Sign in to follow this  
h2owizards

? 4 Shurflo Users

Question

Hey guys/gals,

It's been awhile since I last came in here. I see most of y'all are using a pump setup now. I was wondering if y'all are still xjetting the rest of the house or are y'all using your pump to apply your housewash too?

If I'm not mistaken, the guy who started this whole pump thing, said he had his chem line tywrapped to his washer hose and would switch back to xjet.....or something along those lines. Made it sound like he was using xjet with pump but that can't be right...can it? Can someone please clarify and explain your own setup.

BTW, my PC is down and I am having to use a webtv...PITA! I sometimes can't see the last couple of posts at the end of a page so if I miss a reply or question, I might not answer it. Not being rude just didn't see it. Thanks

80 answers to this question

James and Mike,

The conversation about the house roof and how many gallons of chlorine it would take....What is the most common dilution you use? 70% chlorine and 30% water for a roof like you were talking about? I know it takes time and experience but I am new to the roof cleaning and would like to find the best way to get the dilution needed for a roof. I was thinking of getting some spray bottles and making up different dilutions at the site and trying each and the one that works..use that ratio or the next stronger chlorine amount to do the job. What do you think? What would be a better way? I know in time I will be able to eyeball it and get close but we all start somewhere. Thanks.

I've gone as weak as 30% chlorine/70% water on lightly stained shingles to as strong as 70% chlorine/30% water on tile. Generally I mix it at 1:1 and adjust accordingly, as needed. I keep a couple of 5's of straight 12% around on the trailer too for whatever other situations that might arise.

I've gone as weak as 30% chlorine/70% water on lightly stained shingles to as strong as 70% chlorine/30% water on tile. Generally I mix it at 1:1 and adjust accordingly, as needed. I keep a couple of 5's of straight 12% around on the trailer too for whatever other situations that might arise.

That's about what I use also. 50/50 is typical for shingles. I've tried stronger but found that I usually use the same amount of solution, but get the same results...meaning I'm using more chlorine but not saving any time. The few tile jobs I've done I've mixed very strong, 70 or 80% chlorine, and that seemed to work well.

James the roofs I do around here need at least 80% chlorine and 15 % water and the rest is a magical mystery.I am kidding I use a surfactant that helps it stick.I use 200-300 gls per week when im busy.I try to ballpark my chlorine usage but if there is someone out here that can get it down to exact amounts I would love to meet him cause I can't and I have been doing it along time.I keep my tank covered and out of the sun when parked that helps it keep longer.I use a 225 gl chemical tank.There is nothing that pisses me off more than to run out of chlorine and have to roll up and get more so I always overestimate.I get chlorine at .90 a gl so if I go over I know I'll use it elsewhere. thats my .02 worth if anyone cares.lol

My names not mike but it looks in the 2500- 3000 sq ft range.I would charg around 300 to do and I would be done in 1-1/2 hr.I have a gas powered diaphragm pump it puts out 5gpm at 250 psi. that includes rinsing and roll up.

Mel,

What kind of hose and and wand set-up do you use with that pump? Also, where'd you get it? I'm also assuming that with a stream like that you don't need to actually get on the roof to rinse?

Also, do you hook up to the water hose or use a tank?

Sorry for all the questions it's just that rinsing is my biggest time consumer. I did a test with several water hoses in different areas of south east texas and got an average of 3gpm.

James I rinse with my 9.0 gpm machine and it runs off a 325 gl tank.I also rinse my plants with that machine it makes things go a lot faster.I used to do the shurflo thing but it takes to damn long and time is money.I have a John Blue diaphragm pump it runs off a 5,5 hp honda motor.I use 1/2 chemical hose.James I don't mind the questions I will help anyone I can.

I make my own wand if you look at the thread about a schedule 80 supplier then you can find a picture of it.I have been making my own wand for about 5 yrs.You are right I don't have to get on roofs to clean or rinse them.I love being on shingle roofs but not tile.Also I can shoot chemical 50 to 60 ft with my system.

Well not really and if necessary I cover the plants and rinse with 9.0 gpm.I also inform my customers of the potential leaf damage and inform them that it will grow back in about 3-4 weeks.

In my area I've yet to clean a roof that didn't require 80% chlorine (10.5%). Though, I don't mix it any stronger than that I usually have to do several coats.

How are you applying it? The only time I have to apply more than one coat (other than a few areas, typically) is if I was using it a bit weaker, around a 30/70 mix of 10.5% and water. 80% just seems a bit strong for shingles, especially if you're having to re-apply. Using a 50/50 mix and a relatively small tip in the shurflo, I can do an entire roof with almost no runoff at all, and not have to reapply. Sometimes there are a few spots that just won't come clean with one application, but that's at most 5% of the roof surface, usually much less than that.

Mike, you don't have to be a jerk about it. I unless I have my week booked I buy chems before each job. I'm sure most people here can relate to this, but it's rained nonstop since Denis. We now have Emily here and a few tropical storms wanting to join in.

Wasn't trying to be a jerk, just curious about two things...how you can estimate your chlorine usage so accurately, since roof size is only one factor. As many roofs as I have cleaned, there's no way I'm going to be able to estimate within a gallon how much chlorine I'm going to use. Second, I don't see how overestimating your chlorine needs is going to cost you anything. So you have a few gallons left over...keep them and use them on the next job.

I can certainly understand the rain messing things up...we've finally had a relatively dry week, the last two have been crazy with thunderstorms popping up out of nowhere in the middle of the day. Last year after the two storms that blew through here, things slowed way down for a few weeks.

I'm sorry but I just like to know my true profit margin and I don't like having left over chemicals sitting in my tank and I especially don't like buying to little.

So you track what you use...having left over chems in your tank doesn't keep you from knowing how much you used. I'm working to get away from the system you are using, keeping a limited supply of chlorine on hand. Right now, I keep 21 2.5 gallon jugs on the truck, because the chlorine store here will not fill tanks. Thus, I have to go fill up between roof jobs, since 50 gallons or so of chlorine isn't enough to do two roofs if I'm also doing the house and driveway. It's a pain having to take the time to go fill up sometimes twice/day. An absolute waste of my time.

I've finally found another store that will fill tanks, so I'm getting ready to set up my 225 gallon tank in the trailer for chlorine so I don't have to fill up as often. I currently use the tank as a float tank, which is a waste of space for the type of jobs I typically do. I'll install a 50 gallon float tank for that. I'd much rather hit the chlorine store every couple days and buy 125 gallons of chlorine.

If the things you do work for you, great. I just don't get the logic behind some of them, so I ask questions.

I'm not trying to be a sarcastic jerk, Mike, but I'd truley like to know what you'd estimate for this house.

Don't worry about the garage to the left, estimate just the main part of the house. The house is in the exact shape of a rectangle. Only the front has gutters and there are no valleys in the back or sides.

P.S. I don't know if this will affect your price but in that garage is a 50th aniversary vette, several motorcycles, a silverado and an ugly Scion (the whole garage wouldn't fit in the pic).

I would price that one (without the garage) at about 225.00 - 250.00

I'm not trying to be a sarcastic jerk, Mike, but I'd truley like to know what you'd estimate for this house.

What do my prices have to do with anything?

For just the roof of the house, I'd charge $250.00 (yes, I changed the price) (providing the back wasn't any worse than the front). It'd take me about 2 hours (including blowing the pine straw off and cleaning out the gutters in the front), and shouldn't take more than 15-20 gallons of chlorine. That's an easy one. 20 minutes to stretch out the hoses and mix the chlorine, 20 minutes to blow the roof and gutters out, 30 minutes to coat the roof, 30 minutes to rinse, and 20 minutes to flush the shurflow and roll the hoses.

How are you applying it? The only time I have to apply more than one coat (other than a few areas, typically) is if I was using it a bit weaker, around a 30/70 mix of 10.5% and water. 80% just seems a bit strong for shingles, especially if you're having to re-apply. Using a 50/50 mix and a relatively small tip in the shurflo, I can do an entire roof with almost no runoff at all, and not have to reapply. Sometimes there are a few spots that just won't come clean with one application, but that's at most 5% of the roof surface, usually much less than that.

When I re-apply it's usually a few spots that I know will have trouble rinsing. However, I recently did a house that took 3 entire coats at 80%! My application process is no different than yours or anyone elses (except people that x-jet). The difference is the mold.

When I re-apply it's usually a few spots that I know will have trouble rinsing. However, I recently did a house that took 3 entire coats at 80%! My application process is no different than yours or anyone elses (except people that x-jet). The difference is the mold.

Must be. If the picture you posted is any indication of the type of roofs you're running into, I'm at a loss. I could clean that roof with 50% and have little to no recoating needed.

I could clean that roof with 50% and have little to no recoating needed.

In Florida, yes you could. Trust me, it's different here and believe it or not that house isn't that bad compared to most here (notice the mold hasn't even reach the peak).

James

Have you checked out your supplier?Who is it if it's not secret?If they are not a fast mover of SH,maybe you have older stuff they're not turning over very fast.If not sure it may be worth the Price to have a lab run the concentration on a titrator for you.I don't think we do bleach analysis in our lab anymore or I'd do it for you.

We've received it from suppliers and the drums looked like they've been to Thailand and back on the deck of a ship.The labels wet and dried out and just rough looking drums.

Bleach degrades fast in heat and UV exposure.It's actually months not days as many think(if kept out of elements).Heat it up with sunlight, provide a vent to atmosphere, and it loses it's potency quick.

That may be your problem.$3.00 a gallon is high unless you're only buying 25 gallons at a time.The money you save if only getting 6 or 8% instead of 12.5% will pay for the test in a couple of washes.

Scott

James,

I read you're whole post again and see that you use 10.5% and mix 80/20.That's 8% to the roof (if assay is legit). Mike and Don say they use 50/50 and adjust as needed for special circumstances. That's 5% to the roof.

OK Mel,

I seem to remember reading on one of these boards that you use 9% solution to the roof.It seems like you said you had to touch up less. Am I remembering right or am I thinking of someone else?

If so why the difference in solutions,in your opinion, between different areas?Climate,strain of mold or quality of SH? Why must some use 5% and some use 8-9% to get the same results.

I'm not trying to insult anyone here just want to ask someone who IS using extra chems why??I'm assuming he has considered it before since it affects his bottom line.

Scott

This roof could have really used a stronger concentration. It took 4 applications of 6% straight to remove the black stuff completely.

(white roof pics)

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19799&postcount=2

I used 6% straight on this roof, but 3% may have been sufficient as one application was enough and it worked VERY quickly.

(gray roof pics, pics 2 and 3 are of the same place on the roof, before and after)

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19801&postcount=4

James,

I read you're whole post again and see that you use 10.5% and mix 80/20.That's 8% to the roof (if assay is legit). Mike and Don say they use 50/50 and adjust as needed for special circumstances. That's 5% to the roof.

OK Mel,

I seem to remember reading on one of these boards that you use 9% solution to the roof.It seems like you said you had to touch up less. Am I remembering right or am I thinking of someone else?

If so why the difference in solutions,in your opinion, between different areas?Climate,strain of mold or quality of SH? Why must some use 5% and some use 8-9% to get the same results.

I'm not trying to insult anyone here just want to ask someone who IS using extra chems why??I'm assuming he has considered it before since it affects his bottom line.

I tend to use a stronger concentration because with stronger solution means less run-off .You will kill plants just as easy with 50/50 or 80/20.Thats what I have found.I'm not sure what my percentages are.I usually start out with straight and surfactant and if I run a lil shy I mix some water in it. Higher concentration=Less actual total chemical on the roof.I can spray a lighter coat and it cleans very well.I hope that answers your questions.

In Florida, yes you could. Trust me, it's different here and believe it or not that house isn't that bad compared to most here (notice the mold hasn't even reach the peak).

James I'll be honest I have cleaned roofs that looked like a black bear crawled up there and died.It was actually so bad it looked like it had fur on it.I cleaned with 80-100% pure chlorine and surfactant.I can't imagine Texas mold being worst than Florida mold.

believe it or not that house isn't that bad compared to most here (notice the mold hasn't even reach the peak).

That's what I pointed out a few posts ago...that's an easy one, the mold isn't heavy at all, and isn't visible on the entire roof. Most I clean here are completely covered with heavier algae, with the only clean areas being below the galvanized ridge vents, vent pipes, etc.