Sign in to follow this  
svp07

Compact Shur-flo setup.

Question

I want to make a compact shur-flo setup for my gutter cleaner. I am tired of using a pump-up and having to carry it on a ladder to spray the fascia along the eves. I have a few questions about shur-flo setups.

1) What type of battery and how long will it last when charged?

I am not sure if the shur-flo continually runs or shuts it self off when there is no demend; do I need to wire in an on/off switch?

2) Can I use QC with the poly hose?

I am planning on a 1.6 gal/60 psi pump. Is there enough pressure to keep the QC closed?

3) Any suggestion for a small container that will house the battery and the pump can be mounted on the outside on top?

I will draw from a 5 gal. bucket, set-up like the x-jet.

4) I want to attach an expandable wand to the end for spraying the gutters/fascia, will there be problems?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=357025&R=357025

Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks for the help, I'll post pics if I can built it and it works.

17 answers to this question

I have all of my shurflo pumps equipped with QC. It works great and allows you to easily remove the wand from the hose and the hose from the pump, if need be. One suggestion, why not just apply your gutter cleaner with a brush on an extension pole? That's the way I do it and its a very easy method with alot less waste of chemical. Just dip the brush head in a bucket with you gutter cleaner in it and apply it to the gutters. You don't even need to fill the bucket very much just pore a little in the bucket to cover the bottom and your all set.

I have all of my shurflo pumps equipped with QC. It works great and allows you to easily remove the wand from the hose and the hose from the pump, if need be. One suggestion, why not just apply your gutter cleaner with a brush on an extension pole? That's the way I do it and its a very easy method with alot less waste of chemical. Just dip the brush head in a bucket with you gutter cleaner in it and apply it to the gutters. You don't even need to fill the bucket very much just pore a little in the bucket to cover the bottom and your all set.

Hi Lance,

Do you do this for 2 story gutters as well?

Thanks!

Mike

1) Marine deep cycle battery, charge duration will be dependant on the amperage of your pump but on avg should last around 12-15 hours of continuous use. Recharge with a trickle charger overnite. Shurflo pumps come with an on demand switch to automatically shut the unit off once it reaches max pressure in the diaphram. You can buy one with a by-pass switch instead so that you dont have the unit stopping and starting frequently which can lead to pulsing as you are spraying.

2)yep!

3)you can buy a battery box that you can mount to a cart below the pump mounting.

use a 6' 1/4"I.D. poly braid hose with a 50micro filter.

4) No problems expected.

5) Breaker boxes are great housings for a pump.

Rod~

I want to make a compact shur-flo setup for my gutter cleaner. I am tired of using a pump-up and having to carry it on a ladder to spray the fascia along the eves. I have a few questions about shur-flo setups.

1) What type of battery and how long will it last when charged?

I am not sure if the shur-flo continually runs or shuts it self off when there is no demend; do I need to wire in an on/off switch?

2) Can I use QC with the poly hose?

I am planning on a 1.6 gal/60 psi pump. Is there enough pressure to keep the QC closed?

3) Any suggestion for a small container that will house the battery and the pump can be mounted on the outside on top?

I will draw from a 5 gal. bucket, set-up like the x-jet.

4) I want to attach an expandable wand to the end for spraying the gutters/fascia, will there be problems?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=357025&R=357025

Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks for the help, I'll post pics if I can built it and it works.

1. now have 2 setups, one with a lawn tractor battery, the other with a regular small car battery...really small one though..... trickle battery charge overnight when I use them, never ran outta juice, even on long jobs,,

2.I have qc on all hoses and wands

3.battery box for the battery on one, the other mounts to the bottom of the cart, so cant really help you there...

4.expandable wand would be just like hose, so shouldnt be a problem...we use 3/8 hose on these.....also put mini ball valves on the ends before the qc's, no leaks when I disconnect....plus then I can save all the chems, sealer or whatever is still in the hose when finished.....50 feet of 3/8 actually holds quite a bit of liquid..... good luck and post pics when its done.. :cool:

Hi Lance,

Do you do this for 2 story gutters as well?

Thanks!

Mike

Sure do. I have a 12' and 16' extension pole. The cool thing about brushing on the gutter cleaner is i can usually carfully apply the chem without much if any contact to the exterior of the house. I don't like the idea of spraying a heavy degreaser on gutters and hope it dosen't get on somthinng that can be damaged such as weak paint, metal etc.

I'm with Lance on this one. Brushing on gutter cleaner is more efficient and involves less waste. Gutter cleaner is pretty strong stuff. I wouldn't want to risk the overspray / drift issues with a shurflo. Besides, don't you find that you need to brush gutters occasionally anyway? Extension poles with a carwash brush gets my vote.:)

Rod,

thanks for that post it helped. I was googling "battery case" and nothing was coming up that I could use and I knew there was something out there like that.

As for the brush vs. spray gutter cleaning, do you guys also use it on the fascia and aluminum around the windows? I usually have to clean oxidation and stains off these and they have some stubborn mildew stains. I am using Gutter Shock at about 1 cup per gallon with a drop of foamer (I just started adding in a little chlorine as well about 2 cup per batch)...is this to weak? I brush the fascia (all the way up the eves), the window flashing, gutters, and down spouts. I find they come much cleaner than just using the cleaner alone like I have heard from some. Any suggestions?

I am hoping that the set-up I am working on I will also be able to do roofs with.

Rod,

thanks for that post it helped. I was googling "battery case" and nothing was coming up that I could use and I knew there was something out there like that.

As for the brush vs. spray gutter cleaning, do you guys also use it on the fascia and aluminum around the windows? I usually have to clean oxidation and stains off these and they have some stubborn mildew stains. I am using Gutter Shock at about 1 cup per gallon with a drop of foamer (I just started adding in a little chlorine as well about 2 cup per batch)...is this to weak? I brush the fascia (all the way up the eves), the window flashing, gutters, and down spouts. I find they come much cleaner than just using the cleaner alone like I have heard from some. Any suggestions?

I am hoping that the set-up I am working on I will also be able to do roofs with.

I brush facia a flashing as well, but usually it only needs it in areas without gutters.

I think it would be a great idea to get a shurflo for: roofs, large areas of concrete, very mildewed or stained siding that requires stronger chem than an x-jet or D.S. can provide, even gutters, if that's the way you want to do them. I was just trying to say that the bucket and brush is easy, cheap and makes for simple clean up at the end of the job/day.

Steve, like the others, I prefer to brush the gutters, it really doesnt take as long as you might think, compared to hooking up the shurflo etc....some people even x-jet the gutters, but like mentioned above I dont need that stuff getting on everything......I think my extension pole is 24' (maybe 18', I dont recall) with a big fat car wash yellow brush screwed on...I mix the same chemical 50-50

any auto parts store should have plastic battery boxes, thats where I got mine

I have always used hot water and Steve Rowlets gutter cleaner with my M5. Works EVERY time with very little overspray. Spray the length of the gutter, change wands, go back and rinse off. That simple.

Steve

I use a soft auto brush on a extension pole spray some "all brite" on the brush from a pump-up, brush the cleaner on then back brush the gutter clean. I brush the facia only if needed, sometimes below the gutter or around the downspout it has the same black stains as the gutters and I brush (lightly) the facia. I say lightly because I've had "all brite" take the paint off the facia before. I've never had to brush all the facia or around all the windows, my house cleaner does all the work there. On occasion I've had to had scrub certian areas due to extremely stubborn stains, but that is rare.

Ken

I've never found anything that I can spray on and rinse off and the gutters come completely clean. I use Steves critacleen, if his gutter cleaner performs that well and can clean as well as the pictures then put me in coach I know how to play.

post-15-137772145445_thumb.jpg

post-15-137772145456_thumb.jpg

I've never found anything that I can spray on and rinse off and the gutters come completely clean. I use Steves critacleen, if his gutter cleaner performs that well and can clean as well as the pictures then put me in coach I know how to play.

steves gutter cleaner performs as well as the claims stated here, I just prefer to brush it on for the waste issues and it can be so damn windy here, it gets EVERYWHERE.......although on lower gutters I spray it with a big squirt bottle with a straight stream....janitor type bottles......and many times it can be just rinsed off without aggitation

ROOF CLEANING Basically with the sureflow helpin apply the chem straight. That is needed! Used the pump up sprayer last first time with these chems.How does the chem shoot out? Do you spray a long mist for the high up stuff? Cant do that when its windy! LOL!! is it like my xjet? 40 feet? I got the original. The xjet mixes it to weak at 100% 12.5%, 5 gal bucket. Im getting the sureflo 1.8gpm/ 60 psi.

Send me in the right direction. Please. Chem needs to be applied 100%. Without walkin the roof.

Edited by gutterdog

Mike,

Glad to see your studying, and using the search function. A shurflo will work for roofs, but look into Delavan pumps for more volume. A lot has changed since this post was started.....

gotta go with big mike & Pat on this one. You'll need at least the 5gpm delavan. The 7gpm fat boy would be even better. try to get at least 1/2" hose but 5/8" or 3/4" would be better. take a look at the roof forum for tons of help and info.

Also, Bob has a great video at Pressuretek.com that walks you through setting up a roof pump.

good luck and have fun...

u have to love "Stuttering Bob".

great video.

Ask him why the Canadian government treated him like a common criminal./ I'm never going to let him live that one down. lol.