Sign in to follow this  
glock40

vinyle siding

Question

Hey question for the guys out their. I was offered a residential powerwash job on a 2200 square foot house. Light color vinyle siding. what type of fan is recomended for this job. I dont want to peel the pain of the vinyle.

i could use some good advice on this one guys. Email me at hucableguy@sbcglobal.net

Thanks to all that help

16 answers to this question

Glock, hang around buddy, lot's to learn. Most of us use an X-Jet for applying soap and rinsing. You need to research housewash detergent, sodium hypochlorite, the X-Jet, and pricing. Feel free to give me a call if I can help you out.

Sorry for getting back so late. Im not to sure if its painted vynle or just baked on from the warehouse. Tell me both ways to approach this.

Thank to all

Painted Vinyl????

Yep, my neighbor did it. The painters used a special and not to cheap paint for vinyl siding. I thought he was absolutly nuts, but it's been 2 years later and it looks great. It doesn't look like latex. If you didn't know, you'd never know it was painted. FWIW, it was sprayed on.

xjet is the solution , but what type of fan am i useing on this house. i run a 3200 psi honda powerwasher. ?

The short answer is "just enough to apply the chems" and "just enough to rinse the residue." With vinyl you shouldn't need much in the way of direct pressure. You're going for a wide coverage area on this type of surface, not a directed high pressure stream....let the chemicals do the work of cleaning.

Ryan thanks for the reply so fast. This is very good to know. Hey ryan have you seen any good dvd videos that show some residential pressurewashing. the how too's?

I've heard of videos that give "instruction" but they were primarily supplements to "start your own pressure business" kits. From what I've read (and in my opinion, which may or may not be worth a rat's fart), the instruction method isn't that hot and is very basic. I can give you some ideas of things I learned early on (mostly learned from mistakes and inefficiencies) if you'd like. Give me a call this weekend (saturday morning around 9 am would be fine) if you'd like @ 770-490-7610

Hmm....hey Beth! Perhaps this video thing is something you can do....weren't you working on a magazine? Put together a training series featuring REAL professionals who really know their stuff.

Hahahaha like the last paragraph Ryan. Always thinking about how to make a buck. I sure will give you a call this saturday you on eastern time or another zone?

Ryan thanks for the reply so fast. This is very good to know. Hey ryan have you seen any good dvd videos that show some residential pressurewashing. the how too's?

Delco has a couple. The video is homemade and they are certainly not how-to guides but when I was just getting my feet wet it was nice to watch real PW'ers in action. It's not like you can stop at a competitive jobsite and hang out awhile.

One BIG beef about delco's video. Their "something (i forget) and decks" video has not one single deck on it. I called to complain, and they said that they were sorry i was unhappy. No refund, no swap, no recommended alternative video. I was happy with the "something" and there was plenty of it so I kept it. But it was the LAST video I bought from delco. If you call, tell them why you won't buy their "decks" video. BTW, they still sell that same video as "XYZ and decks".

Philip

P.S. If anyone from delco is listening, you STILL owe me a deck wash video. Go shoot some and send it to me. Or remove "decks" from your video title. Either way, I'll be happy (and quiet).

The short answer is "just enough to apply the chems" and "just enough to rinse the residue." With vinyl you shouldn't need much in the way of direct pressure. You're going for a wide coverage area on this type of surface, not a directed high pressure stream....let the chemicals do the work of cleaning.

Exactly...If you're applying your chems in sufficient concentrations, you can rinse with a soap tip, or even a garden hose.

The size of the fan spray (15, 25, 40, 65 degrees) doesn't make that much difference...the key is to use as low pressure as possible. I rinse just about everything with a 2515 tip, and have had no problems (on a 3000psi 5.6gpm machine).

As far as the Xjet goes, I just switched over to a high quality downstreamer, and have found I get the same results as I did with the M5 Xjet, and no buckets or additional hoses. I use about the same amount of chems, but only have to mix one 5 gallon bucket (4 gallons of 10.5% and 1 gallon of citracleen seems to work well) and it's been just enough to do a typical 2500 square foot single story house. I'm loving it!

Be careful its not that recycled siding. You can tell if its color on the outside and black underneath. You CAN wash the paint right off that stuff. I ran into that in cleveland on a 400,000 home.

Andy