Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Fuzzies on Cedar Poll

When I get fuzzies on a deck I .....  

71 members have voted

1. 1. When I get fuzzies on a deck I .....

• Thoroughly make sure most of them are gone from all deck parts
    • Do a once over and remove them from obvious problem spots
    • Only remove them from vertical surfaces
    • Don't sweat them, they add to the decks non-skid properties
    • I am Deck-Man. I never get fuzzies.

Question

Today is the final prep and seal commence on a deck I posted about last week. Strong chem mix, extended dwell time factored with varying thickness of prior sealer on an extremely soft variation of cedar has resulted in a pretty fuzzy deck. This thing is no baby at 1500 elevated square feet. So I have my work cut out for me

To what level do you guys get into getting rid of this look?

38 answers to this question

As a youngblood, I've played and played with my chems and still get a little fuzz. I'm thinking of trying F-18 as everybody i seem to talk to is all about it. Most fuzzing I get is on spindles, where yes, I have gone as far as removing all the spindles and using a table belt sander brought them smooth as a baby's bottom. On some occasions I would think it would actually be easier to replace the spindles. Truth is as I'm learning more and more ontop of what I already know I'm accepting the role and feel obligated to correct any blemishes caused by any errors on my behalf. Fuzzies are there, but the frequency is going down as well as the severity.

Tony I have 15 inch floor buffer and put the black stripping pads on. I call it " Defurno" work great.

I have a 20", a 20" auto, and a 32" auto. Been using very openweaved 3m Hipro for stripping inside vinyl for about 20 years. Haven't tried dry on wood though. Also use the round sand screens (at HD) for floor machines on vinyl,concrete,and interior wood floors. I would question them working on decks though. I think they would rip apart in nothing flat.

On the Osborne... Not sure if it is round or square bristles but Osh (Orchard ) has them way cheaper then what I hearing here...

Most fuzzing I get is on spindles, where yes, I have gone as far as removing all the spindles and using a table belt sander brought them smooth as a baby's bottom.

Are those cedar or PT spindles?

You still sand rough sawn cedar spindles if fuzzy?

Ken,

Osborne Brush=buffing bliss

Hess Log Home Supply in PA would have them, dont have a web address but would be an easy search. You guys try these, you'll never look back. Goes on the Makita 9227C or similar buffer. I saw Harbor Freight has a 7" buffer on sale for 29.99. Probably work fine, no more than guys like us use one of these tools. Just make sure and get the SQUARE bristles.....if you find prices on these brushes ranging from $65-$85, the lower price is for ROUND bristles, less abrasive. The person selling them to you may have no idea about the difference, and for that reason, get them from one of the first two places I linked to.

I bought the pneumatic 6" random orbital from HF last week. Anyone think the Osborne run off it or do I need an pnuematic angle grinder. Am trying to go all air tool.

p.s... just now noticed how old this thread is...anyone got newer info on availability and pricing of the osbornes?

Once yall get the fuzzies off do you just stain over it or do you need to blow off or rinse off the deck?

Rinsing seems like a waste of another day in drying time, but wondering if the blower would get it all off. Or is there usually not enough left over to make a difference?

I allways try to predict the fuzz, mostly happens on very weathered cedar, or the tough strip jobs, place an optional price for a full sand aside, I go 30 -40 cents/ft. Some will, others wont, price shoppers might tell you you get the job if you throw it in.