Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Article on a chemical fire

I feel bad for the guy, but this is were I get really pissed off with people. The suit is claiming that he was never properly trained in the use of the chemical nor told of the dangers. Well, self preservation should be top on EVERYONE's list. If I'm given a task to do or a chemical to use, or equipment to run, etc., I make sure that I ask every possible question about it, read over an MSDS, check it for compounds I know to be hazardous. I mean, come on, who doesn't know that alcohols are flammable??? I wish people would start taking more self responsibility before things like this happen. And en employer can't train me or refuses to pay for training, then why do the job? It's just not worth it. Sorry.

But I hope he gets better and --this the most important--that everyone who reads this article will learn from it. Again....PLEASE LEARN FROM OTHERS' MISTAKES. Now, there should be no more excuses.

peace out.

Ryan,

While you may be one to check out something, many folks figure that if they are given something by their employer it is safe. Many have never heard of an MSDS. Many companies do not want you to know what is in something, either for privacy reasons or because of possible side effects.

I feel for this guy, this really sucks, and he is lucky to be alive. I see no blame on his part as he was in the scope of his duties with the chems, and the truck at home. Had he snuck some chems out to use at home, or had the truck there without company permission, then that would be another story. I hope his employer pays dearly for this.

I feel bad for the guy, but this is were I get really pissed off with people. The suit is claiming that he was never properly trained in the use of the chemical nor told of the dangers. Well, self preservation should be top on EVERYONE's list. If I'm given a task to do or a chemical to use, or equipment to run, etc., I make sure that I ask every possible question about it, read over an MSDS, check it for compounds I know to be hazardous. I mean, come on, who doesn't know that alcohols are flammable??? I wish people would start taking more self responsibility before things like this happen. And en employer can't train me or refuses to pay for training, then why do the job? It's just not worth it. Sorry.

But I hope he gets better and --this the most important--that everyone who reads this article will learn from it. Again....PLEASE LEARN FROM OTHERS' MISTAKES. Now, there should be no more excuses.

peace out.

many folks figure that if they are given something by their employer it is safe. Many have never heard of an MSDS. Many companies do not want you to know what is in something, either for privacy reasons or because of possible side effects.

Ignorance really shouldn't be an excuse. Rampant pleading of ignorance and fallability is what has made our society so litigous. Companies/supervisors, when it comes down to it, are people. Just plain human, and humans make mistakes, humans can be stupid, and humans can be ignorant. I don't put my life in jeopardy at the sake of trusting someone else's abilities. Now, I do admit that I fly on planes and use my doctors advice, but I also look at track history and records. Try to make informed decisions, otherwise your (not YOUR, but in general) stupid (or unfortuante) mistakes are the equivalent of sprinkling a little chlorine in the gene pool.

And again I stress, I do feel bad for the guy and hope the best for him. His company should have verified that provided products are safe to use. I just don't like the premise that people automatically assume that everything they are handed is safe without question. Once upon a time there was such a thing as protecting oneself and I hate to see that that ideal is falling way to "others must protect me."