Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Forgive me forum, for I have not sinned!!!!

Question

I am a little reluctant to post this but at least I am being up front about it.

Bumped in the Bible Belt

First of all, I hope I am posting this in the right section. The clubhouse section title said that I could "run my mouth" here or tell a joke or whatever. This does have to do with business, however, my business.

This is my 2nd year as a pw business owner, and several times so far I have been forced to pull out the "life raft", so to speak. Anyone who knows me on this forum knows I am sincere and honest and do great work.

Here's the scoop, and I will try to make this a brief story. I go into this vitamin store in the town that I live in and purchase about 75.00 worth of wares from the little old lady that swears by what she is selling. In the background the tv she has on is BLASTING some evangelist trying to do the world a favor. She asks me what line of work I was in and I explained to her my line of business. She replies by having me go do a bid on her property she has for sale. The house and a length of fence in the back yard. I give her a great bid and she does everything but accept and sign my bid form. All the while the tv blasting and me finding myself having to talk a little louder over the tv. It's not hard to guess that she is a very devoted woman to our Father in Heaven. I've got no problem with it though and I hope to see on the other side. Nonetheless I have had an uneasy feeling each time I have followed up.

Well, as I am doing other jobs over the period of about a month and a half, I finally have a chance to follow up for a third time, I get back in touch with her again today on the phone. If you are with me so far then you can probably guess that as she picks up the phone I hear the tv evangelist in the back ground better than I hear her. I reminded her of who I am and she said it was nice to hear from me and that she has decided to let some boys from so and so ministries p.w. her property and that if she hasn't gotten the job done within a month then " I" should call "her" back. Now how can I possibly know whether she has gotten this job done or not?

She just told me that she is going to let some inexperienced boys from her church do the job. How do you think I feel after being so professional to her in my trade,

knowing flat out that she is just dancing around the truth. Ok lying all this time.

Sorry folks, if I seem angry, but I am! She is supposed to be a representation of the church and a holy person (which she openly professes) but yet only emulates hypocracy and favoritism towards some kids that I know cannot do half of the job I can. The fact that her house is for sale prompts me to get the job done asap for her so she can have a quick sale. But to make me go through the obvious hassles of bidding and following up time after time and leading me on to do the job, and finally telling me that she wants a couple of kids to do the work just urks me.

My point : When I need a priest I go to a church, not the bowling alley!

When I need glasses I go to an optomitrist, not a glass blower.

When my auto needs repair I go to an automotive repair shop

not a motorcycle repair shop.

Does anyone get my point? Am I just farting in the wind? I very sorry if no one agrees with some of the things I have said, but I am very insulted and choose not to follow up on this particular bid a fourth time. Not to mention that her vitamins that she swears cured her cancer haven't done a thing for my similar health issues, and am considering giving her back the unused portions.

I put good money out on equipment, insurance, etc. and am very professional at what I do. I just refuse to be insulted with hypocracy and transparant appearances.

I am sure she has her "rightstanding" with the Good Lord, but not with me.

Really trying to make a go of it here in the Bible Belt. I am from another part of the country and very used to people being honest and speaking their mind without bringing up the conditions of my salvation, right or wrong. But after repeatedly telling me I have the job with her and never being able to schedule a start date, to end up telling me that she is giving it to a couple of kids to do the job, well I guess I can only wish her luck that they don't destroy her house.

If anyone can relate to this please feel free to reply.

If anyone thinks I am wrong for voicing this opinion, please feel free to reply( I'm in just the right mood to reply back).

If anyone thinks I am off my rocker for this post, well, you are probably right,

but just don't say it's all good when you don't really mean it.

I usually am a bit more firm in these situations, but this one just got to me.

God Bless everyone (and I really mean that)

Where's the smoking section?

I hope everyone is having a great summer ( and I really mean that too!)

18 answers to this question

You have to ask yourself if she took your information everytime with the intention of hiring someone else or if she was wanting to price around. I've had customers who want to know all the ins and outs of what I do and take up an hour of my time and then finally get to the point of telling me that they are pricing around and will call me if I was the cheapest. Evangelists are a funny group. If Jesus practiced piety, why do televangelits need to wear lots of gold and have fancy cars? Personally, I'd prefer the guy (or girl if she's hot) with Jesus in his heart who speaks from life experiences to me at the coffee shop or airport.

Several good points Ryan, I have to respond by saying that she has my price for the project that I left with her. But my point is simply that she kept leading me on that I would do the job for her each follow up that I did and has only just today said that these boys are doing it for free if they would ever get around to it. So, why can't she just say that up front instead of waisting my time for 3 follow ups?

I am waiting on the go ahead from another bid (similar situation) for some flatwork.

But this lady said right up front that she wants 3 bids. I have no problem with that at all. I followed up on that one yesterday and she said that she is waiting for 1 more bid.

Simple as that. If I get it ... great. If not... well at least she has been up front all along.

This particular lady ( who said it is a fair and affordable bid) has continuously said come back another time to schedule the start date. Then boom, she says she getting the kids from the church to do it free. I just don't get it sometimes.

I would rather someone just come out and say it to me than hold it back and lead me on that way. I am not an important person or anything like that, but I have given this lady alot of my time ( something I will never get back). And that is what bothers me.

Although I know it is part of the game, I just do not operate like that in my self government.

As far as the tv evangelist go, I agree with you. And about the hottie wittnessing to me in the airport, i'm sure I would be distracted from the topic for the very reason that she is hot. lol. Thanks for letting me vent, and like I said, I will not be doing a 4th follow up with her but just move onto the next bid.

It was nice to meet you the other day as well. Thanks for your time.

that situation for me would have been one follow up (which would be when I present her with the proposal) and that's it. I don't play the "Call me in a couple of week to see if I'm ready to have you do it" game. Horse puky! First off, if someone is serious about hiring YOU to do the work, they will call you. Maybe not tommorow or a week from then, but they will. I always let the customer call me when they are ready to schedule, not the other way around. The only exception to that is when I'm under contract or calling on a regular customer for repeat service.

I agree with CCPC here. When I give the estimate, I rarely followup. I have found that it is a waste of my time. Either the person likes the price and you schedule it right then, or they will call you within a reasonable amount of time. Occasionally you will here from some one much later, but those are rare. For instance, I got a call just today from an old lady to whom I gave an estimate back in MARCH!!....I have her scheduled for next week. A person knows pretty much immediately if they are going to hire you or not.....they may be waiting for more estimates (which I understand), or they may have to "save" the money before calling you. Frankly, I don't have time to call people 2 or 3 times to see if they want the job done. There are exceptions, but as a rule of thumb, that's how I operate. Remember, they called you, which means they are already interested in the work. A lot of people like to take the lowest bid, so, as a rule, I ask them "are you looking for a cheap job, or a GOOD job?....there IS a difference", and if they tell me they are looking for more estimates, I let them know up front that I probably WON"T be the cheapest.

Again, this is all assuming residential. Commercial is totally different. Sometimes it takes a LOT of followup to get the account.

Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like she didn't like your estimate and didn't have the stones to say so. I find that most seriously indecisives (as opposed to getting more estimates) and just "no's" who don't have the nerve to say so.

Some people just get sticker shock. The expected $50 and got en estimate $250 and are much to embarrased to say so. They don't want to look cheap or admit they they cannot afford your services. So, they find every excuse in the book not to say no because it may raise the question "Why not". In the end they hope you will just go away and fail to see that a little honesty would save them more discomfort and save you alot of wasted time and aggravation. I know because in a previous life I was one of those people. 15yrs in the business world and that person no longer exists.

One thing these people did teach me is that when I am interested in something but must put a vendor off because of timing, money, etc. I tell them up front that I am interested and that I am not afraid to say no. I also typically give them a date that it would be better to get back in touch with me regarding the matter. Saves alot of BS and unnecessary follow ups.

As for followups, I make three calls. One the day after the quote. One three days later, and a final a week later. On the final call I tell them that this is my final call and that I will not trouble them again. It nets some stragglers who may be lost to more persistent washers. Some customers are just busy/disorganized/whatever and will give their business to the company that makes it easiest for them. I still fall into this category alot.

Sorry folks, if I seem angry, but I am! She is supposed to be a representation of the church and a holy person (which she openly professes) but yet only emulates hypocracy and favoritism towards some kids that I know cannot do half of the job I can.

I don't think this has anything to do with being in the bible belt...People are cheap and don't know any better all over the country. You're assuming that she planned to have these kids do it from the start, which raises the question, why waste your time?

Yes, we Christians are supposed to be a representation of the church, conduct ourselves in a righteous manner, etc...but often we don't. It isn't as if at the point of salvation we become perfect people who always do the right thing. We're still the same fallen, imperfect people. Salvation isn't an instant transformation from fallen sinful people to perfect sinless people, it is a lifelong journey that hopefully includes progress towards that goal.

As far as evangelists (or preachers in general), the flashy gold encrusted fools you see on TV aren't really a good representation of the ministry as a whole. Most are simply trying to fulfill the calling they feel in their life and conduct their lives according to the scriptures, not according to TV ratings. Just as with lowballers and weekend hacks, a few jerks give the whole "industry" a black eye.

live and learn I guess. But I just like it when people are honest up front instead of leading me on. I don't mind following up a time or two because I am not as busy as some of you are and I need to get every job possible. I just feel that she used really poor etiquette in this matter. I do follow some guidelines but she was able to pull the wool over my eyes in this case, by telling me I have the bid but just couldn't land a start date. Didn't want you guys to think I was a dumb or desperate business operator, I just wanted to know when she wanted me to do it. But she found a better deal (free) from the church which obviously, everyone knows the church does a better p.w. job thas an actual pw firm who does it all the time. Like I said live and learn. Alot of very good tips from you guys though, which I greatly appreciate.

Now, I'm off to get my pastorial ordainment papers so I can be a real qualified pressure washing technician. Thanks all for the input and the feedback. I will be holding services this Sunday on top of my trailer, bring your extension wands and a hefty donation.....(love offering) and expect to be cleansed and blessed.

adios and a great weekend to all.

Sometimes what people will say about a quote, and what they decide are just not the same. It may well have been a resonable quote, but what I think here is that the person saw an opportunity to help someone who had a need - to learn - and felt using her job was a way of helping. From what you have described, I think that's all it was. That, and it was not affordable for her to begin with and she didn't know until she got the quote. Then she didn't want to hurt your feelings.

Really, the only person who can decide to get work done is the owner. Hard closes can backfire. Softer closes rarely do. Put your info out there, and let them work at closing themselves.

Beth

Good point Beth and well taken. I am only further educated which I am greatful for.

Plus free is always better, price wise, But that does not mean that it will be a good job.

We all know that if an injury takes place that it could very well fall back on the homeowner. I do not feel that she was afraid to tell me that she could not afford me.Because she initially told that she wanted me to do the job in which I gave a bid form that very day after viewing the jobsite.

I am not a low baller, I just gave her a great rate with consideration that she was a senior, who has a house on the market. When I moved to Ga. from the great lone star state, my house was on the market for 8 months and if I would have thought to have it pressure washed I feel it would have sold sooner than it did. Therefore I genuinly had her interest at heart. After the follow ups I did, the final result is that she could not actually land a start date for me and during that interrim she found some boys at her church that will do it for free. Which is what bothers me. I think all the professionals on this site would agree that, that is a very questionable decision she made to have them do the job for obvious reasons. But like I said live and learn.

I guess my point is that the problem with this issue lies with me in that I feel I was given the run around and should just learn to deal with it as it a part of being in business. Some of you pro's would probably want to slap my face at the rate I gave her, which is less than what her electric bill is , i'm sure.

I honestly am not trying to stir up a hornet's nest with the "keep it in the church family" scenario. But I am just a firm believer that if you need a certain service done,

you choose a firm that specializes in the service. Plus after basically being given the go ahead to do the job I was simply trying to follow up on "when " to perform the service.

At any rate, thanks for the input from you as well as everyone else' and I promise I will be less of a smart a$$ concerning future post'.

I hope you have a GREAT weekend. Looks like more rain on my end again. Geez almost 14 inches this month. Time to get some scuba gear.

adios all.

Therefore I genuinly had her interest at heart. After the follow ups I did, the final result is that she could not actually land a start date for me and during that interrim she found some boys at her church that will do it for free. Which is what bothers me. I think all the professionals on this site would agree that, that is a very questionable decision she made to have them do the job for obvious reasons.

It sounds like you truly tried to do the best you could for her, and would have continued to do so had you gotten the job. Take satisfaction and pride in that, and don't let her decision bother you. She may very well have NOT given you the runaround...she may have fully planned to hire you, until she found someone in her church to help her out. And you really don't know if these "boys" know what they're doing or not. I've done a fair share of free work for folks in my church, and despite the fact that I'm 38, I'm still considered a "boy" by some of the seniors.

Getting a friend or fellow church member to help you out with something they're more experienced in than you is common...I do it, both giving and receiving help. Just because I'm a pressure washer doesn't mean I don't know how to help someone put a roof on, or install a hot water heater, or build a deck, or fix their car. If I know how to do it, I'll help...if not, I'll simply say so and tell them that so and so is great at installing carpet or fixing an air conditioner. If I need help with something, there's usually someone to go to. That doesn't mean it isn't a paying job, but I'd rather give my money to a friend in the church than to a stranger across town.

Who knows, this lady now knows who you are, and that you were considerate enough to give her a great price, and to check back with her more than once. She may hire you for something in the future, or give your name to someone else. You just never know. It just seems you are taking this a bit personally, and I'm sure it wasn't personal...she made a decision (whether good or bad) that was surely motivated by her limited financial options, and that's something we've all done.

It just seems you are taking this a bit personally, and I'm sure it wasn't personal...she made a decision (whether good or bad) that was surely motivated by her limited financial options, and that's something we've all done.

Mike,

you are right, I did take it personal, like I said previously. And since we're all sharing our age, I'm 42 and still have some growing up to do as well. But simply put, the time I invested in landing a start date, i will never be able to get back. Also (like I stated)

I am still learning the ropes of running my own business and realize that this is part of the game. But I certainly can't be faulted for my emotional stance at failing in this case. Again, I have a little growing up to do in this situation. Please don't think I am being combative towards anyone, because the whole scenario was handled professionally on my end. I just wanted the job... that's all. I know there will be plenty more work for me. I just have not run into this situation before. As for her "limited financial options", in this case there truely isn't one, as she is a very successful local business woman in my area, in which this particular house is just a "spare" for her.

Nonetheless, your points are well taken and humbly recieved and appreciated. I truely need the advice of professionals such as yourself and the others that have responded.

It can only better the operations of my firm. So thank you with much respect.

But I will say this and close. She truely has shattered the cliche ..."an offer you can't refuse"

Maybe at some point I will be able to toss a few pointers back atcha.... 'til then, keep'em coming.

Thanks again! Heb 13:2

Adrian

you are right, I did take it personal, like I said previously. And since we're all sharing our age, I'm 42 and still have some growing up to do as well.

Yeah, don't we all! I don't think we stop growing up, or needing to grow up in some areas, until they plant us in the ground.

Please don't think I am being combative towards anyone, because the whole scenario was handled professionally on my end.

I certainly understand your feelings, and have felt the same way a time or two. There will always be the customers who like to talk, make promises, etc, but don't follow through. I just look at it like it isn't my job until I'm actually doing it. Up until I start spraying, the customer has every right to cancel, for whatever reason. Sometimes they find themselves having to spend money they didn't expect on a broken car, etc, or something personal comes up that they have to deal with, or sometimes it is buyer's remorse...they get to thinking of all the things they could do with that $300.00 or whatever. Until services are actually rendered, there's no guarantee. It can be pretty depressing sometimes to have a customer cancel (or in your case, promise but not follow through). Sometimes it one cancellation call can throw my whole day off.

I just wanted the job... that's all. I know there will be plenty more work for me. I just have not run into this situation before. As for her "limited financial options", in this case there truely isn't one, as she is a very successful local business woman in my area, in which this particular house is just a "spare" for her.

I just assumed that since you gave her a discount and mentioned she was a senior that she was living on a limited and fixed income. Sounds like you should have just charged her full price and let her be the one to call to schedule. That's how I handle it most of the time. I either give the customer a proposal in person or leave it at their house, and that's the end of it until they call me to schedule. If it is a particularly lucrative job, I may call them back to make sure they had no questions, etc, but most of the time I just don't have the time. If they call me, the job is usually a pretty sure thing. If I call them and bug them into scheduling, they stand a better chance of having buyer's remorse and cancelling later.

Yea , I pretty much give all the old folks a discount or a freebie add- on.

It just feels right. I'll be there some day myself and would want the same.

I gotta mother too! ha ha.

Take care and have a great weekend

I can understand your being a bit peeved about the little old lady, because it seems lately, that I have run into a few like her. In the last 3 days,I have had numerous calls from different ladies. One of them tells me that she needs just 2 sides of her house cleaned. I go & look at the house, the front definitely needs cleaned, the south side is not bad, the north side is covered in mold & algae. The back looks all right, but I can make an improvement. I call her, give her my honest opinion, give her a price that is really fair, $150 (its a small old house). She bickers w/ me on the phone that she doesn't want the whole house done, I say fine, i'll do 2 sides for $75. I can do this in less than 30 min.

Second lady calls me from a referal. Her house is a M-E-S-S. I look at it, give her a price of $250. I even through in the carport pavement & the front & rear walkways. She tells me that my price seems really high. I told her that I do professional work, & I guaranty 100% satisfaction. Then I get the fixed income speech from her. I was very professional w/ her, explained to her that I am operating a legit biz...... She agrees to having me do the job, but then cancels a week later (I have been very busy, so I had to book her about 2 weeks ahead) That kinda pissed me off. I'll go by her house in the next day or two to see if she had some hack do the job.

Got a call from a lady today who lives in a $500k house on the golf course in a gated n'hood. She tells me that her house is really not that bad. I knew right then that I was in for a doozie w/ this old hag. I get to her house, she comes to the door while talking on the phone. So while she is standing outside the front door, I walk to both sides of the house, have a look & I am astounded at how dirty her house is. I look at the front, it is atrocious. Her gutters have dozens of pine seedlings growing in them. She has the nerve to tell me that she doesn't want to spend alot of money on cleaning the house because she is thinking about selling it. I haven't even seen the rear of the house yet, & I want to leave. I am thinking to myself, you have got to be crazy, lady. Well, we walk around the entire house, I try to turn on the salesman in me & show her things that I can help her with (Lots of cleaning - gutters, siding, windows, cleaning the pool deck area, even selling & installing gutter guards to help her keep her gutters from clogging up in the future.) I tell her that I'll clean the house for $400 (it's a 4200 sq. ft house). The drive & pool deck is another $250. Now she starts to act like I am wanting to rob her blind. She starts telling me how she is retired ...blah blah blah. I am thinking to myself just get the hell out of there. In the garage, she has a brand new corvette, and a new Lexus. I got kinda cocky with her toward the end by telling her that the money I am asking her to spend on her house is probably less than she spends in a year on having her cars kept cleaned. That shut her up......I got the job......$1600 for about 2 days work, starting on next Wednesday.

Got a call from a lady today who lives in a $500k house on the golf course in a gated n'hood. She tells me that her house is really not that bad. I knew right then that I was in for a doozie w/ this old hag.

Keep in mind that homeowners also do internet searches for information about pressure washing, and may very well read this type of stuff...Not all that professional to call a potential customer an old hag.

I tell her that I'll clean the house for $400 (it's a 4200 sq. ft house). The drive & pool deck is another $250. Now she starts to act like I am wanting to rob her blind. She starts telling me how she is retired ...blah blah blah. I am thinking to myself just get the hell out of there. In the garage, she has a brand new corvette, and a new Lexus. I got kinda cocky with her toward the end by telling her that the money I am asking her to spend on her house is probably less than she spends in a year on having her cars kept cleaned. That shut her up......I got the job......$1600 for about 2 days work, starting on next Wednesday.

Sounds like the "old hag" turned out to be a pretty good customer. Let's hope she's not one of those who goes looking for information on pressure washing on the internet.

A lot of folks look at this industry as one that doesn't take much education or knowledge...I mean, how hard can it be to spray water? Rather than getting pissed at them for their assumptions, we should work to educate them on the amount of knowledge and equipment it takes to do the job correctly without damaging their property. Sounds like you were able to do that with this lady.

Shame on AC for SINNING, you must go back to this lady and repent.

I have only done a couple homes as I was geared towards industrial/commercial business.

How I did things:

Go see what they want, measure if need be.

Write bid at home and fax/mail to them.

Follow up one week, then second week if nothing happened first time.

Follow up month later.

END of follow ups.

If they wanted me by that time they would have called, many did call month later as large corporates take time to get ok from parent company.

KFC too close to 9 month from bid to contract.

Other major accounts had authority to pay each vendor and were faster in awarding contracts.

If I were doing home owners I would make my bid with a line at bottom saying bid good for 30,45 or 60 only. That covers your prices so if they are shopping and you get called back in a few month you can adjust prices.

Remember once you lower a bid price you not only lowered yourself but the whole industry standard. I had a policy of NEVER LOWERING BID PRICE.

I always follow up on our estimates. We usually call the owner the next day to make sure they recieved the estimate (some companies steal them and put theirs in instead) and to see if they have any questions about the estimate. We answer their questions and explain our procedures, then tell them to give us a call if they have any other questions or want the work done. That' it, then we just wait for them to call and book the job.