Sign in to follow this  
daryl

Shurflo And The Xjet As One

Question

Hello every one I have an idea I wont to try out.

Can I combine a xjet and a shurflo pump set up? I purchased 150ft of xjet hose and I wont to mount it on the trailer along with the hose reel as well

I wont to buy a fifty-gallon chem. tank and use my xjet when I need it or use the shurflo when I need to apply my chem.@ 2gal per min an not make a mess or use the xjet and go thru a 5gal pail in a matter of mins. Would it be hard to set up? Will the union work at all? I’m trying to make my rig one-man user friendly. What do need to do?

26 answers to this question

Daryl,

The x-jet is meant for downstream injection at pressures of 2000 psi or more and will not work with a shurflo set up because the pressure is too low.

Instead, put a wand on the end of the hose and go to town. :)

Save the x-jet for house washing.

my .02

Rod~

Rod~

Yes it works. Be sure to install a shutoff valve in your chem line.

Positives: You mix chemicals one time per day. No dragging a bucket around or having it spill onto grass. No priming problems when using 6 ft wand or longer extension wand. When you need to use it for a roof or deck, you just plug in a wand.

Negatives: You have to refigure your final chemical ratio.

I strongly recommend this type of setup for a one man show. I use a 25 gal tank that is predrilled to mount the ShurFlo 3 gpm pump (machine is 5.6 gpm), a 12 volt tractor battery that I paid 25 bucks for at Pep-Boys, and 200 feet of 3/8" hose on a portable hand carryreel. This is my first season using this setup and I love it.

No Ken, you've got it right.

A couple people run a tank of chems from their rig and use the shurflow pump to pump it through 200' of hose to thier xjet.. You do want a shut off valve though so you can put the shurflow into bypass and not keep pumping chems when you don't want them.

I don't see any benifit to that set up with the added headaches of having another 200ft of hose to tangle with and a shurflo pump that needs to be properly charged and cleaned everytime you wash a house. I use a 20 gallon drum mounted to a hand truck with 50ft of hose and it is easy peasy Japanesy. Lately, I've heard others thinking of going back to downstreaming because of the hassle of caring buckets around, and honestly, I would to, if I was filling and hauling 5 g. buckets around houses all day. I tried that method before doing the cart mount and found that the cart mount saved much more time and energy then the buckets. Also, I believe a hose reel mounted to the cart is completely unessesary as well. You can wrap the 50ft of hose around the handle of the cart in about 30 seconds.

Hey CCPC,

I have to agree, your house cart is easier and I've been thinking about building one of them myself actually.. Can you email me a picture of yours so I can see how it's set up? My email address is henryshousework@aol.com

The setup I mentioned is something I do when I'm working high up on a lift and I'm pumping chemicals from a couple of 45 gallon tanks I have mounted on my rig... When your trying to draw soap up 50' in the air you need the extra push from a shurflow to get it up there to you!

Good evening guys and gals, I wont to thank everybody who has respondent to the idea I had on the xjet -shurflo combo. If any one has any pic they would like to share by all means post so I or we who have this issue can get an idea on how it looks and how well it works for you and your employees. I had my first roof wash of the season and book their next-door neighbor for the following weekend. I really need to get it up and running before I get to busy. One quick question how do you get the Wright mix when down streaming and how would it benefit the one-man rig set up?

(Hello every one I have an idea I wont to try out.)(I purchased 150ft of xjet hose and I wont to mount it on the trailer along with the hose reel as well)( I wont to thank everybody who has )

I thought well maybe he was in a hurry and spelled want with an o.Then on his second post he did the same thing.Some people (including me) are bad spellers but I'm wandering if the A on his keyboard does'nt work when he is typing that word.lol

When I first got into residential stuff, I met up with Dale from Sparkling Detail to give me some pointers. He had a setup with a cart and a 50 gallon drum for his housewash. It works well if you have a ramp and the room for the drum and handcart.

I guess both setups have their advantages and drawbacks. For me dragging 3/8" clear poly-braided house is much less hassle than unloading a drum and then trying to maneuver it through expensive landscaping. There are also times when I want a flow of chemicals to a certain area with containable spray (roof, back of a chimney, area where paint is very fragile, etc). This is when I have the option of just popping the wand onto the chemical line and spraying direct. Also as Henry mentioned, when doing high commerical work or even a house where you are using a lift, there is no way an X-Jet is going to draw chemical vertically through 50 ft of hose without a boost.

As far as cleaning the pump and line, it gives me more options too. I can usually find an isolated portion of property with mulch or area where I am not worried about harming any vegetation, plug the input line of the chemical pump into my reserve tank and let it run self cleaning while I do other things.

Negatives: You have to refigure your final chemical ratio.

As for the bucket cart, I started doing that this year with a 15gal bucket a pair of black rubber straps. Works better than 5gal buckets unless you're on uneven ground or ground with a steep grade. In those situations the bucket can be very difficult to move and/or become quite prone to tipping. I'd be rather leary of going much larger than 15gal.

I am interested in an xjet-shurflow type of setup, and this always been a question of mine. How does "force feeding" the xjet affect the final chem ratios, and how does one re-calc new ratios?

Also, has anyone ever run raw chems through a hose reel? I'm thinking of stacking a hose reel on top of my HP hose reel and equipping it with 250ft of 3/8 tubing. Zip tie the Xjet hose to the gun and pull both at one shot.

There are alot of smart cookies here, surely we can devise a setup that offers the benefits of the x-jet (high ratios, instant-off chems) with the benefits of downstreaming (no buckets to drag, no second hose)

Another question I've always had is this: Why can someone not produce a downstream injector that will mix at ratios up to 2:1?

Here are some pictures of how I have my cart stored on my trailer. I built a special 2ft wide drop down gate on the back just to wheel the cart on and off. With this design, I can access the hoses without dropping the gate if need be.

post-497-137772142249_thumb.jpg

post-497-137772142255_thumb.jpg

post-497-13777214226_thumb.jpg

As for buckets compared to carts there is no comparison. I think those that knock the cart mount vs the bucket have either never tried the cart, or did not have it set up for optimal effeciency. Also, sorry to say, but dragging a 20 gallon cart with 15 g. of liquid in it is easier than carrying 1 or two full five gallon buckets, and, if its plumbed like mine, you never have to worry about spilliing buckets on the lawn, as the container is virtually sealed with a coupler plumbed through one of the openings with o rings.

Very nice setup, CCPC. I can't see why anyone wouldn't choose your type of setup over carrying around a bucket. For me I prefer not lugging any type of liquid around and space was the bigest issue (as in, I have none inside the van) so the shurflo setup was the answer because I mounted the tank to the top of the van next to the bucket lift. Now I have to get a more permanent reel mounted up there and I'm set (til next week that is)

I'm planning on building something almost exactly like ccpc but I'm thinking about building it with a square tank on a 4 wheeled cart so I don't have to worry about the thing getting knocked over or balancing it. I can either mount a cheap hose reel on top of the square tank or just wrap it around it. I like the design you have though plus it's compact since the size is in height, not width.

Henry,

We did the hose reel on the cart.It's not worth the trouble to be very honest.Like Lance(CCPC) said it's just as easy to wrap the hose around the cart.

Don't forget you'll need a vent hole to keep the Xjet from sucking the sides of your tank in.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1973&highlight=xjet+cart

I also tried the reel mounted over the tank.We just didn't like it...something else in the way when you were done with a job.

I'm planning on building something almost exactly like ccpc but I'm thinking about building it with a square tank on a 4 wheeled cart so I don't have to worry about the thing getting knocked over or balancing it. I can either mount a cheap hose reel on top of the square tank or just wrap it around it. I like the design you have though plus it's compact since the size is in height, not width.

Mine is almost identical. The thing I dislike about mine is that it is top heavy (hence the tippiness). I would rather have a cube tank slung lower.

Henry,

We did the hose reel on the cart.It's not worth the trouble to be very honest.Like Lance(CCPC) said it's just as easy to wrap the hose around the cart.

Don't forget you'll need a vent hole to keep the Xjet from sucking the sides of your tank in.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1973&highlight=xjet+cart

I also tried the reel mounted over the tank.We just didn't like it...something else in the way when you were done with a job.

Just like mine, but I noticed that you used a QC on the xjet line. I haven't had much success with QC's on suction lines. Did you do anything special?

Also, what's the max tube length for an X-jet draw line.

CPCC, how do you measure your bleach for the 15gal tank? I've recently been eyeballing how much I pump from 5 gal buckets, but I'd like to start carrying bleach in larger tanks but measuring had held me back.

Philip,

Without assisting the flow....50' would be the maximum I would use.We have 3 hoses for our xjet 1-15',1-30' and 1-50'.depending on hopw tight the work area is determines which hose we use.The 50' stays on the cart all the time...the other 2 are kept in the tool box unitl needed.

Mathew Johnson uses a shurflo assisted Xjet system(200ft of hose) he purchased from Dale Millere whom is no longer in the business.Matt loves the set up from what he's told me.I think he said he does use more chemicals but not sure how much more.

Check out the stick for measuring,

http://www.thecleanernetwork.com/showthread.php?t=3179

My tank has 5 gallon markers going up the side of the drum. I eyeball my amounts using these increments. Scott made a good point about venting the tank when using the xjet. I had another setup I used when doing roofs using the xjet and I left the lid secured on my 5 gallon bucket of chems after using it for a few minutes I turned around and the bucket was sucked in like a tin can.

My tank has 5 gallon markers going up the side of the drum. I eyeball my amounts using these increments.

Ah. Not mine, I am using a pair of 15-20 gal blue tanks like seen above.

Scott made a good point about venting the tank when using the xjet. I had another setup I used when doing roofs using the xjet and I left the lid secured on my 5 gallon bucket of chems after using it for a few minutes I turned around and the bucket was sucked in like a tin can.

I am venting, but not for that reason. I assumed that when it pulled a vacuum the x-jet would stop drawing. I find it interesting that the XJ will flatten a bucket but not prime itself with a wand longer than 6ft.

I've never had it flatten a bucket before but I have had it suck in the sides pretty good..lol

I'm planning on going with a 4 wheel setup and 50' of hose wrapped around the handle, when I have time to build it I'll post pictures..

Henry,

Don Phelps has a nice trailer set up for his xjet and a shurflo.It's a 4 wheel wagone with tank and hose reel.Maybe he will post a pics.It's something I may try when I rearrange our trailer.