Sign in to follow this  
Crownroyal

Has anyone ever

Question

Has anyone ever tapped off wood decking or railing to make patterns with stain? (symbols,designs)

Or can you do that type of work and have it come out right.

I am going to make a deck and stain for a customer and She wondered if I could mask off parts and make a design in the wood with stain. I've never done it but Im willing to give it a try and she said she didn't care if i had to strip and do it again if it didnt come out right.

Anyone with thoughts on problems or what might be a good product to use?

7 answers to this question

Has anyone ever tapped off wood decking or railing to make patterns with stain? (symbols,designs)

Or can you do that type of work and have it come out right.

I am going to make a deck and stain for a customer and She wondered if I could mask off parts and make a design in the wood with stain. I've never done it but Im willing to give it a try and she said she didn't care if i had to strip and do it again if it didnt come out right.

Anyone with thoughts on problems or what might be a good product to use?

That's a new one for me ...what is that she wants her initials,name on the deck?

My guess you would have to use a solid stain to keep it from wearing off too fast.Now if it doesn't work out you can always stain over the designs and try to blend them in.

You really don't want to have to strip the deck too often it's not so great for the wood.The less you strip a deck and only have to light clean and re-seal the better.

Yes, I have done this and it came out very nice. We used a yellow solid stain and put a sunburst in the floor of the decking. The body of this deck was done with Cabot Natural Cedar 3000 series. The customer provided the pattern and it was time consuming. Charge good money for this as their is an extra day involved. Sorry I have no picture. If I go by there this coming week I'll take a picture of what is left. It was done about three years ago.

Thank you for some info and food for thought. I think I will be testing it out on a smaller make up of a deck to see how it comes out and how I can tackle this one. Yes she wants A design in the deck. Not sure yet what it looks like but Will find out soon.