Sign in to follow this  
Degraffreed

Remote Control

Have anyone out there installed a car remote starter to your PWer? I am thinking of maybe installing one of these in order not always having to walk back and forth to start and stop the unit. I have not by-passed to my tank yet. If someone is going to ask me this question. The guy at the car shop said it can be done. Any thoughs good or bad. Hit me.

DeGraffreed

I was just about to make the same exact post. I think it's a very good idea, especially if you are a one man show. I have done jobs without a helper where the machine was 200 ft away. It's a major time waster not to mention tiring to go back and forth.

Why did you want to shut it off? If you want to change to another gun or a surface cleaner just use a ball valve. Or is there another reason?

I'm not kicking the idea, I'd thought about doing the same thing until I used ball valves.

I am a one man show 65% of the time and ball valves have saved me many wasted trips to the trailer. I washed for three years before making the switch because I always thought it would suck dragging around a ball valve, but now I don't even notice. Does the remote starter also shut off machine or are you going to be walking back anyways?

I do the same thing Henry. One thing to watch out for with doing that is this: it adds something else to the mix if there is a problem with machine starting. One more thing to diagnose. Bypass your pump and let it run. i will let my run and just use a ball valve. If you are far away from machine how can you be sure your remote is going to work. Especially after you get it wet or drop it in a puddle, I know that is what I would do.

Sometimes you shut it off while you change chemical, mix more chemical or are waiting for dwell. Mostly this on/off occurs during deck work. On hot days you have to work in sections. Also doing hoods you have to frequently stop to scrape or rinse an area.

I can think of many occasions that a remote start or bybass would be handy, neither of which I have rigged up. examples: deck work as Ken mentioned, somtimes you may need to stop during cleaning to move equipment around, move some things out of the cleaning path that the customer neglected to move before you arrived, If your machine starts acting up suddenly or you blow a hose, and somthing that happens frequently for me, phone calls, customer comes out to discuss somthing while your way in the back away from your machine, or a neighbor approachs you to ask you some questions.

Pressure Pros and CCPC good points about dwell time and phone calls/customers. The remote starter makes good sense if it will also shut the machine down. I just have never seen one that has a shut down option, but if this is possible sounds like it would really come in handy.

I do the same thing Henry. One thing to watch out for with doing that is this: it adds something else to the mix if there is a problem with machine starting. One more thing to diagnose. Bypass your pump and let it run. i will let my run and just use a ball valve. If you are far away from machine how can you be sure your remote is going to work. Especially after you get it wet or drop it in a puddle, I know that is what I would do.

That's what I do. I spoil fresh water to the ground when running off supply and recirc to the tank when running off the tank. Everything I have is fitted with 1/4in QC's (like Alan) so I use my trigger to stop flow and change. Ball valves are heavy, hard to toggle, and need to be replaced about every 3 months.

The only time I stop the pump is to pack up, or when I get tired of hearing it running.

I know a remote shut off would have come in handy when something close to our pump blew while we were using hot water last year - had to reach through some pretty warm water to get to the key! And it really is hard to talk over all that racket.

Curious what kind of ball valve is going bad in 3 months? I have had my primary ball valve for a year and a half and it works just like it was new. I use a flow actuated unloader.

Pressure Pros and CCPC good points about dwell time and phone calls/customers. The remote starter makes good sense if it will also shut the machine down. I just have never seen one that has a shut down option, but if this is possible sounds like it would really come in handy.

the auto remote starters also shut the vehicle off......the same 2 buttons that start it, will shut it down when running.....at least thats how the 3 we have work......we have DEI Pythons on our vehicles, also, here too, you get what you pay for, to many horror stories about the bestbuy or kmart remotes...fires starting in the ignition, and that would be worse on a rig being so close to fuel for the engine and burners......

they also have accessory buttons, IE: the button that would say, unlock the trunk of a car could be set up to remote start the burners etc etc....

If you guys are doings decks why not insert the soap nozzle and let water flow to the yard. I doubt that you are down streaming to the deck anyway.

As far as a reliable and inexpensive way to turn your 110 burner on and off try the GE brand at Home Depot. Mine was around $20.00 and has a range of 150' confirmed.

At $2.20 a gallon there is no need to burn unneeded diesel fuel!

I have been thinking about doing this for a long time! As I see it it would work just fine I just havent had the time to do it! I know a keyless entry model works well on just changing over from chem to chem as well as the boiler on/off. ie 3 button remote (2 doors 1 trunk) work with the door buttons for the chems and the trunk button for the boiler. the remote starter I have on my vehicle has the same 3 button features and you just push the door buttons together to start and shut off the car! I dont see why it wouldn't work. However, like said before it might add to your trouble shooting if having a problem starting the PW. And as said before you get what you pay for so dont go to kmart or something cheap, and if possible have someone who really knows the workings of it all to install it!

Just my .02

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!