Sign in to follow this  
Trevor C.N

Chem Tank

Question

I was hoping someone could give me advice on purchasing a chem tank and sprayer. I’m looking for a 25 gallon chemical sprayer to reduce the amount of time it takes me to mix chemicals on site. I typically work with sodium hydroxide (stripper) and brightener. I found a duel 25 gallon tank with a single hose (It has a control valve for tank selection). This seems like a good option for me, but i’m wondering if sharing the same hose would be a problem with these two chemicals? Should each chemical tank get a separate hose?  

Also, what length of hose is adequate for residential jobs? I need to make sure it can stretch far enough into most backyards.

Any better suggestion in mind? please tell!

16 answers to this question

I'm far from an expert in wood care. But I'm pretty I do kno sh is an alkaline and yur brighter us probably and acid so I definately would want to keep the two seperated. What kind of brighter ru using?

It depends on how large the decks are . Stripper (sodium hydroxide) Is easy to mix in a couple of 6 gallon containers  for doing decks  and you can control the strength of the stripper better at the deck. 25 and 50 foot lengths of hose is good . Don't leave stripper in the hose! I have jobs wear a 100ft is needed. I like mixing at the site .  Powder acid mixes better in hot water.

Same hose for your purpose not a good idea. Also 25 gallon tanks are 150 pounds filled. Most decks I do i would have to run 100 to 200 feet of chem hose.

If your tanks are truck mounted you are definitely going to need 200 feet of hose. Make sure you inspect the hose often. Last thing you want is stripper spraying all over someones house, and not finding out until the damage has been done.    

We don't do decks or wood care at all. Just curious do u apply stripper then powerwash?

Yes, but it is really power rinsing.  

Ok. Could u downstream yur chems then?

You don't downstream stripper. It wouldn't be near strong enough and you definitely don't want sodium hydroxide (in strengths required to strip a deck) flying all over the place. You can however downstream the brightener/neutralizer. Usually stripper is applied with a pump up or 12 volt pump.

Yea good point. High pressure sh is never a good idea. Brain fart I guess. How many gallons does it take for an average size deck?

Edited by ckeener

We have a 25 gal tank we use for a few thing and it has a plug in bottom. If we have left over chem we just open it up into a bucket or container and then flush our hose with lots of clean water

So Let's say I end up getting a 200 ft chemical hose that's mounted from my truck. When i'm done spraying the stripper, what would I do with everything that's left in the hose?

If you are using a 12 volt pump, most of them can run dy. Just spray back into the tank for 10-15 seconds, then drop intake hose into a bucket of water. when you get to the air gap, you are done cleaning out the hose. This is how I clear out my oxalic acid, I use for hard water stains on driveways.