Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

water supply question and tip

Question

I've got a pool deck job coming up and the customer has no water pressure at all. I'd like to get a submersible pump with the garden hose connection,to drop in the pool, but do these have a pressure relief valve? I saw the lake-draw thing they have at Delco, but it's just a hose with a screen. Does that make sense?

I had a job today where there was a well with very low water pressure, so I Mcgyvered a y connect into my machine using 2 garden hoses, one from each feed off the house. Worked like a charm.

Can you tell that I really need to haul my own water?!...... Workin on it.

35 answers to this question

HD-80 is supposed to get warm - it's part of the chemical reaction in Sodium hydroxide.

Did you use the same water to mix your neutralizer????? If you're using oxalic to neutralize/brighten....I don't know if I would have risked the chlorine in the pool water mixing with oxalic - could have turned out REAL bad!

The pool was from last year, so the chlorine level was not that high, but I did notice that when I mixed my HD-80 stripper with the pool water my sprayer was warm to the touch....I guess the 2 were interacting.

Sodium Hydroxide, as in the HD80 will make even the coldest water heat up when mixed.

I'm not sure why it matters, but my machine is direct drive.

A belt drive machine will do a better job of sucking water, since the pump is spinning at a lower rpm. Direct drives do better when they are pressure fed.

When I first started the biz I remember a fence job where I mixed a bucket of citralic and I added some bleach thinking it would help..............big mistake.

In this image, it looks like there is a fire hydrant meter on the back of this truck. Although, it could be just a backflow...

http://www.thegrimescene.com//gallery/showimage.php?i=106&c=5

That is one version of a hydrant meter, note the spanner wrench and roll of fire hose nearby.

That is one version of a hydrant meter, note the spanner wrench and roll of fire hose nearby.

Yep, that's a hydrant meter. Looks just like the one enclosed in my massive county issued cage....

I see alot of you tap from fire hydrants. I have contacted a few city water dept when I needed water and they wont allow acsess. Theuy say they have problems when hydrants are used for lower gallon quantities as compared when the fire dept hooks up cause they will pull out several thousand gallons. Anyone else ever run into this?

Do they offer permits and meters so they can charge you for the water? It's not free. I would be surprised if you can't access it with a permit and meter, since all construction companies need water, and when construction is under way, there is no water until they are ready to plumb.

Beth

I see alot of you tap from fire hydrants. I have contacted a few city water dept when I needed water and they wont allow acsess. Theuy say they have problems when hydrants are used for lower gallon quantities as compared when the fire dept hooks up cause they will pull out several thousand gallons. Anyone else ever run into this?

Nope. Pay a deposit, get a meter, and let 'er rip.

To be honest, I think the meter is even an optional accessory. I've reported several thieves who pumped up dozens of times over several hours time. One was even using the hydrant in front of the house under construction to hydroseed ALL DAY. Call and wait. Call and wait. Not once have I seen a cop or a water dept official stop to check for a meter or a permit.

I'm an honest guy, but they won't even take a few minutes to stop blatant theft 1/4 mile from the water authority office then why the heck should I take the time and effort to jump through their bureaucratic hoops over and over in each and every municipality I work in....