mike movila

cleaning a screened in porch or deck.

Question

Guys I am new to the grime scene and I am amazed at the knowledge you guys possess. Just wondering what is the best way to keep the screen clean from any debris when washing and staining a screened in porch or deck. Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

Sorry for the delay....busy.

There is no way to keep the screen clean while washing. You have to rinse it frequently to keep the debris and wood fibers from bonding to it though.

Rinse at an angle though from both sides. Elongated wood fibers tend to lap over the individual wires. Rinsing from an angle helps to get them loose better.

Chemicals used on the trim covering screen sections will damage the screen and remove the coating turning them shiney or more like bare aluminum.
If the screens are fiberglass, they can be damaged by the chemicals and during the wash actually tear.

We often recommend just replacing them instead and applying a coating that will last a long time inside the porch to minimize the need for future cleaning.

Rod

Guys I am new to the grime scene and I am amazed at the knowledge you guys possess. Just wondering what is the best way to keep the screen clean from any debris when washing and staining a screened in porch or deck. Thanks in advance.

Mike,

Fairly simple. A dry brush will remove 90% off the screens when dry. Blow off with a gas powered blower, or whatever the landscape guys call it.

I have used the brush and blower and had decent results, however sometimes there seems to be a few stuburn wood chips that do not want to let go Thank you for advise.