Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stone

Sometimes a vacation is just not worth it...

Question

My wife and I bought a new travel trailer. We bought it to use to dump money in the deprived California economy, what with all the book sellers and such. ;) So this is how my three day getaway went.

Arrive at campsite about 3 hours away. I puill into a parking lot to get some lunch for the teenage boys we were taking to a church camp. While I was in the restaurant, two cars parked on either side of me so close I could not get out. After 10 minutes, someone came out and moved one of the trucks so I could leave.

Drop the boys off, and could not find a campsite to my wifes satisfaction, or mine, for that matter. Finally got to one, and parked the trailer. I get out and start unhooking it, and my cell phone rings. It is 2 pm and the guy that is supposed to start at 5 just quit. It would not have been so bad, but we had been carrying him for months because we knew he was desperate for money, and nearly suicidal (NO JOKE) because he could not provide for his family. I got 3 hours notice, and was 3 hours away. A couple of quick phone calls and got that problem taken care of.

As I was walking around the trailer, one of the tires was flat, but not shredded. So I need to get the trailer tire changed. To remove the tire, I needed tools. So off to Home Depot I go to get some minimal tools, and then to Checker. I get teh tire off, and drive through the center of Flagstaff, Az for 8 miles, or basically from one side of the town to the other, along the old route 66 to find a tire shop. Cost me $12 for a patch.

While I am getting the tire repaired, I get a phone call. Seems one of the knuckleheads that works for me doesn't understand that a wheel needs to be put on tight to work properly, after a flat. (this is the one that wants to be a mechanic) :rolleyes: Wheel and brake drum is totally ruined. So I have to tell them to take another trailer.

About this time, I am getting a cll from one of my customers. He needs an emergency meeting with me today, (MOnday) if possible. Sizable account, but I get him to put it off until Wednesday afternoon.

Finally about 7 pm, my phone stops ringing for the night. Tuesday morning, I get a call about the previous night and what should they do for today. I take some time and get it sorted out so that all of the bases are covered. Then I get another call saying one of the trucks is overheating, and do I wan tteh guy that thinks that he is a mechanic to fix it??? (NO!!! park it) The phone was quiet until 11:30 at night. Mind you I am "camping" and long since asleep.

"Scott, The pressure washer heater isn't working right. It is really loud and blowing black smoke." It is a fleet job that should have been done 2 hours previously, so I am thinking, what is going on? Anyway, I ask them how close they are to finished, and they say that they have one truck left. Duh, wash it cold.

Wednesday was uneventful, unti lI got home. Then it was running all over to try and fix teh thigns that were broke and should not have been and was 10 minutes late for my Wednesday afternoon meeting.

Ahh, I love being self employed.

Scott Stone

13 answers to this question

Next time leave the cell phone at home - everything works out ok anyway.

Richard

I almost agree. I've had nightmares like that too. Im a tiny PW company now but I used to have 30 employees in a landscape business years ago. I realized the best way to solve things (like my own vacations) was to put someone in charge as an Operations Manager.

I pumped up my best guy before going on vacation. Called him a VP for the week! Made him believe it (and he WAS for the week). I believed it! Basically told him how I ONLY trusted HIM to make the RIGHT decisions and how I didn't want to be bothered unless someone was hurt or something outrageous happened that he absolutely couldn't handle. I even gave examples of what I would do (flat tires, dying plants, broken pipes, people showing up late, people calling in sick, etc).

I told him how I ALWAYS trusted his good judgement. He took this to heart and was the best employee EVER. He wasn't good with stress, but for a week he could handle just about anything that was thrown his way. I did however, ALWAYS have to hear how difficult things were while I was gone. I'd get the 2 hour story when I returned, but I knew he handled it and that was all that mattered. I'd pump him up big time after I returned and tell him how I would have done the same things he did. I think anyone, even a $6/hr employee can be shown how important they are in your company (and in life).

Another quick story: I had another kid who was 18 at the time. He had many personal problems in life. Highschool dropout, his hair was a long with a couple tattoos and you could just tell he was miserable in his state in life. Didn't smile much at first and very shy. I needed someone SO bad that I had to hire him where ordinarily, I wouldn't have taken the risk.

After many long rides in the truck (you know how that is) and many questions, he told me he used to be a heroin addict and I got the FULL story about his AWFUL childhood. Mom left, lived w/ grandma, never met dad, (fill in tear jerking story here) etc.

Anyway, I gave him quite a bit of responsibility and he responded with the utmost superior work. He was responsible as HELL. I could ALWAYS count on him. He ended up leaving for another job where he could go back to school. I told him to stay in touch and stop by once in a while but he never did... :(

Moral to the story - deligate some responsibility by encouragement, support, belief and kindness. I think people honestly want a LOT of responsibility in life but ONLY if they really feel like someone (anyone) believes in them.

What's the point to being responsible and making good decisions if knowone really cares about you and believes in you? You mine as well be a Fup...

$.02

Great story, David..nice reading. I share your philosophy completely. In my early days as a corporate wannabe bigshot, I had a hard time delegating duties as my overly inflated ego would not let me believe anyone could do the job as well as I could. Talk about stress, I did the job four people were hired to do and in retrospect I didn't even complete the jobs as well because of having too much on my plate. A very cool marketing VP took me into his office one day and told me something that has never failed me. He said, "If you believe someone can complete a task 80% as well as you could do it yourself, you should delegate that task" I followed his advice and became very proficient.

I don't want to be out kneeling over decks with sweat dripping off of my nose too much longer. My future business plans positively include crew leaders and a business manager. I still tend to micromanage, but that's just the way I am.

David,

Just enjoy your vacation - your whole freakin' outfit will probably be destroyed by the next hurricane anyway.

Isn't that the truth! lol

If you're interested. I live 59 miles west/NW of the furthest west end point of the bahamas (grand bahama). I'm 5 minutes from the beach in North Palm Beach. You can see it on the weather channel. There's already a tropical storm coming this way which may turn into another cane. I had no work and no cell phone twice last year for 3 weeks each. My power was out 9days and then 11days. It was about 100 degrees. Knowone had fuel except me and my friends since we filled up all the boats we could find before the storm. Put up plywood on 4 homes for free (not fun). I cooked spaghetti and coffee on the grill last year and had plenty of beer. It was kindof fun except for the heat and we couldn't find any meat. I also have a friend who bought a monster generator and icemaker. He'll have full power! ;)

Great story, David..nice reading. I share your philosophy completely. In my early days as a corporate wannabe bigshot, I had a hard time delegating duties as my overly inflated ego would not let me believe anyone could do the job as well as I could. Talk about stress,

I still fight that myself sometimes... One thing in landscaping (now a PW) that I found hard was getting past the second crew. My crew and having another crew is not too bad but when you put that third one on it really changes things (for me anyway). It's a whole new ballgame and you have to delegate to the foremen because otherwise you won't have any time to grow the business, you'll be running around cleaning up messes instead of getting new business and selling. I micromanaged the hell out of the first additonal crew I hired which couldnt be done when I put on that third crew...

In 2 years (20 months) I had 6 maintenance crews (3 people each) and 2 large installation crews of about 5 or 6 people each. We had 8 trucks fully equiped, 1 $80K hydroseeder (not paid for), 2 Bobcats (1 paid off one not) and a dump truck (not paid for) plus my truck (not paid for). Our sales for that second year were 879K (lot of big installations). I spent NO money on advertising and basically used word of mouth and stopped into EVERY new construction trailer I could find.

We hired a manager after the 5th maintenance crew was filled up and the plan was to have a manager for every 5 crews since that seemed to be the magic number when I needed help - and two BIG landscape companies operated that same way. Im telling you this because it worked well for me and maybe you can kindof implement that sort of growth goal.

I also had one foreman who was the designated trainer of new employees. When we hired someone, they went with his crew to learn first. That took a LOT of stress off me.

The money will be different of course - PW is MUCH more profitable than landscaping. The daily goal (for maintenance) was about $1000-$1200 in billing per 3 man crew per day. Which could be similar to PW if youre not doing it all yourself and you had a 2 man crew. The equipment costs of a pressure washing crew vs. a landscape crew is surprisingly similar. I spent about 10-15K just in equipment per three man crew. I sold the company for personal reasons about 5 yrs ago...

I'm still figuring out this pressure washing thing myself. Now it's just me and 1 partner.

Hope this helps you in some way, shape or form! :)

David,

So did you grow to that size in only 20 months?? How legit were you?? (illegals, taxes, WC, etc.) I'm curious, what did you pay a guy that was a leader of a crew?? Was he empowered to make any decision related to the job?? Was he salaried, have bennies, etc??

I think anyone, even a $6/hr employee can be shown how important they are in your company (and in life).

Moral to the story - deligate some responsibility by encouragement, support, belief and kindness. I think people honestly want a LOT of responsibility in life but ONLY if they really feel like someone (anyone) believes in them.

I had a similar situation here last month. We scheduled a 3 week trip on the west coast, so I basically left things in the hands of the guy I have working for me. I had him answering calls and giving estimates while I was gone, since the majority of the time we were gone we were in the mountains and away from cell signals, making it almost impossible to return business calls. Everything was fine, he handled all the work I left him scheduled with and got some more work scheduled for when I got back. Everything was great...or so I thought. He wanted the week off after I got back, which was ok.

The week after I got back, I started getting calls from people claiming to have jobs scheduled that week, but no one showed up. These were customers who had called me either from a mailer, or from the phone book. Turns out, he scheduled several jobs the week he was "off" and figured he'd just pocket the money and I'd not be the wiser. Problem is, he had equipment and vehicle problems early that week and never showed to the jobs. Needless to say he isn't working for me anymore.

David,

So did you grow to that size in only 20 months?? How legit were you?? (illegals, taxes, WC, etc.) I'm curious, what did you pay a guy that was a leader of a crew?? Was he empowered to make any decision related to the job?? Was he salaried, have bennies, etc??

So did you grow to that size in only 20 months??

Yes, but I got lucky somewhat because immediately when I started, I hired an installation foreman (30K/Yr) who had a degree in horticulture so that I could bid on a $200K job in the first month I had the company (apartment complex). I landed it (unbelievable day)... Final billing for the job with all the extras was about $280K. Took us 4 months and I didn't make much but I had to have that job initially so I could use that as testiment to our work. No joke - I bid it so close, even with all the extras I only made about $20K. I would work for 2 weeks straight without a day off. In the summer! Really sucked but It got me at least 5 other installations which were real profitable. I also landed a lot of maintenance for the same company and surrounding businesses. We offered a yr warranty on the plants as long as they signed a yr maintenance contract (went for all new installations). I had to take out a $40k line of credit with my dad cosigning just to do the job.

Then landed installations for a restaurant chain - each install was about $26-$30K (one was $90K). Rather not say the name(s) but I did a LOT of them. We did such a good job on the first one, they insisted on us doing ALL of them. We did one that was 100 miles away (PITA). They took about 2 weeks to complete and I had 2 crews going full steam (between 3-6 people per crew depending on the needs of the particular job). When we only had one install for the week, we could knock it out in like 4-5 days (grade, irrigate, trees, sod, plants, mulch, clean, everything). I'd land installs and maintenance within a mile or so of a job site we were working on all the time. At one point, I had one designated crew maintaining every business within a half mile of a busy intersection in ALL directions. Took them all week. It was cool because I'd drive through there and think to myself "I own ALLLLLL this" lol

Some landscape architects wont allow you to even bid unless you have a horticulturist on staff. I made a good show though on that first complex - bought a used IsuzuNPR boxtruck and got it freshly painted with $1000 worth of graphics. Got my brother to weld up an awesome drop down ramp. Everyone had 4 color printed tshirts (only could afford to print 20 lol). I made sure the mexicans showed up on site (shirts tucked with pruners on belts) while I was walking it with the owners and architect. I also had someone else drop by at the same time pulling a bobcat - so it would seem like i had my $hit together. The funny thing was that I didn't even have enough work at that time to keep the mexicans busy for the week.

Previously, I was an operations manager for another landscape company and the owner gave me a $1000 bonus at the end of the year and as per our 'oral' agreement, he was supposed to give me $12K. I basically ran the company and he got the checks and when he screwed me, I worked for him for 2 months while i was really working on my own company (finding a truck, painting it, graphics, equipment, etc.) and collecting $60K/yr from him. Got maintenance accounts immediately (some from the a$$hole - the profitable ones). I left and took the two best mexicans with me. Had work for about 3 days a week with me and the 2 working for me. At the same time I was bidding on commercial installation jobs like crazy. The mexicans were cool about it though - they worked full time at a restaurant at night so I could call them whenever (and even put off their pay if i had to for a week or so which i hated).

How legit were you?? (illegals, taxes, WC, etc.)

They had social security cards and ID - did I need to ask for more? lol - I did everything legal since I was dealing with mostly commercial accounts. I had to... I had to get a $2M insurance policy and workers comp just to bid on that first apartment complex. That hurt the wallet. I was tapping into my dad at that point...

I'm curious, what did you pay a guy that was a leader of a crew?? have bennies,etc??

The maintenance foremen got paid between $10-$12 per hour (later one made $15) which was really good at the time. The 2 mexicans I took with me started at the same rate they were making at the other place $8.50 and I brought them up to $10.50 (they were laborers not foremen). Sometimes to get away from overtime (expecially in the beginning) I would pay them cash for weekend work, etc. Laborers started out at $7.50 while most companies paid only $6.50. No other benefits except a bonus at christmas (about $200 cash) and a turkey. A lot of these guys were making more than me for a long time. Sometimes i would have to go pick up some mexicans at a gas station to help with a job for a day if there was too much work. I'm just SURE they were legal [insert joke here]. I did buy lunch for the crew I was with quite often but not everyday. They loved that of course - not fast food either - a proper lunch in a restaurant.

Was he empowered to make any decision related to the job?? [foremen]

No - maintenance foremen were only to do a great job and guide the laborers and keep them busy. He had to work himself of course. If the customer wanted something special, it was his decision as to whether or not he should call me and ask, or just do it. Foremen usually chose to edge and spray roundup while laborers mowed and weedeated. They all would blow afterwards. We were VERY meticulous. I contracted out all the spraying/fertilizer to an awesome company for a really good price. They helped me from the beginning. I didn't like messing with all those chems and It's kindof an art. If you don't do it all the time, you'll screw it up for sure. Our properties looked like golf courses and our annuals were as good as the best/largest company out there.

Hope you can gather some helpful info somewhere from that book i just wrote.

David,

I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to write all of that. It is always awesome to read a success story like that, you've got to be proud of those accomplishments. What are your growth plans for your PW biz, or do you have any??

David,

I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to write all of that. It is always awesome to read a success story like that, you've got to be proud of those accomplishments. What are your growth plans for your PW biz, or do you have any??

Not sure at this point. Im hurting for money from a previous (different) business problem but i'll bounce back for sure. It's HOT here in FL. Painted a house a couple weeks ago and it about killed me lol. Not sure if im up for this long term but If i get enough accounts, i'll keep at it. I do find it very interesting to be a part of the PW industry though. I love this board - it's the only one with real people on it that i feel like i can relate to. Probably because just about everyone is a business owner and works his/her butt off which creates a different mentallity. hummmm