Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

mixing chems

Question

I have been mixing my chems in a 5 gal bucket by filling it about 1/2 putting a lid on then shaking it and topping it off with more water and shake some more. I use the bucket then with a deskster sprayer. The problem is the lids are not a great seal and I end up with stripper or per carb leaking out pretty badly when I shake it. I was just wondering what you guys do.

9 answers to this question

stir, remove a wood roller stick and use that, if I already have the tip in i need (so I don't have to touch it) I'll use my wand if feeling lazy. Yeah, what you're describing would pretty much be a nightmare i'd imagine.

Wow.

Drill mixer here too but I don't do that kind of work. Virtually anything you need to mix can be done by going to your local Lowes or Home Depot. You'll find various cement mixer "wands" (don't know the real name) that you attach to your drill. Stick the bottom end of the mixer (not the drill) into the 5 gallon bucket. Make sure your mix is in there though. Slowly pull the trigger on your drill so the tool doesn't take off and pull all kinds of air into your mix. Make sure to unplug your drill or if it is a cordless recharge it when you're done. It may also be a good idea to bring a tarp and lay it down so you have a mixing station for your tools and you don't get things dirty that shouldn't be.

Good common sense.

drill mixer, sometimes I'll use the mixer with old fashioned arm power.... the stripper and the oxalic mixes pretty easy.....percarb and cold water is a little tougher, so the drill for sure

It's hilarious how, almost everyday, you can find a better way to do stuff. You think you have it all figured out and WHAM something better pops up. I've been mixing chems with a long wooden paint stir all this time with a cordless in the truck the whole time. I feel like a real tard, thank god for this site or I might be pressure washing decks with a garen hose and a scrub brush lol!

Mixing tip: a mixer (whether wooden stick or fancy drill "beater") works much better if you incline it in the bucket, say around 30 degrees off vertical, rather than straight down in the bucket. You will mix faster and more thoroughly like this and avoid having to continue changing your "angle of attack" or reversing direction.

Mixing tip: a mixer (whether wooden stick or fancy drill "beater") works much better if you incline it in the bucket, say around 30 degrees off vertical, rather than straight down in the bucket. You will mix faster and more thoroughly like this and avoid having to continue changing your "angle of attack" or reversing direction.

I second that. It turns over from top to bottom much better. Straight in seems to create a mixed middle with a stagnant outside. It's especially true if your mixer blades dont have a pitch to create upflow.