Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Big Lift needed

Question

Has anyone used a 110 ft articulating boom ? I have never gone this route. Any heads up on a good rental price? I have used 40 footers plenty of times but this thing is HUGE. I cannot get a standard lift onto this property due to steps so i have to do it from the street. If anyone has alternate ideas, I'd appreciate input.

15 answers to this question

What are you trying to get to on the house?? This sounds like something we'd need to see a pic of in order to give you ideas. For now, that seems extreme to me for anything residental. If I see a pic I think I can give you an easier idea,

I can't get any pics out as my camera was lifted from my truck a couple of weeks ago (or I would have been posting more pics of some cool decks)

Here is the situation. The house is a very old 3 story with attic gables that run approx 35-40 ft up. There is a possibility for scaffolding, but there is very uneven ground in the back and it's all earth. This is in the city of Philadelphia, near University City. Very old architechture and not a ton of land aroud each property. Any way, the back of the property is above grade from street level and has six steps leading up to it. The front of the property has no area to pull in a smaller lift so a lift woul be situated 30-40 ft from the property, then extend 25 more lateral feet into the property and then extend 35 ft high.

Everything is being applied via chem pumps with all areas manually agitated by brush. There is no way it can be done from the ground regardless of extension size. We are also prepping and painting all the window sashes and cleaning a barrel tile roof. Cha Ching.

If you have a decent painter working for you, I cannot imagine they cannot figure out a good way to do this with a ladder. There is one painting guy I use on a lot of jobs that does stuff with ladders that makes my stomach turn (i don't do heights), all very safe. If the ground is uneven, use ladder wedges, and this would also help if it is soft. Dont forget, you can rent 60' ladders readily.

Id say get a new camera and post some pics, why wouldn't you have a camera for this project. Quote (Jon, this is a brick restoration that is going to be photographed for an architectural digest. We are applying hydrochloric acid to the masonry so ladders are out.) how big is the driveway? how old is the driveway? So you can take heavy equipment on it? or will it crack? will you be driving on the lawn? dont get stuck. Id like to see. I love problem solving maybe Ill come up to give a hand pulling hoses or somthing. Good luck Ken

Thanks, Crown. The photos are being taken by a professional photographer (from the magazine) organized by the builder. The house is undergoing a hundred thousand dollar interior resto. There is no driveway, the house sits on a major street.

I'm running around today getting ready to leave for the eastern Virgins for a week. When I get back I am going to get a new camera and post more pics. I am waiting for a callback from Bob Port this morning.

This is the original post I started about this project.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4119

Maybe strap on some rock climbing gear and rappel down from the roof. Someone on this board does this alot, but I can't remember who.

I know what Jon is talking about with painters and ladders. I seen crazy folks hanging off 40 ft ladders scraping lead paint with no protection.

Just got off the phone with Bob Port at Restoration Direct. Wow! It's refreshing to see a guy that has been in business so long still offer way above and beyond customer service.

What the hell would I do without you guys? Roger, your check is in the mail. Bob says thank you for the lead.

Some other ideas maybe you have not considered. Electric companies and sign companies have crane trucks with buckets and tall bucket trucks that might make a deal with you for a daily rate. A lot of times their trucks are just sitting until the big jobs come up and also the sign companies that install signs and billboards have lifts that sit quite a bit until needed. I have made deals before but the jobs fell through so I know it is possible. I opened an account with a rental company and the rates fell by more than half for lift rentals. Just make sure that you have a harness with lanyard for fall protection. I have been up in 80' and 100' manlifts before and it is not that bad, only when it gets windy or when you decide to look down but you will not be up that high, just boomed out. Hope this helps.

In our area, articulated all terrain lifts that size go for around $390.00 a day and a little higher for bucket trucks, to answer one of your original questions. I had a project that required some of the same specs you mentioned. Had to scale across the lawn around 45' to get 35' to the top of building. I have not had too many jobs like this but if you go this route, be sure to give yourself plenty of lead on you pw hose and secure it to the lift in case the tossleing causes you to drop the wand. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

Adrian

PP,

I used to rent/sell this very type of stuff..

The rate will vary depending on your locale, unions (ugggh), and time of year.

You are now in peak season, so expect premium rates.

Daily/weekly/monthly rate will probably be somewhere around 600/1800/5400

Freight in and out will probably be somewhere in the $150 each way range, depending on how far away they are coming from

They may flat rate the fuel for you at somewhere around $75.00 ...or they'll send it to you full, and you're responsible for refueling. Be sure you don't send it back with low fuel or you pay rental store fuel rates..:eek:

Insurance/damage waiver usually about 12% to 15% of the rental rate.

Sales tax?? I got no idea for your area.

(Note to self...)

If I rented you a boom and found out you were spraying acid, I might get miffed...

This monster is WICKED HEAVY!!! in the 50,000 pound range... You NEED to be very sure of what you are parking it on.

This machine will NOT operate on more than a 5 degree slope.. You will need to make sure that where you park it is very level.

I'd suggest an approved aerial lift training course for using a boom of this caliber.. not usually necessary for the small time stuff, but this is a Big Boy Toy. They usually run about a hundred bucks and are available from the rental center...

Hope this helps...

Cujo