Sign in to follow this  
James

Warning Mahogany wood being Pre- coated

Question

I went to Quote a deck that was built in Nov. . I was refered and the people know my system. When I was taking measurements and it looked like a finish had failed on the wood. So I ask the home owner if a coating was put down.? He said no ! That's why you'er here. So I did a test spot anyway. It was coated. He called the builder and yes it was pre- coated with Super Deck. Then called the lumber company all the Mahogany they sell is pre- coated with super Deck. I asked why and who is this benifiting, They cut me off and could not answer my questions. He did say just recoat it with Super Deck!

This is a major problem. The home owner didn't know the wood was coated. And if I didn't have a lot of mahogany Knowledge I would have made a big mistake. It say's on Super Decks lable for exotic woods it must season for 3 to 4 weeks. So I don't know what they are doing pre- coating the wood for. If wood isn't done correct the first time all finishes will fail in the future. I had to quote stripping a brand new deck!!! I'm not sure who's paying yet? But the builder and lumber guy are trying to paint me as jerk. I love this stuff !!

8 answers to this question

It is not just in your area I have a mah deck I am bidding on now that has the same problem. He wants the same color comsistency as when he purchsed it. Right it might happen. Deck builder relly screwed the guy, he place some boards too close togther and others have a 1" to 1.5" gap. He wants that fixed too. And as usual the builder does not return phone calls.

It's a big problem most new mahog. is being sold with Super Deck. Big problems for the next two years. I went to a couple of lumber companies they did not like me or my questions......