Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Which Sealer(s) are you using this year?

What's your sealer of choice for 2005? (if not listed, post below)  

108 members have voted

1. 1. What's your sealer of choice for 2005? (if not listed, post below)

• Bakers Gray-away Products!
    • Cabot-which? (please post below)
    • CWF/UV
    • Cuprinol-Deck Scapes
    • Olympic-which? (please post below)
    • Penofin
    • Ready Seal
    • Sikkens-which? (please post below)
    • TimberPro Products
    • TWP
    • Wood Tux!
    • Wolman-which? (please post below)

Question

Its that time of year when we all start to think about what we are going to offer based upon what our experiences were, customer feedback, and price (of course).

So, what did we learn?

Price?

Availability?

Coverage?

Effort to apply?

The look on different ages of wood?

Durability?

I am sure these things are all in play some way or another and that many of us use these to deterimine what we will go with the next season or keep offering the same.

Lets hear from you and see what we have learned.

Rod~

44 answers to this question

I can't vote because my stain is not listed :(

I'm gonna keep on using the same and only stain i've used in 8 yrs Baker's Gray Away.It's a great stain to work with and has some great looking natural tones.

It's amazing how many refferals i get from my customers who swear that it's the best stain they have ever used.I've had people drive 75 miles or more to pick up some stain for their deck or fence.

When it comes to price it would be next to imposible to get another quality stain any cheaper.I do also buy 120 gallons every few weeks even now in Jan.During the summer i'm buying 240 gals. all trucked in so shipping is at a great $$.

Learning to get good coversge rates per job is a big key to making better margins.I'm usually right on on fences 150 sqft per gal and decks 100 sqft or better but it varies with the age of the wood.

If i see a real old deck that will suck up a lot of stain i will price it alittle higher to make up for the extra stain the wood will suck up!

As for durability for a semi trans oil base stain 1 1/2 -2 yrs on decks and 3-4 yrs on fences and even 5-6 yrs on some cedar houses :cool:

So i can't rerally ask for any more from a stain than i'm already getting!Another thing that is good about using the same stain exclusively is that I'm gonna be very confident in how it performs and not get any suprises down the road.

As mentioned in other threads, we don't get involved with the wood staining as much to really seriously to put much thought into it...HOWEVER...we are getting a respectable number of people inquiring about our overheads that we build. This is prominent in alot of the new homes in our area that is being built.

Today, we use Behr Premium Cedartone or Redwood Stain.

The reason for us posting here is that if building overheads continues to increase then I would probably want to offer to our customers more colors and more options. Most likely stop using the airless for the application and purchase a Decker5.

Seymore has already gave us a very good recommendation about how to hide/dress up the steel brackets that hold the studs in place.

I have been using Olympic Maximum Honey Gold for a few years. My customers love it - even after 2 years. Very easy to apply with a pump-up sprayer, $18/gal and I can buy it as I need it at Lowes. Its almost impossible to leave a lap mark and any touch-ups blend right in.

Staining is not my favorite thing to do, especially when the market won't bear reasonable pricing, so I like a product that doesn't require a lot of "fussing".

I am sure that I will take a look at some same-day stains this year. Having to come back to stain is bad enough, but having to deal with the weather drives me - and my customers - nuts!

Also Flood Spa n' Deck (contractor grade!) which is the one day process - with Carolina weather to contend with, we almost have to use something that doesn't require a lot of dry time. I understand that Wood Tux Wet! is coming available - seen results there and mmmm, very nice :) - Also there is BioWash (Pete, pipe in?) and a new Cabot's one day stain?

Celeste

I voted for Deck Scapes even though I haven't used it yet. Its the only decent product (from what I've read) that I can get locally if needed.

Others that have used it, is there any secrets to using it versus other products? Is it tricky or simple compared to others????

Our Sealers of choice for this year will be---

Wood Tux! Wet (WHG, WC)

Cabot Austrailian Timber Oil-Hardwoods

Sikkens SRD, DEK, 123+

Cabot Solid Color Stain (2 tone decks)

The reason for this not only because we love these products, but the greater majority of our clients have one or more of these products currently installed on the structures and will be needing maintenance coats this year.

The results we have obtained using these products has been fruitfully favorable. You can just look at the structure and tell why they would be a desired finish. They all have great mildewcides and long life.

We like using sprayers for application with pads and brushes for backup work.

Looking forward to spring!:sunshine:

Rod~

I am up in the air between Wood Tux (regular and wet), Ready Seal, and Cabot's (once again, both dry and wet). Is there anyone who can give me a comparison about:

Coverage, Finished Appearance, Mildew Resistance, UV Protection/Color Retention, and ease of application? I would appreciate any success or explanations why you do or don't use any of these products.

Michael, I have not had luck with the Deckscapes (formerly Cuprinol). It IS food for Mildew. My own deck had mildew vissably forming at about 6 months (of course, it has a northern exposure and this has been the wetest year on record in the Northeast)

Duane

Duane...Ive yet to hear anything really good about Deckscapes.... probably just use RS, the more "goof proof" the better anyway...LOL

was asking bout the sherwin product cause its an easy local purchase and if I was short, could be bought quick n easy....dont have the capitol to load up with 100 gallons of RS or WT in the various colors.....guess I'll have to work it though-----quickly !!!!!!

Duane-

I wanted to share the data on Wood-Tux with you so you know how it compares. Please let me know if you would like any further information or more detailed description.

Solids % by Weight 49% (actual)

Solids % by Volume 43.94% (actual)

Pigment to Binders (proprietary)

Coverage = >703.04 sqft/gal/mil

Spread Rate = 200 sqft/gal

VISCOSITY = 75-80 (KREBS Units)

These are the true numbers for the Wood-Tux WET formulation. They are not fluffed up for marketing.

When you look at the percentage solids listed that is 49% Active Ingredients. In other words that is a measure of the true solids based on formulation.

Ignore the coverage number that is lab stuff. The spread rate is what you are interested in. That number is based on 3 season red cedar =/> 20% moisture at 78 degrees F. This is the optimal spread rate for the product if you want the maximum protection. Of coarse as all wood varies in density and porosity your spread rate will also vary but should not go below 200 sqft/gal unless the wood is very old and severely dry.

The actual amount of pigment used is proprietary however I can assure you that it is much higher than you would see in a product that is marketed to homeowners.

I hope that you find thins information helpful. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. You can reach me in the office at 866-536-7393 or by cell at 636-288-8512

Best of Luck

Russell

04 was myfirst year in business and I used Wolmans FP, Ready Seal and Sikkens SRD. Ready Seal was the easiest to apply but I could not tell the difference between some of the colors. I was able to buy the FP and the cheapest price. The Sikkens went on a friend's house.

I will stick with the RS this year. I do like the Wolman cleaner/brightener though. I am hoping to get some wood training and step up the program this year.

Thank you Celeste. We have noticed a tremendous amount of hits to our web-site from the link you posted. The Grime Scene community seems to be very interested in our products, school, and equipment. We are glad to help and invite any interested party to call us and keep visiting www.wooddefender.com

Brent

I have read a couple bad posts about ready seal.It by a long shot the top product being use according to the poll.Can some faithfull users chime in to back up ready seal.I ordered some to use and want to make sure I made a wise choise.

Thanks Art

I'm pretty sure the people who have had problems with it were the problem If you keep jumping product to product. Or mis- understanding why it works and it's benifits. Or rookie's who didn't use enough product. People are the problem not the product. So the pole is correct ! I have ten years and just completed two cedar house restorations with it The most misunderstood part of woodcare in general. Is future maint. With RS it's easy, clean and re-apply. If you have any questions e- mail and I 'll call you.

Also if you read were problems come from just read the rest of the post by that person then you can kinda figure out why there was a problem.

Thanks for the reply James.I receives a call from Ready Seal this morning.He answered all my questions and was very helpfull.I will be using Ready Seal and Bakers.