Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Labor For Learning Liability Issues

I have been approached by several guys willing to do exchange labor for the chance to learn. Some of them are not yet established businesses (no insurance) I am concerned about liability. If someone were to get hurt on the job, they are not my employees therefore are not covered under my workman's comp or my damage liability insurance. They are also not certified to be subcontractors.

How do you guys/gals handle this? Do you just have someone stand around and watch? I am not real keen on this idea, either. I want to help someone all that I can to get started properly and learn proper technique, but you are talking about having uninsured people hovering around a jobsite where there are dangerous chemicals, high powered machinery and ladders and that makes me uncomfortable.

We do them as subcontractors......if they receive any monetary compensation, they will get 1099'd at the end of the year provided they've received over $600. If someone sticks around long enough to make $600 with us as a trainee, we'd probably keep them :)

For guys that already have insurance, you just have to get them to do a Certificate of insurance same as you do for your client, they just put your name in the box as the insured.

Now, if you're using another company, if they don't carry Worker's Comp and you pay them, even as a sub - it will affect your payroll which does increase your WC premium.

Celeste

I think that even if you are treating them as a subcontractor and they get hurt on your equipment, you will get sued...

Check with the IRS... There are specific requirements for a person to qualify as a sub-contractor; one of them is that they have thier own equipment.

If they spash your sodium hydroxide in thier eyes, you are on the hook for it,,,

I have had someone ask me to work for labor for learning... I sent it to my attorney and he listed about 9 different ways I could get sued...

If they get hurt on your clients property.... your client can get sued as well.

If they knock out a window or peel paint... Who's insurance pays for it? The company under contract or the sub-contractor working for free?

Beth and Rod have thier bases covered with puttng them on the payroll.

Matt

Thank you, Matt. This is exactly what I was thinking as well. I regretfully have to decline on any offers to do labor for learning. I am available at anytime via phone to answer any questions I can.

Can't a person interested in learning on the job "shadow" you on a rig? For example, you are the one that is spraying chems and he is off to the side watching. Just a thought.