Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Is it cool to cool, or should I stay hot?

I was informed when I got my hot water rig to always cool the burner down after use, as it will help to prevent scale build up in the coil.

Now I read in Cleaner Times to leave it hot as it will be "hot & dry" vs "cold & wet".

So what do you folks do when shutting down?

Shut the burner off and run cold water through the entire system (including hoses) for apprx 5 min to cool everything.

In the meantime we're packing.

We always cool down our hoses. Run it till the fittings near the gun are cool! Its just always been standard practice for us.

When I am done, I turn off the machine and walk away. It has not been a problem for me. I think that Ron has his guys do the same. It really is a personal preference thing.

Scott Stone

I turn the burner off and let the water run till I can comfortably hold my jumper hose from coil to reel. Just what I was taught and works for me.

Richard

The article didn't make much sense. It would never be hot and dry. Its either hot and wet or cold and wet. It seems to me that it would be less wear on the equipment to cool the system down. I don't think it will hurt the coil one way or the other, but for the most part anything that gets excessively hot tends to wear out faster.

Not if there is water remaining in the chamber. And not if the pressure in the chamber gets above 14 psi. Water may boil off at 212 (not 210), but it takes a HUGE kick of energy to get it to actually evaporate at that temperature. Simply getting it to that temp is not enough to induce boiling.

sorry for being picky...

I unhook all my hoses when done.When I get home I blow the line out with air.If I was just using cold water,water comes out when I blow the lines.If using hot there is no water when I blow it out.Its gotta be magic,if it cant evaporate...

Are you telling me that an entire coil full of water evaporates on your way home from work? That must be magic. You know when water evaporates it doesn't just disappear, it has to go somewhere. There is only one place for it to go, out the ole out hole. So you must have steam spewing out of your machine all the way home, because water just doesn't evaporate that fast in ANY situation. Especially one where it is almost completely confined.

I don't think most take you as picky......just arrogant. I have no opinion otherwise.. Just an observation.

:lgbounces

If arrogance is correcting misinformation, then I'm guilty as charged.

won't happen again......

What I was taught is that if you leave the hot water in the coil, scale is more likely to form more quickly. Hot water won't damage anything but the Potassium, lime, calcium, magnesium, vanadium etc (hard water salts) are more active and will stick much better when they are left hot inside your burner. Cooling down the machine slows down the process of scale.

I run cool water through my system after shutting off the burner. I do it to cool off the burner and my connectors, it also gives my the alternator time to recharge the battery a bit more and I hate handling hot hoses.. I also release the pressure from my lines when I shut down the rig too so they system isn't under pressure the whole time.. If I don't run cold water through the system to cool down the burner the water left inside will heat up and repressureize the system even after I release it.

With me it's just a preference, I don't have any proof either way, it just makes sense to me not to put the rig under anymore stress than I have too after all, they aren't cheap to replace!