Sign in to follow this  
GymRat

Mounting Water Tanks

Just bought a new enclosed trailer and can obtain free of charge two verticle 100 Gallon water tanks. My question is can I mount these tanks on seperate sides of the trailer above the axles by just strappping them to the walls. I will be mounting the surface mount rings on the studs and using ratchet type straps around the tanks. I will use 2 to 3 straps per tank. Will this hold the tank in place, or will this be to much stress on the trailer walls. I also have some heavy guage plastic bases the tank can sit in. I thought I would mount these to the floor and set the tanks in them for extra support. The tank will recess in these plastic bases approximately 5 inches, with just the weight of the tank holding them in place and the straps holding them to the walls.

Good idea or real bad idea?

So your tank will sit on the FLOOR of the trailer with a 5" high ring of plastic around the base? 100 gallon vertical tanks won't slosh like a 500 gallon leg tank, so they won't want to try to move as much. Sounds like it will work ok. If that base is going to pull the tank away from the wall, I'd leave them out.

what are tank dimensions? Should consider the stress of the tanks on the walls if your center of gravity is too high and you drive like a nut.

John,

I think you can actually put them in either place. If it were me, I would probably want to scoot those tanks a little forward from the axles...but that is just me. I have a 275 gal. poly and I ride it just in front of the single axle of our water trailer.

Take into consideration your access to them to fill the tanks with water. Also, mentally place all your equipment in your trailer and see if it is a good fit.

John,

Whatever you do make sure you don't put them right next to the inner walls.

These tanks tend to bulg somewhat when they're full and that could cause you some headaches.

I'm looking for somewhere I can buy, or somthing I can use to make myself for straping down my 100g tank. Specificly, metal straps/lashings that I can run over the tank and bolt to the floor of the trailer. The tank is rectangle shapped. I've been trying to find somthing local, but can't seem figure out where to look. I'd rather not have to order specificly made straps that end up costing me more than the tank, but I also don't want to use nylon rachet tie downs either. Any responces would be much appreciated.

Lance,

You can use electrical conduit 3/4" or 1" should work.A muffler shop should be able to bend for you to fit the tank.There are a couple options for the ends.....for our tank the straps required "J" hooks.I'll post a pic of the ends a little later.

conduit bending tools are available at hardware stores for around $30 for the size you'll need.

Heck, if you can find the conduit in the hardware store, bend it before you buy it and save the cost of the tool itself! Just make sure to know what your dimensions of the tank are.

I use ratcheting nylon tie down straps I bought at Lowes. Make sure to check the ratings that they can handle the weight of the tank when filled.

When I ordered my trailer I had factory installed tie down rings installed in the floor. You can also buy them and install them yourself, however they won't have as high a rating as the factory installed, which are welded to the frame supports underneath.