Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Consultative Sales 101

How would you handle this scenario?

A client has requested an estimate from you, and you have arrived, greeted them, taken your measurements and are sitting at the table discussing your methods and what they can expect from your work.

The client is looking at what you have on your proposal and is giving you the sitting back in the chair with arms crossed pose.

The next step is where you show them your costs for the work.

The customer is obviously not comfortable with the price before you even begin to speak.

How do you handle this situation to turn it into a sale?

Can it be done?

If yes...why?

If no...why?

Rod~

I usually keep in mind that I'm there because they called me, the premise being that they need a cleaning service. Perhaps they had a different price in their mind when they called, so it's up to me to change their perception of value. I usually tell them that I provide the same *value* as everyone else if you define value as price per quality. My difference is that I give a higher quality, so resultingly there is a higher cost. I've come right out and told customers that if people want a cheap job with "at-a-glance" results, then they call someone else because I'm not about that.

Set up scenarios: I tell them that I want them to be standing at the kitchen sink and look outside at their beautiful yard not having to look through the streaks left on the windows by a cheaper service, or the dirt not removed because the cheaper guy didn't bother to clean the windows with anything but a high pressure stream. I mention how I realize that they don't like seeing spider webs and dirt accumulated on the window sills, and I understand that they don't want their friends or family over and seeing clean siding but streaky gutters or a dirty roof; I understand this because I realize they want a completely clean feel to the house, not a superficial rinse.

The point is to make it seem like it is their idea to have complete quality and not superficial cleaning and that is what and why you provide.

If that doesn't work, you can always resort to the liability issue: when they ask why I have to climb on a ladder to clean every window and why I can't just do it from the ground, I tell them about the lady with bleached carpets because her last guy tried that and forced water under the sills. Even if he did have insurance to replace it, it's still an unecessary hassle to arrange the replacement.

Oh, and yes, it can be handled tactfully and almost always with positive outcome. And if they dismiss you and say they are going to try another company, just tell them a few things they should listen for in the next person they call. As a side, I never justify my cost as a breakdown since this liberal society of ours tends to think that it's a shame to actually make a profit. And if they find out you are profiting $80/hour, they're gonna crap and try to find some punk to do it not realizing that the thousands of dollars in equipment is also necessary.

A customer is rarely going to be thrilled about price. I would say the first thing you have to do is get the first few "no's" out of the way. If the customer has taken that stance he may have a few of them ready for you. When you are done with your sales presentation, ask him if he has any further questions. He will probably say no, when his real question is about the cost. That's ok, 90% of the time anyone buys anything they question it's cost. You got your first no out of the way. Immediately begin to close him.

"Ok, Mr Johnson I'm glad I was able to explain everything so well because as you can see it is an intricate process making sure everything is done right without damaging your siding, windows or grass. Now, we have Wednesday and Thursday of next week open. Which day is more convenient for us to get in here and make this place shine?"

He will hesitate...let him... just stare at him with a smile for a minute. Either he will pick one of those days and you're done, or more likely will come a slew of objections that will serve to hide his underlying issue with price.

You need to go fact finding. Listen to him. In your scenario, Rod, you are assuming his issue is with the cost. He may well be a victim of the mentality that prevails about our business.. a bunch of hacks that spray water and damage everything in our path. If this is his attitude, $150 is going to be high. Have you spent the time educating him as to what makes SeeDirtRun a legitimate contractor? Have you showed him pictures of work that show intricasies of landscaping that were unharmed and pointed out how your meticulous methods assured that nothing was damaged? Have you offered him references to back up your claims?

It is more likely that Mr Johnson just didn't know what the process would cost and he had a price set in his mind that was unrealistic. You can see how that would happen. He just watched QVC last night and saw the .5 gpm Karcher clean a single board with mud on the top in about three seconds. That thing was on sale for $99 so how much could a housewash cost me?

There is too little space here to address every objection a customer comes up with and how to overcome it. Try to make the customer see the value in what you are doing for him. Real estate prices have risen substantially just about everywhere. Around here, a modest 3 bdrm, two bath home with a small yard can't be had for under 200k. Does Mr. Homeowner really want to save a couple hundred bucks and risk damaging that kind of investment? Does Mr Homeowner expect a painter or carpenter to walk onto his property and do anything substantial for less than 500 dollars? Why should an entire housewashing be any less?

Some contractor's may think this extensive sales process would be waste of time and that is short sighted. Because once you convince this person to use your services and you make the whole process pleasant for them, they will refer other customers who are willing to spend the right amount of money to get the job done correctly.

Hey hey hey!

So far so good, asking questions is the best place to start to get the information you need to help the customer with their needs.

Some people would get defensive and start to 'defend' their price. This is isnt consultative. Ask why they are put off by the price, and dont assume you know the answer.

Anyone else?

Rod~

Everything Ive read thus far is on the money.... They did call YOU, they know they need the service, they know it is not going to be free......

Show up on time for the estimate/meeting, nice company shirt, clean truck, smell nice, be professional (not smoking, spitting etc).... your selling YOURSELF!

To all,

I agree with Micheal. Each and everytime I have a call to do a estimate. I do the following, trim Mustache and trim goattee, put on my best white shirt with company logo imprinted, clean truck and hook up trailer and make sure it is cleaned also.

Reason being. You have about 10 seconds or less to make the first impression to the potential customer. Never a second chance. I pull up to the customers house slowly and park. Wait about 30 seconds before I exit the truck, this give you time to compose yourself and to prepare for all questions that you may think the customer is going to ask.

I always greet the customer with a handshake and a business card as I am introducing myself. Then have the customer walk with me around the perimeter of the property and have them tell me what they would like to see and then I go into the sale.

I point out the gutters that have the black streaks on them and tell them that I can get that almost if not just as white as the day they was installed. I then show them what there neighbors gutters look like as a comparison to a before and after cleaning.

I explain the entire process of how we do the Exterior cleaning. I let them know that this business is more that just spraying water and leaving" the splash and dash" method. We use industrial cleaning solutions and sometime I will tell the the exact brand, Ie d-limolene or quickclean. This lets the customer know that we are not just spraying water and bleach and leaving.

I also explain to the the downside of what the Splash and Dash contractor does and the potential for them not cleaning the gables, due to not having the right equiptment to clean that high. I pull my enclosed trailer to show that We are not your average $99.00 contractor with a hd machine and a bunch of hose hanging off working for beer money. I am here to provide you the customer a quality service and my Reputation is left on every property I do. If I do crappy work, you the customer will tell everyone you know and this is my business and I want to have your repeat business. So it is in my intrest to provide you the best quality I can.

I let them know my price include the gutter and front walkway. Splash and Dash or the 99.00 guy will not even attempt to clean the gutters. First of all his machine will not reach that high and all he may have in his cleaning Arsenal is bleach and bleach does not take off the streak therefore he cleans on the siding.

He may not even clean the sidewalk due to him not wanting to have "Wand" the walkway because it will take him all day.

I think you have to make the customer feel comfortable with you and you professionlism. I close about 85% of my estimates. I tell the customer that I am not in business to do free work just as they get up and go to there jobs for a salary and this seems to always keep my phone ringing.

I am sorry for such a long post. But this may help someone out here.

Degraffreed.

It is fact that more people buy if the like, trust and respect you. They will even pay a premium if you've done your job correctly. If you get to a point where a customer is in a postition where he's taking a defensive stance before you give him numbers, lighten him up a little! Gain repoire and find common ground. Build your case and build his confidence. Then give him the breakdown of your pricing.

It's normal to have to peel some people off the ceiling. It's a natural reflex reaction for them because they feel uncomfortable about something. It's your job to find that "something." Ask questions... Ask questions that you already know the answer to, ask questions that have a "yes" or "no" response. Ask questions that will find his hot buttons, build your credibility and will lead to a close. Price is rarely the true objection.

Here's a quick sample that can come from when you are at the WAY end of losing a sale and you get the objection of "I still need to think about it."

You say: Mr. Johnson, do you think a couple days or a couple of weeks would be long enough for you? You see, it really doesn't matter how long you think about it because you'll still be faced with the same couple of questions.. do you mind if I share those questions with you?

...he'll say "OK."

Number one, do you have a need for my service. You have clients coming over to your house every day. As a home based CPA, do you believe you have a second chance to make a first impression to your clients? Do you believe that having a brand new-looking house, deck and sparkling place of business can have an effect on them wanting to do business with you?

..he'll say "yes." But of course you need to repaint the picture for him. Press hot buttons!

2nd question) Are my services affordable. I have the knowledge, experience and qualifications to do everything you'd like and you are in the position to obtain the best services available. IS THIS SOMETHING YOU'D LIKE TO HAVE DONE EITHER NOW OR IN THE FUTURE?

..he'll say yes.

Then you say, LET'S DO IT NOW! I have my equipment and men ready to go.. we can be done in a few hours, your clients can enjoy your atmosphere and you won't have to waste any more of your precious time trying to find another contractor. We'll be out of here by 2:00, OK?

Or if he says that price is REALLY the issue it's up to you do work out a deal or leave the job. Like I said, this is just a sample and can be changed any way to fit your individual situation and is a pretty simple close. And it works! Always smile and don't be to pushy.. but sometimes a push and a reason to do business is all they really need.

Now I am going to ask a question and no one has to answer it here but to themselves.

Is talking about the "other" contractor or pushing the less than desirable results you can point out to the customer...bashing? It may be an obvious thing but if the client doesnt bring up the issue first, then how does the customer feel about us talking in regard to another company that we know nothing about and just because the results were not good, who is to say that there wasnt some arrangement to only do so much for the price? How does this look to the customer if they know something we dont? How do we know they didnt do it themselves or someone they know and care about did it. This is called shooting onesself in the foot. Asking the questions first gives you insight to avoid this.

In consultative sales, the customer is the one to bring up their pain. You may ask them about it in what ever way is applicable to the situation, but we must remember, it is "their" pain. That is where the sale is. Get to the root of that pain! Use questions that are indirect of the previous contractor and find out what they expected and did not receive, and then with that information, you can position yourself to deliver exactly what they want. The customer has told you what they want. If another contractor scenario doesnt apply, then ask questions pertaining to the job to find out why you are there. There is usually a specific reason. That reason is their pain.

If you cant give them the result they are looking for, then you can explain why and support it with documentation or research. No one wants to put themselves into the 'hot seat'.

Each response here has shown great talent in coordinating a sale and developing a relationship with the customer. In consultative sales, you actually become a friend to that customer by conducting yourself in a caring way about the situation they are looking to hire you for and helping them to find the reasons they were disappointed in the last contractor. This is part of developing trust, and once you have it, dont betray that trust. Its as valuable as word of mouth. Imagine the customer saying to someone they are referring you to...'I trust this one, they didnt let me down'. What does that mean for your business?

Who else?

Rod~