Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Replacable vs durable

Question

43 answers to this question

I see what you are saying. We might try that. We start building one tomorrow. Thanks for the tip Shane ... appreciate it.

I don't think it is oil base now that you mention it.

I've had chlorine leak down my back and cause a slight burn. That was due to carlessness on my part by not making sure the top was sealed tight. In light of that back leak, I will still continue to use backpack sprayers. I hate hand held pump up sprayers.

The graveyard of sprayers, everyone seems to have had them.

One thing or another breaking down or wearing out.

No local supply for parts.

You'd think some one would read this and :idea: and then figure out a way to :lgmoneyey supply them?!? :hmmm:

Vendors should be reading these boards, really!

Rod~

Carlos,

To clean out chems, we flush with water.. no prob..

To clean up after stain (Ready Seal) we can go two ways.. Either leave the system full (this assumes no or very slight color changes for the next job) or we flush with a diluted butyl degreaser and follow with a fresh water rinse, then leave the system full of water.

Clean up is really no more than you would find with an airless sprayer..

I'll run a a few gallons of "Dawn" soapy/water mixture thru my shur flo set ups.I'll leave them full of water/soap also so they prime easier.

The Gray Away stain i use has mineral spirits/Parrafin oil in it and if i leave that in the pump it ruins the O-rings.

I had a deckster and found it to be worthless. Difficult to move, crappy pump, etc. As far as functionality, the Deckhand is awesome, but costs too much and is somewhat cheaply built. But the pail sits at the bottom so you can move the unit easily. I truly saw no redeeming value in the Deckster. Problem with the Deckhand was that the pump was difficult to get to and fix, taking time. The best units I've found are the one's i've made myself, with a $25 handtruck from HD, $70 Shurflo, $11 60' hose from Walmart, a gun, and a few connection hoses/cables/siphon hoses and fittings. If you wanted to take the time you could weld a place to put the battery on it, and weld an area to hold the can. Mine look cheap and crappy, but will out-perform the $600 units every time, for about $125. If there are those on here distributing Deckhand's or whatever, I am not trying to step on your toes, I am just trying to help the contractor pocket more $. This is how you make money--by cutting costs, mixing your own chems, etc.

I had a landscape company for years and we used backpack sprayers daily. We ONLY sprayed roundup (weed killer), which i dont believe is a caustic, and STILL had the backpack graveyard in our shop. They only lasted about 9 months or so - lot of daily use though. Im not so sure it's the caustics that cause problems. I think these companies just make them good enough to get by. The best backpack we used (in a landscape app) was the Echo. Food for thought... Love this forum - Ive learned so much.

I heard that the Echo is a good sprayer. With us on our concrete business, we use the pump-ups to apply the sealer. What we have found out is that the sealer will "gum up" during application and really mess things up for us.

It never occurred to me to ask HD to honor the warranty on the backpack sprayers. I use the exclusively for stripping, neutralizing and sealing/staining decks. (A different sprayer for each.) I usually leave the chem/stain in the sprayer without cleaning and have very few problems. If I get 1 year out of a $70 sprayer, I'm happy.

It had never occured to me either until I was there talking to a employee about something else and had metioned how I had bought the a sprayer and I was allready having some problems and he's the one that told me to just bring it in and they will replace it. I said "really" he said "sure buddy!" I said "Cool, thanks" that was four sprayers ago.