Sign in to follow this  
Brian Sawyer

How many jobs did you get in the first couple of months of starting up?

Question

I'm considering getting into the business. I was wondering how long did it take you to get up and running. How many jobs you got starting out, and not to be to nosey, but what kind of money did you make the first couple of months.

I'm trying to convence my girlfriend that this is a good business to get into. We are going to have to make the investment in a truck and the equipment, and we are just wondering if we will be able to make enough money over the first couple of months to make the payments on the equipment.

I know that it depends on how much we work at getting our name out there. I'm very confident that we can do this. she's just not as confident as I am.

18 answers to this question

It is a good business to get into. To answer your question whether you can make enough money right away to cover your expenses.......well that's tough to say, it depends a lot on your advertising, your sales techniques, and pricing.

I wouldn't recommend jumping into anything without having a little float money to get you thru the startup period.

How much money you can make in the first few months after start up is totally dependent on how much time and capitiol you have available to market your business. It should be pretty easy to make enough starting out to at least cover your expenses and then some.

You can make alot the first year if you can figure out the advertising angle in your area plus if you are a fast learner and handy at doing this type of work. I would suggest that you consider on traveling up to Ohio to go to the PWNA convention and take there classes and NETWORK NETWOR NETWORK with the people there. You will get excited and Pumped to kick some butt!!

If you want some more info on the PWNA either call my business phone at 631-544-4971 or shoot me an e-mail with any questions that you may have.

First rule of thumb......no jumping in with both feet until you've done ALL of your homework! How busy you are and how much money you will net in the early stages depends on too many factors to list, just a few being, location, demographics, weather, what you want to do versus what you're willing to do, what you know HOW to do.

Stick around here, search old posts and ask questions.....we'll all try our best to give you a good leg up :)

Welcome aboard!

Celeste

If you are going in full time you should have enough money set aside to pay your bills for the first 6 months or more. Don't assume money will come pouring in, be positive but be realistic. Don't think you need to set up a huge business right out of the gate. Start small, buy used and keep expenses down even when money does come pouring in. Keep posting and asking questions and good luck.

There are other cost you need to consider, insurance, business licenses, if required Workers' Comp. are a few that come to mind.

What is your target area going to be, flat work, house washing, deck and wood re-finishing, fleets, hoods or some other area of pressure washing?

Consider buying a late model truck, consider buying someone who is selling his business but do get the equipment checked out be a local dealer where the seller lives.

Have you done any pressure washing? if not there are some that would allow you to work with them for a few days to a week for free to gain experience on the work and equipment. None will be in your area as competitors don't want you to know who they service.

Regardless of what line your going to be targeting I suggest a hot/cold rig. I would also recommend a 3/4 ton truck.

Now a little bit more since your in the South, an enclosed trailer or box truck rather then open trailer.

Let me ask you, do you have any experience in a service business? Are you goal oriented, meaning have you set goals and achieved them before in anything you did before, example ( businesses, sports, personnel life ), if so you on your way.

My suggestion is do it part time till you feel comfortable in dealing with the ups and downs of running a business. Another suggestion is keep your eyes open around you of potential customer. To answer your question I can not.

Any other questions PM me.

Good Luck

I would also have to suggest you staryt out part time, at least for a few months. Barry made a great suggestion on having 6 months worth of "bill money" to make sure your covered. I would hate to see someone quit their job, jump in over their head, and decide they dont like the job or its just not working out. Work 1 - 2 days a week, and see how you like it.

You dont need the biggest unit to get started. Depending on what your going to be cleaning, buy something that fits your needs and upgrade as you go. If you set a business plan with some short term goals, when you achieve them then take the next step, make some longer goals, challenge yourself more and dont forget to have some fun along they way.

First off, thanks for all the great info and suggestions.

I guess I should have given alittle more information. This will be a part time business. my girlfriend and I have full time jobs that pay very well. We have no problem paying our bills right now. The question about if we would make enough money to cover the costs of the equipment, was just about the equipment only. the other bill will not be a problem. I also have a computer repair business as another source of income. We are hoping the make about $1000 per month starting out as part-timers. I was wanting to know if this is a reasonable estimate?

We are planning to do residental work only, and maybe some commercial flatwork. I'm wanting to start with driveways and houses, then move into roofs as I learn more.

As for experience, I've done alot of pressure washing around my own house. Also I've been invited to come out to work with a few ppl to learn the ropes, which I play on doing. I'm a quick learner and when I set my mind to something, I follow through with it.

Equipment wise, the plan is to buy a truck, a cold water unit, and accessories. Then put some money into business cards and other advertising.

Is there anything that I missed?

Brian

We began on our own property, and family and friends. We had paying customers those first few months as well, but we were very up front about our newness and did alot of research before washing... Also, get insurance...it helps.

Beth

Set a goal and go for it. Making it a goal of $2500.00 and in no time 1000.00 could be in a week. Believe in yourself don't listen to neg people. But the most inportant is to look at your business as a way of helping people freeing up there time, not lining your pockets with money. Good Luck.

Charlie

Brian hold it right there on that cold water unit, you said you plan to do driveways and commercial flatwork, for flatwork you really need hot water to do the job even with all the chemicals out there.

I know little about roofs or other residental work as that was not what I did, I did industrial/commercial only and with the right repeat monthly and weeky accounts you can do very well.

Example, one of my weekly accounts paid $1240 a month at one location so you can see it does add up.

Now the hard part is getting those kind of accounts!

You ask if there is anything you missed, not really but do factor in the upkeep on equipment and breakdowns and they do happen when you least expect it too, like at 3 AM when your have 15 minutes left of a 4 hour job.

One thing I noticed was that you are in knoxville and I have to wonder what the competition is like and what the price point will be before I could address whether you will make enough money or not.

How many pw'ers are in the phone book?

How many of them that you called are still in biz?

Whats the going rate for the service in your area?

Consider that the average response to an ad is .2-.3% out of every 100.

If you get coverage like 10,000 than you can look forward to about 20-30 calls.

Of those you estimate, depending on your personability, knowledge, presentation and price, you may close about 30-40% of those which equates to about 6-12 jobs.

Most jobs get priced starting around 250 up to 750 (avg) for our area and given that as a baseline figure, you are looking at $3000-$9000 for that ad before expenses.

Supplies, chemicals, tools, labor and fuel are the leading costs.

Overhead expenses like phones, office supplies, printing, postage, office equipment, advertising (phone books, newspapers, booklets, coupon mailers, direct mail, paraphenalia like pens, magnets, business cards etc.), insurance (vehicles, business liability, workmans comp) licensing (vehicles, business, etc.) come out of that as well.

Study your market, research your supplies for pricing, availability, develope a checklist for all the items you need in order to give the service you are offering and that will give you an idea of some of the start up costs.

Head spinning yet? Dont worry, it will...welcome to being self employed!

Rod~

Make sure that you have money set aside for bills till you get those jobs. I started last year and have gotten a few accounts and get work from ads. I also have another business other than P.W.ing so that helps when things get skinny. In other words don't quite your day job until you can replace the income, or go part time. Also if you're buying used equipment make sure that you have some repair money for that fine unit that "always had the oil changed" or "I never ran the pump dry".

Jon is right, hot water is the way to go. I do alot of concrete and couldn't imagine doing it with cold.

Work hard at networking with friends and local businesses no matter what their business is, one of my best accounts came because of a friend(carpenter) who gave one of my cards to a friend of his(an electrician) who happened to be looking someone that could clean up his dad's commercial property. Moral: pass those cards out like candy.

Good luck.

P.S. I am also new to this bbs and have found it to be a wealth of information and some good humor. Thanks Beth and Rod

Shannon