Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Time Windows

When scheduling your jobs, do you use time windows when telling customers when you will be there? 1 hour window? 2 hours? 3 hours? 4 hours?

Is your target time somewhere in the middle of your window?

Do you normally run early, ontime or late?

JD, thats great if your able to do that, but unforseen problems do tend to pop up from time to time.

Anyone else care to chime in with how you handle this?

Time management is critical. I don't overschedule myself. I am usually home eating and tidying the truck waiting for the next scheduled job (which is rarely more than one a day)

As you said, Mike, unforeseen problems arise. People understand this. As soon as you have the slightest inkling that you are going to be even five minutes late, you get in touch with the customer. If you think you are going to be 20 minutes late, tell them it might be as late as an hour etc.

Last year, I made a huge blunder. Went down a one way dirt road in the bucket truck. Well by the time I could turn around I was stuck in three inches of mud. Called my kitchen cleaning crew and they were on their way to get us out. Called the customer, told them the situation. They were very nice and said another hour would not affect them, but the husband had some things to show me, so if it was going to be more than that, to call them. Well an hour and a half went by, all four of us were douched in mud and miserable. I drove to the house, and there tucked in the door was a message.. "waited to hear from you and you never called. We will call you to reschedule" Two calls to them yielded no call back. It was a painful lesson, one I will not make again. Communication is everything if you are a professional.

I give my clients a two hour window, if requested.

I've got a good reputation around here so I usually just tell them what day the job will be done and leave an invoice when finished. I've never had a complaint about how we do this in fact most of my clients love that they don't have to take off work to watch my crews work!

If they are home we walk the job with them and inspect it... If not we call them the next day to make sure they are satisfied. If not, were back out within 24 hours to fix anything they have a question about.

I use a 1 hour time frame. I will schedule, say a time of 9:00, but tell them it could be a 1/2 hour either way. If I'm going to be late any at all, I have their number and call them. I try to treat the customer the way that I would want to be treated!

Robert

I if its the first job of the day I give them a specific time, "Friday morning at 8" if its the second or later job I give an estimated time "Friday around noon." I tell them they don't have to be there I'll catch up with them or leave the invoice in the door. Haven't had a problem (knock on wood) yet.