Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Which Sealer(s) are you using this year?

What's your sealer of choice for 2005? (if not listed, post below)  

108 members have voted

1. 1. What's your sealer of choice for 2005? (if not listed, post below)

• Bakers Gray-away Products!
    • Cabot-which? (please post below)
    • CWF/UV
    • Cuprinol-Deck Scapes
    • Olympic-which? (please post below)
    • Penofin
    • Ready Seal
    • Sikkens-which? (please post below)
    • TimberPro Products
    • TWP
    • Wood Tux!
    • Wolman-which? (please post below)

Question

Its that time of year when we all start to think about what we are going to offer based upon what our experiences were, customer feedback, and price (of course).

So, what did we learn?

Price?

Availability?

Coverage?

Effort to apply?

The look on different ages of wood?

Durability?

I am sure these things are all in play some way or another and that many of us use these to deterimine what we will go with the next season or keep offering the same.

Lets hear from you and see what we have learned.

Rod~

44 answers to this question

How about DoFoe, I have it used it on my decks in the past and thought it was great. That was before I started doing this for money. It is about $25 per gallon, 4 shades available and readily available at local paint shops.

Thanks, Mike

I initially started using Wolman's Products about two years ago, b/c it was what my local dealer offered and it looked like a reasonably good product. I applied to a few decks and although no real issues witht he stain, preferences for color and other factors of what it is really doing, the "acrylic" scenerio etc.

Next I found Cabot's (SPF) b/c of sheen based on a customer's request and applied to a few decks. The decks looked great and all have been very happy. I have since cleaned those since it has been at and over two years since application and all are holding up nicely. I did have to strip and reapply one area of Cabot's SPF b/c I did not like the way it looks when I cleaned it. BTW, it removed way too easier than I expected.

I am currently using WTW and Ready Seal on every deck and like both much better than anything else I have used. I feel there benefits outway anything else I have used and have several more applications in the works for this month and next already.

I just stained a deck today using Muralo's Lumber Jacket Transparent Decking stain - it is tung oil based with trans-oxide pigments. I also use California's Storm Stain products which are linseed oil based. Muralo is a company in New Jersey, and they make the very best house paint. And the same is true with california - and they're in the same town I live in.

-Dan

p.s. Muralo's solid oil siding stain puts cabots to shame.

Jim Foley is right about people being the problem, I am currently using 2 products Ready Seal and Wood Defender, both are similar, here is the problem, Application and training, I have found personnally, that brushing far out weighs spraying as far as longevity and appearance, penetration etc..

Although most competetion sprays so you have to price yourself accordingly, because if I brush and roll all my decks it takes me twice as long as the competetion hence more more labor, although better better quality, and when explained in that manner most people drop the price shopping when realizing all the other companies spray 1 light coat and there gone, where as we brush and roll 2 good coats and today I think most people realize you get exactly what you pay for,,,

I just got a sprayer and I have been spraying/backbrushing 2 coats on. I take my time with the sprayer and make sure I dont go too fast with it.

I have been using Deckscapes so far, but after reading some of these post it is making me leary.

I voted for Deck Scapes even though I haven't used it yet. Its the only decent product (from what I've read) that I can get locally if needed.

Others that have used it, is there any secrets to using it versus other products? Is it tricky or simple compared to others????

Junk!!!

This is my tenth summer doing this. I have used a great deal of products. I would say that Sikkens is the best product I have used but it is costly. For the majority of the time I have been using Deckscapes (Cuprinol) and I have had great results with it. However, with that said I haven't used many of the products that others seem to use on here. (Readyseal, Woodtux, ect) I am getting Deckscapes for about $16 a gallon and it has been lasting two years. I am totally open to trying something new but everything else looks like it cost quite a bit more. I went to the readyseal website and it looks like it runs $25 a gallon. Do these other products go further per gallon? Do these other product that folks use on here go on much easier than Deckscapes? I'm so used to it I can't imagine anything else. I would love some imput, a new product might give me some excitement in the biz again.

I may have to break down and try wood tux wet if weather doesnt start cooperating here, we are 15 decks backed up at the moment, some have been washed as far back as 2 weeks ago, we just keep washing more and more everyday, we cant stop our biz just because it rains everyday, we can wash strip etc.. every day regardless of rain but we just keep getting more and more backed up because we need DRY days to start staining, although the customers do understand, when it does start to dry out of course they will all want theirs done first which of course they will be in line according to when they were washed, etc.. I guess my question regarding wood tux is, if it rains on say monday, and we stain on tuesday with wood tux and then it rains again a few hours after staining will the stain hold up, in other words lets say its wet when we stain it, and then rains right after will that impair its looks, longevity etc..??? at least with RS and wood defender if it rains lets say 8-10 after application it doesnt really affect it, the wood is sealed and water proof

although the deck is 12% moisture content or less when we apply it....

There is no problem with rain following the application of Wood-Tux. As you said, 10 to 15 minutes after application rain will have no adverse effect.

Anyone who has seen a product demonstration with Wood-Tux can tell you that we take a freshly stained board and subject it to the full flow of a garden hose. Even with that amount of flow there is no adverse effect on the finish. More importantly you do not see the rainbow of oils in the runoff. This is a clear sign that the product is binding and staying in the wood.

I can tell you that your competition is not getting backed up. Those in the area who apply Wood-Tux are right on schedule.

The nightmare of dealing with backlogged customers who all demand service the first sunny day is another issue that is avoided all together.

Remember just because a product is priced higher does not mean that it costs more to use. Leaving the superior spread rate out of the equation, it is still easy to see that the cost of using Wood-Tux is lower than many other cheaply priced products. If your product limits the number of jobs you can complete then it is costing you money every year in lost work.

More work days equal more work completed. More work completed results in more annual revenue. Break down the cost per square foot of any product, remember to factor in ACTUAL coverage rates. You will see that the difference is only pennies (like 2) per square foot at most.

Would you pay $20 more for your materials on a 1000 square foot deck if you were able to apply it to wet wood?

Would you pay $20.00 not to have to reschedule a job?

Are you able to earn more than $20.00 finishing your average deck?

Obviously Wood-Tux is not the best choice for every job. It is a high end product designed for premium quality and it is priced accordingly. When you stop to consider the excellent spread rate and the fact that you can apply it to wet wood, it makes a great choice for those parts of the country that have a lot of rain in the spring and the fall.

Best of Luck

Russell Cissell

Extreme Solutions, Inc.

www.esproducts.net

1-866-536-7393

636-288-8512 cell

imrcc1@aol.com

Im sure wood Tux Wet is a good product, I used the original formula Wood Tux over 3 years ago on several jobs, and it has held up well as I have went back and looked at a few, If the weather pattern doesnt change by Friday, I will try wood Tux Wet on some jobs, next week, what colors are basically the same as Ready Seal's Natural Cedar..?

Rfitz,

Let us know how your maintenance work goes on any of the WT decks you saw recently if you get the call to do them. I am confident that your result will be richer and will blend evenly for a nice finish.

Rod!~

Rfitz,

Let us know how your maintenance work goes on any of the WT decks you saw recently (when you get them that is.) I am confident that your result will be richer and will blend evenly for a nice finish.

Rod!~

RFitz,

Ouch, biting one's tongue hurts. Are you dealing with cedar? You're in St. Louis, that's cedar territory. Talk to Reed. Or email or phone on my signature line.

Rick and Beth,

Im not following either on that post to me about maintenance jobs..?

am I missing something..? although I just finished another 14 hour day which is getting tiresome, so maybe my brain is a little slow this late..? anyway please explain yourself about the maintenance thing..? I am averaging about 80% of repeat customers scheduling the 3 year maint. program, basically I charge approx. 80% of the original price of stripping, brightening, sanding 2 coats ready seal etc..etc.. which is awesome it takes maybe 1/5th the time to wash and 1/2 or less the time to stain/seal and not to mention less than 1/2 of stain/sealer, so now is when the profit margins go sky high, maintenance on existing customers decks, and house washing is very profitable, I would love to only wash houses, buildings etc.. forever and never touch a stain brush, but that isnt going to happen, especially with getting more and more into the very large commercial contracts we are getting.. Hopefully that is where this business will lead us permanately, where we are at one job site 1-2-3 + months if not longer and have only 3-5 clients instead of 500-1000 residential...?