Sign in to follow this  
Degraffreed

Apartment Bids

Question

To anyone who has done apartment buildings.

I have a bid on a complex that has a total of 152 units, all vynil siding heavy mold. My question is this. Do you bid by the building or by the square foot?

There are four units that are three stories, nothing my xjet can not reach, then the rest are 8 units, two story units.

I can take on something of this magnitude. I am looking at bidding by how long I think each unit will take. EX.The 3 story units units are about 9912 sqft. I look at giving a time frame of 3hours for front and back, .5 for the sides and 1hour for breeze way and side walks around the rear of the unit for a estimate of five hours a 16 unit building and bidding $1200.00 @four unit =$4800.00

Then there are 7- 8unit 2 story heavy mold looking at 4 hours a building including sidewalk and breezeway @ 800= $5600.00 Throw in the leasing office and clubhouse for another 300.00.

I this total bid Outrageous. I want to win this bid so any suggestion TONIGHT would be appreciated.

Degraffreed

11 answers to this question

That sounds way too high. Even if it takes you all day to do one of the three story units. With one helper, no lift rental you might shoot for $650 per building. The two story units, I would think $450 apiece 2 per day.

I would feel comfortable bidding $5000 for the whole job. I think at over ten g'd they will politely (or maybe not so politely) tell you to walk.

I'm with Ken on this one. Two buildings a day at $450 a piece = $900 for an 8 to 9 hour day is pretty good. You say you would like to get the job, so I would throw in the clubhouse and leasing office for free. HOA's and apartment complex managers love to see free stuff.

If 10g's is what the job would be worth, based on your normal rates then I certainly wouldn't cut it by half. I'd bid somewhere around 6.5 - 7.5g's.

Give me a call at the number below. I'm up for another couple of hours.

I am new to the industry and forum so pardon my ignorance. However, common sense and 20 years of business experience leads me to believe that different parts of the country will have vastly different price structures. If you take a broader - 50,000' elevation - look at the situation cost of living varies widely and so should labor rates. Based on this how can one determine from other pros what the market pricing should be without applying a cost of living or regional adjustment.

Here is a classic example. While I am just getting started in PW this really is an addition to our current pool construction, restoration and pool service business. In the areas we service we can get a lot more for a high end pool finish than the same finish in South Florida. Why? Because we target consumers in highly affluent areas of Northern NJ and differntiate ourself through quality of service and being very vertically aligned. The latter point is actually contradictory since vertical companies shoudl charge less not more since there costs are lower but we sell for a premium since we can control the entire process which is critical for quality. Sorry I digressed into marketing.

My question is do we as a communtiy (feeling at home already so I added the 'we') have any information on regional pricing and how to make adjustments to price accordingly?

Thanks for any help,

M Pearlstein, welcome to the board. There are many factors that will influence price but the difference is not as great as a single factor like the cost of living index might indicate. Florida guys work year 'round and have more repeat cleaning so that factors into pricing. An above board contractor with all the neccessary insurance, equipment and legal/accounting assitance will obviously need to charge more than a fly by night'er, and of course market saturation casts a strong influence on pricing.

If you look at labor rates acrossed the US, the difference between high and low is usually under ten percent. Yet the differences in final prices charged even within one demographic may be as high as 50%. (I am usually double the price of the weekend warriors in my area) To me, the time when someone errs is when they work their tail off for average wages they could earn in a regular job with a helluva lot less stress. Stick around, MP, you will learn much.