Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Down Streaming Sodium Hydroxide

I hear that some people frown upon downstreaming Sodium Hydroxide based cleaners. I have down and upstreamed both Sodium and Potassium based Hydroxides with no ill effects on myself or equipment.

Would like to know what problems can occur when doing this, and the reason for concern.

What is the preferrred method for applying?

I would think that any time that one sprays chemicals (especially contractors that do it on a regular basis) a respirator would be the wisest investment for your health. Chemical mist will get into your lungs. Wind can stir the mist also. Some chemicals have short-term and others have long-term effects. Every person reacts differently to chemical exposure. Just because you are not seeing short term effects does not mean that your internal organs are not being damaged (kidneys, liver, heart, and brain, etc.).

The disadvantage I would see with down-streaming is the use of high(er) pressure then a pump-up or Shur-flo system which has an impact on the way some chemicals react with certain substrates. Example: acid should be applied with no more than 60 psi pressure to keep it from penetrating too deep into the surface.

Remamber: "Safety First and Make It Last!"

Thank you Paul! I have not up or down streamed acid, I use a pump up or garden watering can to apply it. As far as the respirator, I will add that to my Field trip list. I do wear eye protection and ear protection, but admit I was lacking in the Lung protection, and having Asthma, I should of known better. Thank you again.

For all you guys using a pump up sprayer for Sodium Hydroxide based products let me let you in on a little secret. I just got a new pump up from Sears after returning one that was in warranty and it has a lable on the pump up that reads NEVER SPRAY FLAMMABLE MATERIALS OR PRESSURE AND GAS PRODUCING CHEMICALS SUCH AS SODIUM HYDROXIDE THROUGH THIS SPRAYER. Well I guess your down to a Shur Flo or Flo Jet. I personally use my X-Jet to spray these chems however with all the contraversy on this topic I thought I would let you know what I just read on a brand new Pump UP.

It is true those statements are included on most pump sprayers. The issue is not whether the device is capable of spraying certain chems, but rather the liability issue of doing it.

If you dress and equip yourself properly, you can greatly reduce the risk of personal injury during their use. In fact pump sprayers and their use can be downright safe if certain care and procedures are always followed.

The problem is that many consumers won't follow the proper procedures, and will end up injuring themselves, then trying to sue the manufacturers for their stupidity.

I've seen people smoking while gassing their cars, so I can't picture it would be any different while spraying any number of caustics, solvents, and what not.

I'm not saying to anybody that it is safe to spray certain chems with a pump up that says not to. Just be equipped for safety if you make that decision.

Rod uses a shurflow alot too. He likes that better than a pump up, but some situations don't allow for it's use. Many of the homes around here have poor outdoor electricity on the new models...

We had a huge strip job recently (large fence and little deck the one with Warm Honey Gold) that we could not use electricity on. Very frustrating. Had to use pump ups for everything. The homeowner said the electricity never has been right for outdoor use.

Beth

That's why I like the 12v shurflow system. Never have to worry about electricity onsite. I keep a battery charger in the trailer in case I forget to charge the battery.

I also have two pump up sprayers in each trailer for back up purposes. I try to be redundant in as many areas as I can so not to be down on a job.

Actually, on single story homes, I like to apply gutter cleaner via a pump up, because it is faster and more economical.

Beth why not buy a 4000 watt generator for the rig?

I use Shur-Flo pumps for all jobs requiring chemicals and find I can control where I want to spray much better then down or up steam.

When mixing I always wear eye protection over my glasses and a face filter made to filter out powder chemicals.

Before buying any face mask read labels, they are not all created equal.

And if you have a beard as I do be darn sure it fits tight or it is useless.

Tell about your respirator, and how well does it fit around the hairy face? When I was a firefighter, we could not have beards because the SCBA mask did not seal. My first day on duty, I shaved my beard. My youngest child just stood and stared and refused to give me a kiss as she had never seen me w/o whiskers. One reason I do not use a mask now is because of my beard.

Douglas Hicks

General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

I can't wait for the day Ron P. and I meet;)

Douglas it is not a perfect fit in the way you are talking, I pull the straps tight.

Also my beard is not big and long as you can see in my picture, it is short and trim so that helps a lot.

Shave it off, NO WAY, I grow this way way back when my former employer said NO BEARDS. (around 1970ish)

Has double filters straps, above and below rather then a single strap holding it on.

That is how I am able to tighten it well and not breath in the powder.

The face mask cost around $30 from Home Depot.

JON

The way your post reads.

It sounds like you bought your beard at Home depot.

You would think for 30 bucks you could have gotten a bigger one!

:D

Bob

At one of the local HD, in the area where the sliding doors are and you exit, there is a small vendor that sells hotdogs, chips, and soda.

Imagine if there were a booth setup where you could buy beards.

What a country.