Sign in to follow this  
John Doherty

Bid Format

As usual I'm feeling pretty stupid. I was just invited to bid a home builder for 500-600 homes per year (flatwork). Although I am currently contracted to do almost 2000 already this year, I've never had to go through a formal bid process before.

Does anyone have a format they've used with a home builder and had success with, and that they want to share? I'm looking for format only, not pricing.

Thanks,

JD

JD,

Clearly you already know that quantity alone will dictate a lower price per property. Kills me to think what we'd normally get for doing some of the contract work we have! I would think that a standard letter of intro, with what you would be providing as well as providing your insurance information should be enough to get you in the door. Our best luck has been face to face meeting - usually walk out the door with the work.

Good luck :)

Celeste

This one is a little different. Next week all of the potential vendors from every trade have been invited to a meeting (at a local hotel, it's scheduled for 3 hrs), so the builder can present the project to all of the trades. After the meeting they'll hand over the spec's and expect bids within a week or so.

I'm already an under contract with this builder so they already have my insurance info. etc.. I already have my pricing and scope of work info. I'm just looking for any input on a nice format to put it in.

Thanks,

JD

They will outline the format when you go to the meeting. Fortunately, you will be able to see who your competition is. :) They wont be duking it out at the meeting, but it is pretty interesting to see the looks on some of the competitors faces when they recognize you. You will go through a Q&A along with perhaps some slides and literature.

We have done some of these regarding janitorial contracts and they will spec out what is needing to be done, what the budget is, the hours of service, the previous contractors itinerary and the term of the contract.

We have been given a format to follow but it regarded Janitorial work which they wanted costing information for everything. With yours, I can only speculate so I will not go any further.

Rod~

Thanks to all for your responses! I have a promo pack already and I'll take the lead of the builder from the meeting, and convert it to what they want.

I'll post a follow up in a few weeks.

Thanks Again,

JD

Wanted to thank everyone again and post a follow up. The builder actually provided a cd with bid spreadsheets, scope for each trade etc. I'm dropping it off today, I'll post again in a few weeks to let you all know how it turns out.

JD