Sign in to follow this  
Russ Johnson

Oxalic Acid

Hi, all. I have tried to help as many as possible on here with equipment questions. Now it's my turn for a little assistance. I have begun selling Oxalic Acid and am packaging it in 5 lb. tubs. I'm trying to create a label for the product. I need useage instructions. How much powder per gallon? Dwell time? Precautions? I have the hazards from the MSDS, but I need practical, in the field experiences to make sure it's used properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will also be selling 55 lb bags, which, when I'm up to speed on this, I will post in the correct forum. Thanks.

At that ratio, it would be applied directly.

Russ, you should look at carrying citric acid as well. In most cases it works just as well as oxalic, but carries MUCH less hazards.

I use alot of oxalic for irrigation rust stains on homes, buildings,concrete. A couple different mixes. I buy it in 55lb bags

Useing it straight out of pump up sprayer or bucket & brushing. I mix 2lbs Ox to a 5 gallon container, mix with warm water. If Im xjetting it I use 4lbs to a 5 gallon

A couple times I've used it 4lbs straight, but I wouldnt put that on a label for sale

Ken,

Citrallic is not necessarily safer. It is a blend of citric and oxalic, and I don't remember ever reading that even a small amount of oxalic contact was ok.

Tony,

I know what you mean about acid exposure.. I misread your "much less hazards" to mean the amount of damage to the wood. Thanks for catching that. I do understand the chemical constituency of Citrallicâ„¢ is not pure citric acid.

Russ,

8 oz per gallon if it doesnt have a bunch of filler in it......wear PPE including resp, gloves and face shield, sell it in 20-25 pound buckets with a measuring scoop in it, give it a sexy little fancy schmancy name and let it rock !!!

how about a contest to see who can come up with the best name for you, and the winner gets a free tub?

plus a free tub for the guy who just came up with this contest idea.. :)

You're right Ken, I should have specified "health hazards" as being the issue.

The insidious thing about oxalic, is it typically has no scent, and in light mist form, often doesn't burn exposed skin. So you often don't realize you've had contact with it.

I don't mean to be on a soap box here, but I'm fairly certain many don't understand the health risks with oxalic acid. I'm not saying don't use it, but rather, understand it, and take appropriate precautions when handling it.

Check out this link. Good info, but it does fail to mention that exposure to oxalic acid has been shown to damage a mans' little swimmers, and cause birth defects.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/o6044.htm

Tony, you dont need to smell it, one breath of a mist and the involutary coughing kicks in... :) ...but it doesnt burn like the SH does---ouch, typing with a 3 inch burn on my right hand from sundays nightmare.....

PressurePro--

Ouch! I hope the guy at least had the decency to wear protection!!LOL I'm thinking I pay $25 for a 50# bag, and maybe $35 for citric.

I get those kind of chems from Harcros Chemical usually, they'll sell over-the-counter, but have a minimum or either $100 or $300 (dont remember). They have plants in most major cities, haven't found anywhere that beats their prices,

Im lucky, I have a company down the road JBS Industries and he gets me 55lb bags for $42.00, I also buy a citrus cleaner of him in 55 gallon drum and they deliver free to my house on Fridays.

Theres also a JBS in ohio, I think. They dont carry OX but he gets it for me.

Last year I used over 300lbs, this year less