Sign in to follow this  
wesley

How's Business

Question

I've done fleet services and store front cleaning for almost 5 years. Back in September 04 I started doing Houses, business was great in this field till the first part of Dec.it has now really slowed down, when will the season pick back up? I'm hoping the end of this month.

13 answers to this question

Not sure how the economics of the Augusta area work, but on the Atlanta southside I noticed increased demand once grass started turning green again. It's a basic understanding of sociology I guess..people get outside and notice that their houses are looking pretty shabby and want them straightened up to fly right. The second week of March is when my call frequency peaked last year, but I was just doing neighborhood newsletters, though. No data on yellow pages or other advertisement forms.

I basicly do nothing from Dec. 20 through early Jan. then things slowly pick up after that. It works out good though, because it allows me to do my Christmas shopping, and enjoy the Holiday. My busiest times by far are March-May and Sept-Nov.

I don't know how you all do it back east and even in some of the southern states. I would be losing my mind if I had to wait until the weather was better for me to power wash. I guess we are spoiled somewhat out here. 2 weeks ago it rained for about 3-4 days and I was going stir crazy :)

Hat's off to you all!!

It's been raining here in the last week so i've been at home a good bit.Overall my staining biz has been non stop all winter.Mostly we have had a mild winter mid 70's and not to wet.

What's helped me the most is having a subdivison contract to stain the fences of all the houses being built.I will have a total of 500+ houses ranging from 400K & up.

Also every 4 years i'll be getting calls due to the stain that has to used is the only stain allowed.I'm the only company that supplies it in all of Houston :D

Shane -- good for you. With the fence contract you have ~ do you need to clean them up at all before you stain. The fences are new so one would think that all you would have to do is stain them? Just curious.

Thanks Carlos :cool:

Well it depends if the PT lumber has mildew ...1x6 rot board...2x4's etc.Sometimes the cedar will get mud on it before they install the grass so then i'll clean them.

Dec~Feb is the slowest time of year for the pw business...typically..

That said, we are off to a great start and are booked into the first week of March.

You have to work your marketing year round to ensure you have work for the slow times.

Wesley, are you still coming to the Roundtable on the 12th?

Ryan, there's an invite for you too....

Cujo

Well yeah business is slow for me too! I got lucky and landed a fleet washing account thats a guaranteed $1300 a month so that helps! It hasnt allowed me to quit my full time job yet but hopefully decks will take up alot of slack and then maybe another fleet job or 2! Luckily my full time job is overnight at a Deaf school so I can hang out at the GrimeScene all night getting addicted to some of the games!

Carlos, well have to get together and chat! seems like we have deafness in common. I am not deaf but parents are as well as my brother and nephew! I have known of a lot of successful deaf people that went against the odds and did great!

Never let anyone, including yourself, say that you are not capable of doing something!