Then when it's wet with that chem i clean the gutter's.

Rinse from gutter's down.

no problem's with clean streak's.

If GZ work's so well, why not use it to wash the whole house.

just deluite it more as a whole house wash.

Here's another fine example of gutter zap in action. I almost always brush the gutters, it uses far less than xjetting the product on. People are amazed when they see these results.

Almost every house I wash, I use less than a gallon of GZ.

Guest rfitz

Sometimes when I use my gutter cleaners, including gutter zap at full strength, the blk streaks just wont come off, no matter what I do, I mean not all the way, on the real hard ones, they do fade, but I can still see a latent image, and also, as of lately, I have found a great gutter cleaner, that I also use as a housewash, and is really affordable as well, Bob at pressure tek carries it, and I think anyone who tries it will love it..

I know what you mean about the black streaks. Still, with a good brush and a little scrubbing, I get off almost all of it, and I am very picky.

So what's this great gutter cleaner? Please tell us.

BTW, a homeowner mentioned that they use a retail product called "Greased Lightening" to remove gutter stains. I've seen it at the retail stores, but never paid much attention.

Guest rfitz

Im not sure the name, it is something like 6135 it is just a number, but I have tried them all, and I really stand behind this cleaner and the sales rep, just go to www.pressuretek.com and Bob can tell you more, You will love this stuff

I've been a lurker on this board for about two weeks now, and finally I see a place where I think I can give a little help.

Had my first taste of filthy gutters today. The best chemical I have found (and I have tried several "off the shelf" chemicals) has been something called "Purple Stuff." I buy it at Advance Auto Parts for a couple of bucks per gallon. I spray it onto the gutters full strength with a squirt bottle or a sprayer like those used for spraying pesticide and allow it to sit for a few minutes, then gently scrub it with a brush and rinse off. If you allow it to sit long enough or use two applications, it can be washed off with high pressure and no scrubbing. Miracle stuff, in my opinion!!!

Ryan

Guest rfitz

When I look for cleaners, I have a mission, I want 1, one for houses, one for gutters, one for houses, etc.. the SAME one, I am trying to get away from having 3-4-5 different cleaners on my van, and I think I have found it at Pressuretek, or I should say, I havent found anything that beats it, and I LOVE the idea, that this is the only all purpose cleaner I need on my truck,

it sure saves time and space, havent tried purple stuff, but heard it is a good cleaner degreaser

Do you use the Purple Power straight or diluted? Just wondering what the actual cost per gallon is.

Gutter Zap for example, is 10-12 bucks per gallon. Shipping costs are fairly high because of the weight, and having to come on commercial carriers.

So if I mix 2 parts water for each part GZ, then my actual cost per gallon is about $4 or less. Not too bad.

Guest rfitz

Tony that is why I like the cleaner from pressuretek, it is about $7.00 a gallon but you can start mixing it at 10 to 1 or less and get the same results as gutter zap..., I am using it at 50 to 1 for houses, and it still seems like I could dilute it more and it would still work, today I will try 60,70, and 80 to 1 and it should still do fine...

Guest rfitz

Mike,

The name or number in this case is 6136 I believe, call Bob at Pressuretek and he can set you up, he is sending out FREE samples, and all you have to pay is shipping..

888-898-0908

Guys,

Don't discount the effectivness of greased lightening,at full strength it is awesome on gutters,diluted down it makes a good house wash,rim/tire cleaner,degreaser.....you name it it willmore than likely clean it.Remember it will kill plants and gras,so rinse,rinse,rinse and rinse again.

I'm new to the Powerwashing business and The Grime Scene, but I have to say--you people REALLY know what you're doing. I own a Landscaping business and decided to add Powerwashing this season and see what happens with it. I've read just about every post in every forum and i feel like I have more knowledge then some long-term companies in my area (who take 7 hours to wash an 1800 sq. ft house AND do a lousy job).

I couldn't help but notice a post that said, "all extention poles aren't created equally." Could you elaborate on this and recommend what type and where to purchase quality/reasonable priced poles on-line?

One more question on my mind when I read about brushing the gutters and sometimes houses--what type of brushes do you folks use for gutters and houses (ultra soft, soft, firm bristles?) and where can you recommend purchasing these brushes? I'm not blessed with a local business that has a great knowledge of Powerwashing supplies and chemicals, so i'm putting my faith in your experiences.

Thank You.