Sign in to follow this  
boho444

Anyone have to strip a coating like this.

Question

Got a call from a customer today saying they stained their brand new cedar deck with a product from home depot two years ago and now it looks awful.

Now this isn't a regular stain. This is that "deck restore" coating they sell at home depot. It's very thick and feels rough and grainy.

Anyway I attached a couple pics to give you guys an idea.

How would you guys tackle this?

I'm thinking of sanding with a low grit. Strip, brighten and then sand between the boards. And stain with a semi solid AC.

What do you guys think? bfd5387ea8177184992ef86d7ea915ab.jpg

18 answers to this question

Ayup, I been waiting for this thread. What is the stuff Made from? What is the main ingredient that you will need to strip? I am sure someone here has dealt with that stuff before.

Steven Mendez

207 347 1334

Www.westernmainepressurewashing.com

Edited by steven

These epoxy resin based coatings were never meant to be stripped.

Sanding hasn't been investigated yet by my team and replacement would be the next route of suggestion since the wood has been

considered bad enough to warrant it to begin with.

Rod

Replacing the boards as others have suggested is the least expensive.
Trying to flip boards in my experience....since they have gotten so far past their life span usually break and split upon trying to remove them.

Save the hassle and talk up the savings over the years by replacing the wood vs flipping it and still having crap wood.

Rod

Trying to flip boards in my experience....since they have gotten so far past their life span usually break and split upon trying to remove them.

Save the hassle and talk up the savings over the years by replacing the wood vs flipping it and still having crap wood.

Rod

Rod

Good advice.  Rod is spot on.  Re skinned the deck or get a carpenter.

Well, just about finished sanding and for some reason he wants to go with the driftwood AC stain. Says he doesn't care if some of the Orange from the previous stain. I was trying to push a solid stain but ah well. Hopefully he's happy when it's finished. post-7174-143310125125_thumb.jpgpost-7174-143310125991_thumb.jpg

Got a call from a customer today saying they stained their brand new cedar deck with a product from home depot two years ago and now it looks awful.
Now this isn't a regular stain. ... bfd5387ea8177184992ef86d7ea915ab.jpg

Bobby,

Hard to believe the idiocy of some consumers. Pay for a new cedar deck (not cheap wood) and throw this stuff on it. Anyway, you did a very nice job removing this stuff off of the horizontal cedar. The vertical cedar is still a nightmare.

Go or call your local Home Depot.  There is a product called Back to Nature Multi Strip.  It may work on that abortion of a coating.  Buy a quart to try, make sure you put it on thicker than that "concrete colored with diarrhea".  Allow to dwell 24 hours and PW or scrub with water for a test.

I'm working on a quote of a hard strip of a large red mahogany deck with numerous built up stains, including a base coat of marine varnish.  I know the original owner of Back to Nature (sold the company 3 yrs. ago to Sunnyside Corp.) and just spoke to his son.  He assured me that Multi Strip is the same formula as the old BTN BFS II that I used many time to strip multiple layers of foul acrylics.

Might work.

I just gave the fence a sand today. The grist was all worn off just the colour was present and came off nicely with my orbital.

Our home depots don't carry that product up here in Canada. I used a product called "super remover". I then scraped the chunks off the surface as well as in between boards by hand. I then used the stripper from "restore a deck" and pressured washed it off. The next step was sanding which I started with a 20 grit and finished at 60.

I will be staining first thing next week. Happy this one is finished.