Sign in to follow this  
Barry M

What order of cleaning

Question

If I was hired to wash a customer's roof, exterior gutters, vinyl siding, wash/seal deck attached to the house, and wash concrete drive that runs right up to the deck, in what order would I clean these in?

33 answers to this question

I do the same as Don. Top to bottom. When I'm done with the driveway I rinse it off and this gives me the oppurtunity to wash off any dirt that may have gotten on garage door or deck or anything else for that matter.

I won't say that start on the roof, then gutters, then rinse down walls, finish with the driveway and then return for the deck b/c I think it would sound repetitious.

does everyone have idividual chem tanks for each different chem that would be used on different areas of the house... roof, gutters,sides, driveway etc. What has everyone found to work best for them? Thanks everyone.

Since combining the chems for each job will not only diminish their intended effects but also be EXTREMELY dangerous in some cases, you should keep them in their own containers. As for what works best....there is a plethora of information already posted and reposted in other areas of the board. Use the "Search" function at the top of the page and type in what you want and you're sure to find many answers. For example:

gutter cleaner

wood stripper

stain

stripper

housewash mix

roof cleaner

degreaser

glass cleaner

etc.....

I would go at it just a little different, Roof, Driveway, deck and finally the house and gutters. The reason I do the deck and driveway before doing the house is I always seem to make a mess on the house when doing flat work, and also I hate to do the flat work when water has pooled in the low spots from wahing the house first. Just my 02 cents worth.

I would go at it just a little different, Roof, Driveway, deck and finally the house and gutters. The reason I do the deck and driveway before doing the house is I always seem to make a mess on the house when doing flat work, and also I hate to do the flat work when water has pooled in the low spots from wahing the house first. Just my 02 cents worth.

I would much rather spend less than a minute rerinsing a few areas of the house where a little splatter made contact, than to spend 10 minutes rerinsing the whole driveway after finishing the house and gutters. Thats why I always do the driveway last. simply put, its easier to spot rinse certain areas of a house than to spot rinse a driveway.

I would much rather spend less than a minute rerinsing a few areas of the house where a little splatter made contact, than to spend 10 minutes rerinsing the whole driveway after finishing the house and gutters. Thats why I always do the driveway last. simply put, its easier to spot rinse certain areas of a house than to spot rinse a driveway.

I understand your point, but it seems a lot of times the driveway will have a large low point that will have a small pond of water right in the middle. I have to sweep the water off of the driveway caused from washing the house before I can clean it. This water splashes on the house, and I don,t clean the driveway with my Xjet, so i have to change to another tip to re-rinse the house. Maybe its just me and I am to sloppy when cleaning flat work.

I'm with you on this one CCPC.

does everyone have idividual chem tanks for each different chem that would be used on different areas of the house... roof, gutters,sides, driveway etc. What has everyone found to work best for them? Thanks everyone.

Yes. I have a seperate "tank" for the chlorine/water mix for the roof, and a housewash mix that is used for the house, gutters (unless they're in need of gutter shock), and driveway. If I have to clean a deck, I just mix up a bucket of wood cleaner (sodium percarbonate) onsite.

Most of the chems I use are in 5 gallon jugs, with the exception of chlorine (I keep it in a 30 gallon drum) and housewash soap (I keep that in a 15, and refill from the 55 gallon drum at the house as needed). I have chlorine, citracleen (housewash soap), gutter shock (for gutter streaks), RPC2000 (concrete degreaser), Roof magic (a roof cleaner that I use as a heavy duty degreaser), wood cleaner, wood stripper, oxalic acid, window cleaner, and simple green degreaser.

I would go at it just a little different, Roof, Driveway, deck and finally the house and gutters. The reason I do the deck and driveway before doing the house is I always seem to make a mess on the house when doing flat work, and also I hate to do the flat work when water has pooled in the low spots from washing the house first. Just my 02 cents worth.

I've never had a problem with water pooling on the driveway from doing the house...and I don't make any more mess of the house doing the flatwork than I'd make of the driveway doing the house...either way, I have to rinse it down...Much easier to rinse the house down (15 seconds?) after doing the driveway than to re-rinse 1/2 the driveway because I now have soap/chlorine runoff all over it.

I understand your point, but it seems a lot of times the driveway will have a large low point that will have a small pond of water right in the middle. I have to sweep the water off of the driveway caused from washing the house before I can clean it. This water splashes on the house, and I don,t clean the driveway with my Xjet, so i have to change to another tip to re-rinse the house. Maybe its just me and I am to sloppy when cleaning flat work.

Do you use a surface cleaner? I can see it being really mess if you were wanding it.

I've unless the water is 1" deep or something, you shouldn't need to remove the water prior to cleaning.

No I don't have a surface cleaner, but I realize I need to get one even though I mostly do just residential house and roof washes. I know Beth and Rod sell surface cleaners, any suggestions on a small surface cleaner for my needs of mainly driveways and sidewalks. What would be my best bang for the buck?

No I don't have a surface cleaner, but I realize I need to get one even though I mostly do just residential house and roof washes. I know Beth and Rod sell surface cleaners, any suggestions on a small surface cleaner for my needs of mainly driveways and sidewalks. What would be my best bang for the buck?

You should get yourself a 19" Whisper Wash Classic.

I've owned them for years and they're the best, I think. Maintenance is a routine thing no matter what but they're sturdy.......I can' recall how many times it's fallen off the trailer and it's still in one piece.

Around here they've come down in price to around $450-$500

Jesus, get one!!! Depends on your money....if you don't have the cash, see if you can find one used, or even a new whirl-away (a cheaper knock off of the whisper wash). Even a 16" surfacer would be much faster, and neater, than wanding!!

If you can afford it, a 24" steel eagle or whisper wash would be a good choice...I have a 28 (or 30?) in whisper wash big guy and I love it, but the price on those new approaches $900.00 or so...I bought mine barely used for about 1/2 that.

I can do a standard garage (2 cars wide, 2 cars deep) in 20 minutes, including Xjetting housewash, dwell, clean, and rinse. Even if you could do it that fast with a wand, I'm not worn out afterwards with the surfacer. And on a long, straight sidewalk? It just flies!

I can do a standard garage (2 cars wide, 2 cars deep) in 20 minutes, including Xjetting housewash, dwell, clean, and rinse.

I'm envious. Can you please tell me a bit about your equipment and process? I've got a 27" hydrotek (4gpm cold) with two 1503 tips and I'm running about 600-750sq.ft. an hour.

My process:

- x-jet 12% onto the surface (4% at the surf).

- switch to surf cleaner and clean 2 passes - 1 up/down, 1 left/right

- rinse dirt/grime surface.

I'm envious. Can you please tell me a bit about your equipment and process? I've got a 27" hydrotek (4gpm cold) with two 1503 tips and I'm running about 600-750sq.ft. an hour.

My process:

- x-jet 12% onto the surface (4% at the surf).

- switch to surf cleaner and clean 2 passes - 1 up/down, 1 left/right

- rinse dirt/grime surface.

1. Xjet housewash mix onto driveway

2. Put Xjet away and any other equipment from the housewash that isn't needed

3. Clean the driveway.

4. Cut in around the garage and anywhere else, and rinse.

The housewash mix, in a 5 gallon bucket, is 1 gallon citracleen, 1-2 gallons of chlorine, and water. the soap makes a real difference in the cleaning.

If you're going to buy then buy the best! (This will save you money in the long run!)

If you're going to buy then buy the standard sizes ....19" or 27/30". (This will save you money in the long run!)

The only time you should invest in a 16", or smaller, is if you need it for special applications.

Buying used is not a bad idea. The Whisper Washes hold up very well but if you do buy used, then make sure you replace the brush, bearings and seal kit. (not all rental establishments/owners take good care of their equipment)

If you're going to buy then buy the best! (This will save you money in the long run!)

If you're going to buy then buy the standard sizes ....19" or 27/30". (This will save you money in the long run!)

The only time you should invest in a 16", or smaller, is if you need it for special applications.

Buying used is not a bad idea. The Whisper Washes hold up very well but if you do buy used, then make sure you replace the brush, bearings and seal kit. (not all rental establishments/owners take good care of their equipment)

I agree, to a point. What you buy also depends on what you can afford, and how much you use it, and what you're using it for. If I was doing just the occasional driveway or sidewalk, a cheaper unit would be fine.

I wouldn't waste time replacing parts that aren't broken, though it's a good idea to get replacement parts so when/if you need them, you have them. I wouldn't buy from a rental place...people trash that stuff too much, and they don't sell until it's worn out...

Whatever you get, get it soon! Wanding a drive is just nuts. You either spend a HUGE amount of time, or you wind up with substandard results. It's hard to clean well and evenly with a wand without spending a LOT of time doing it. Time is money! A surface cleaner should pay for itself in a very short period of time.

I agree, to a point. What you buy also depends on what you can afford, and how much you use it, and what you're using it for. If I was doing just the occasional driveway or sidewalk, a cheaper unit would be fine.

I wouldn't waste time replacing parts that aren't broken, though it's a good idea to get replacement parts so when/if you need them, you have them. I wouldn't buy from a rental place...people trash that stuff too much, and they don't sell until it's worn out...

Whatever you get, get it soon! Wanding a drive is just nuts. You either spend a HUGE amount of time, or you wind up with substandard results. It's hard to clean well and evenly with a wand without spending a LOT of time doing it. Time is money! A surface cleaner should pay for itself in a very short period of time.

Thanks Mike for your advice. I have never used a surface cleaner, but it has to be faster and less wear and tear on the old body.

If I understand correctly, there is not much maintenace on a surface cleaner, because it has only a few moving parts. Maybe I a'm wrong (again) but it sounds like the part that would fail first would be the swivel under the unit connecting the down shaft to the spray bar.

I was thinking of a small hover unit in the 19" range.

Thanks again for the great advice

Thanks Mike for your advice. I have never used a surface cleaner, but it has to be faster and less wear and tear on the old body.

If I understand correctly, there is not much maintenace on a surface cleaner, because it has only a few moving parts. Maybe I a'm wrong (again) but it sounds like the part that would fail first would be the swivel under the unit connecting the down shaft to the spray bar.

I was thinking of a small hover unit in the 19" range.

Thanks again for the great advice

You're correct. You'll want to use an inline high pressure filter on the surfacer, which will keep you from getting debris in your nozzles or in the spinner mechanism. You also want to make sure you check and change the tips periodically as they wear. Remember, they're spinning at 2000rpm through water, sand, grit, etc, and the holes will wear, making them larger. This will cause you to lose pressure and cleaning effectiveness. Depending on the brand or model, you mean need to grease the swivel from time to time. Other than that, there's not really an maintenance involved.

A 20" would be a good size, though I've not run into anything I can't clean with 24.