Sign in to follow this  

I finally got around to cleaning my coil today and boy what a mess it was. It looked like burnt motor oil. I used the KO powdered acid to do the deed, but the local dealer said they use Muriatic.

I plan to do this more often, as the junk in the coil was tremendous. How often is everyone else cleaning theirs? Mine saw quite a bit of recycled water and I am sure that has a major impact on scaling.

I did mine for the first time since 1999 3 months ago. As you can imagine it was dirty as all get out. I have heard to clean them every 6months to a year. I am going to do mine once a year from here on out.

Richard

I did the deed again but the results were not as good as before. I had a 700 psi difference with pressure before and after the coil.

Last time I ran it thru my pw pump for about 1 hour. This time I used a water bed pump and some various forms of acid, and it ran for 6 hours. I did not get nearly as much nasty as I did the first time.

What is everyone using for pumps? I see that Dultmeier has an acid pump for coil cleaning, but it says it is 6.3 psi. Is that enough to get thru a 150' coil?

What kind of acid is everyone using? I feel the Ko did a better job than my garden variety shelf mix.

Sulfamic acid is the easiest, safest route. It's in a powdered form, and can be used through the pump on the washer. I also use a chemical called Lime Free that is designed for use with dishwashing machines. Always works great. I wouldn't run muriatic through coils very often unless it's inhibited...muriatic is iron hungry.