Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

What's in your first aid kit?

A bee sting kit

Sun Block

I keep .50 cents taped to the inside for a pay phone incase there is a problem with the cell phone

I also have a card saying I am not allergic to anything and my emergency contact #'s in case some one runs across me unconcious on a job site.

I know this is an old post, but I thought that I would mention that we just bought a first aide kit from Sam's club. Cost was $20.00, a hard case and came with a wide variety of products. Just about anything you could think of.

I like Joels idea of the .50 cents taped in there and a card stating what you're allergic to and contact information. I'll have to get my employees to fill out something like that.

Hi all,

I'm new to the site absorbing up as much knowledge as I can to start a small washing business. Thank you very much for all of the great information.

Now the reason for my post. I am a firefighter/paramedic full time looking into this as a side job. Speaking professionally, pretty much any first aid kit you pick up in a general store will do you well, I have a wal-mart kit that I added latex gloves, sunburn cream and bite ointment to. Having a card that contains your medical history and/or allergies is a GREAT idea. I would only suggest that if you work alone that you put this list in your wallet and include an emergency contact, or if it is a significant medical situation (like being a diabetic for example) a medical alert bracelet is best. I can say with some certainty that no one will be going through your medical kit since we bring our own. Your wallet will be transported with you and if you are unable to communicate the hospital staff will look through you wallet for any personal information including insurance, address, personal contacts, etc... If you work with a crew the best place to keep this information is somewhere everyone will remember.

Be careful out there, because now you know who's coming if your not!!

I have my employees fill out a card asking about bee sting allergy, current medications and allergies to meds, and emergency contact info. I keep them in a file on each truck. The only thing you may haave forgotten is calmine lotion for those days when you roll around in the ivy.

Is there a way to get epinephrin (sp?) to have on hand or is that by prescription only? If you are allergic to bees and get stung, sometimes just the poltice isn't good enough. I know we seem to be working on some ancient yellow jacket nesting ground - they are everywhere.

Talk to your doctor. I'm pretty certain that if you are allergic to bee stings, your doctor can set you up with the shots you need. Are you OK to give yourself a shot?

I'm not but as I understand it, it can develop out of the blue. My mom wasn't then last year she got stung and had a bad reaction and went to the hospital. The next time it was worse and she almost did not make it to the hospital before she started having breathing problems. She hasn't been stung since but they say that if she does she may really be in trouble. I guess if you have an employee that is allergic, they should be able to provide the stuff, huh.

I always ask my employees if they are allergic and have them put on their employee file jacket anything they are allergic too.

One of my employees got stung two years ago.. She never told me she was allergic. Since then it's policy when we hire to have them list any allergies to bees, medicine or chemicals.

Henry,

That is so important! We do that also and have found you would be surprised the number of things folks are allergic to. Also co-workers need to know if they are working with someone who has an allergy such as bee stings. You never know when they will have to aid another person.

Beth

This is not so much a first aid kit item, but it is important to remember that chems are not without side effects. Many of you guys are husbands with young families. The use of Oxylic acid can cause you to become sterile. Please remember your PPE, and keep your family's future safe. Not trying to sound gross, or crude, but not everyone is aware of this and really, we all should be. If you have workers, protect them too.

Beth

Well crap....if I'd known about the Oxalic thing, I may have been able to forego surgery!!!

On a different note, there is a little yellow book - Emergency Response Guide - that no first aid kit, work truck, or whatever should be without. They can be gotten from Labelmaster or maybe even your local fire dept or EMT.

Celeste

Chronic oxalic acid exposure could also cause a man to father children with birth defects.....that would be far worse than becoming sterile.

That is exactly why I switched to citric acid several years back.

Just thought this was about the right time of year to bring this thread up top again.

First aid, and a way to communicate with responders while unconscious, are things to think about as we get ourselves and our businesses ready for the wild spring we all hope to have.:)

If this topic starts to get old, you may be in danger of not getting old!;)

New skin has a similar product. We also use finger cots (sorta like little condoms) for covering finger bandages and keeping them from getting wet or exposed to chems through a ripped glove.

Burn gel is a great pain killer for new wounds too.

Rod!~