Sign in to follow this  
Dave O

Close Call

Question

Ever have a feeling that something is not right? Well it happened to me this morning about 5:00Am. Let the dogs outside for flower patrol around 4:30Am. Was in the house up stairs, and had a feeling that something was wrong. Went downstairs and no one was in the house, lucky for them. Then something like pushed out the side door towards the dogs. The chow was curled up laying in his usual dirt hole. I heard some large movement in the dog house. Now the dog house that I built wasn't little about 4' x 8' x 6' tall with lights, insulation, windows and all the other bells and whistles. So there is enough room for about 4 dogs. So i figured with all that room how can the dog house be moving, it is heavy. Well thought maybe MR. I am a hunting dog took on another animal per usual and had him trapped wacking it against the wall. I looked up the ramp and he was laying there with this look in his eyes like he was having a seisure. He was flopping just about breaking the wood trim on the ramp entrance. Now he always gets up when he sees me. But he didn't so I looked and somehow his choker chain had got caught on a nail head that was missing wood. The poor guy was strangling himself. He is my best friend besides my wife. I don't what I would have done without him. He is only 2 but he gets into alot of trouble LOL. So if you ever have that feeling that something isn't right. Follow it no matter what because you never know. Oh yeah he is ok and out beating on the other dogs again.

17 answers to this question

My best hunting buddy is my weimaraner, Pete. He's just turned ten and is currently adjusting to my new home and wife. (We actually get married this coming Saturday.) I don't know what I'd do without him, and don't even want to contemplate going through a scare like you just did. I'm hoping to get him a young trainee this winter. Let me know if you know a good breeder with unspoken-for pups in the next few months. In the meanwhile, keep your powder dry and take 'em when they crow!

My last weim came from a breeder in Perry,Ga. He helped bring the breed into the U.S. back in the 60's he gets a premium price for them,but they come from great blood lines(mothers are show dogs/fathers are field trial champs).

If you are interested I can get his number.I'm sure he could work out shipping a pup to you.

Wow, I sure am glad your dog is okay. I have two boxers (almost two yrs) and they are definitely my best friends. I take them everywhere and do everything with them, just like a family! They aren't really hunters, but they do kill a lot of stuff! Boxers are so playful--but the rabbits just don't see it that way. They play with moths, junebugs, beetles, frogs----basically anything that moves they play with. I took them to Kansas on a turkey hunt this spring, and when i cut the wings off of the turkeys I gave it to them---they had a blast playing with that! I sure am glad your dog is okay, my dogs' best friend is a Weim--very nice breed of dogs.

Jon!!!!!! We've got two boxers as well......big ole babies they are :) Since the Weimie got put up,we must show off the boxer babies as well ! Jake is the larger 115 lb male, Jersey, 9mo old female.

Celeste

Celeste---they are beautiful!! They are SOOOO much bigger than my two! My male weighs about 70 and the female about 65....how did yours get so big??? Yours are in awesome shape too.....good muscle. I wish I could post a pic of my two goofballs. they both lay on my feet when I type on the computer, lol. I still cannot get over how gigantic yours are, lol!

All we have now is a Tibitan Spaniel, cute little spoiled rotten gal too. Thinks she is still a pup!

We have a boxer, a black lab/pit bull mix and an english coon hound. They're all ours and wouldn't trade them for anything!

When did the new baby arrive?Last I recall it was just the 2 girls.

About 3 months ago I was on my way to go do an estimate and the truck in front of me hit her. She was an emmaciated stray from a hunting club kennel. He was too ignorant and indifferent to do anything for her, so I picked her up, put her in the back seat of the truck, went and did my estimate then immediately took her to the vet. They said she was just beat and skinned up and had some holes in her tongue from biting it when she was hit. We brought her home, gave her some time to get over her soreness, cleaned her up and "the rest is history" as they say. She's put on some weight and looks great!

I know where you can get a 12 week old akc Great Dane $50.They are beautiful but the owners aren't feeding them as much as they should.A friend bought 1 last week she was about 10 lbs under weight, also, they haven't had the ears clipped yet and they will be to old if theyw ait much longer.