Sign in to follow this  
John T

2 gun powerwashers.

Question

On my Hydrotek powerwasher that I'm about to sell comes with 3 hose reels with one being the garden hose and the other two are high pressure hoses. It never occured to me that this rig could be used as a two gun set-up even though the gpm's would be low for each gun. The Unit is rated at 4.6gpm's @ 3200 psi so if it is a two gun Unit then each gun would be 2.3 gpm's each.

Can someone show a picture of the part of the there powerwasher that makes it a 2 gun Unit. It almost seems like all you need is a y connector coming of the powerwasher where you can make it a 2 gun unit. If this is true then any Powerwasher can very easily be made into a 2 gun unit.

Can someone give me some light on this............Thanks

Below is some past pictures of my Hydrotek for sale. I will put current pictures of it up soon.

post-43-137772145958_thumb.jpg

post-43-137772145961_thumb.jpg

post-43-137772145966_thumb.jpg

37 answers to this question

They both spray water. I don't think the water that the Landa sprays is worth $3k more!!! The Pressure-Pro unit looks like a very nice machine. I am looking at that exact machine right now, and should have it on the trailer in the next week or two.

I like my 5.6 Pressure Pro its a nice unit, Id like bigger fuel tanks and I had to repace the flow actuator already after not much use and they have a pop off valve that I had to replace because it was defective. But they overnighted me the parts, they didnt want to pay for the overnight charge but I told them they dont have anyone in my area to fix it the least they can do is pay the overnight charge, They did! andI also have spare ones now just in case

The machine runs great, I now wish i got the 8gpm, but I'll probably be getting a second skid in the next few months or so and I would have no problem buying a Pressure Pro again

Landas are great machines I hear but are they a few thousand $$$ better, I dont know

JL

Hey Rod, how do you like your Sprinter van? Is it better than a cube truck. Does it cost the sams to plate it as a cube truck? Do you need to do DOT?
I couldnt answer about the cube truck since we have not used one. But it sure is better than a regular van and more maneuverable than a truck. No D.O.T. requirements because of the lack of cargo. The equipment is permanently mounted and is considered a service vehicle. The amount of fuel we transport is limited to the skid's tanks and a spare 5 gal. gas container.

The mpg was another major point to consider along with it using diesel.

We get 18-24mpg depending on load and driving conditions. Not bad when you consider my Ford Ranger XLT and a Chevy S10 only gets 17mpg max. when empty.

Rod~

Our trailer actually has two seperate guns on it. We have two 20hp Hondas and each gun is 3500 psi with 5.2 GPM all on the same skid ...

This is the proper way to run a two gun machine!

I like my 5.6 Pressure Pro its a nice unit, Id like bigger fuel tanks and I had to repace the flow actuator already after not much use and they have a pop off valve that I had to replace because it was defective. But they overnighted me the parts, they didnt want to pay for the overnight charge but I told them they dont have anyone in my area to fix it the least they can do is pay the overnight charge, They did! andI also have spare ones now just in case

The machine runs great, I now wish i got the 8gpm, but I'll probably be getting a second skid in the next few months or so and I would have no problem buying a Pressure Pro again

Landas are great machines I hear but are they a few thousand $$$ better, I dont know

JL

I don't see how they can be better...Some say Cat is a better pump, but in talking to guys who actually repair equipment, Cat is no better and is more costly when it does break. General has one of the most durable pumps out there, and even when you DO have to repair or replace, they're not going to break you.

This is the proper way to run a two gun machine!

So running an 8 or 10gpm pump from one larger motor with the proper unloader going to two guns is improper? If so, why? I figure that 24hp motor is going to eat much less gas than two 18 or 20hp motors, and then I have more to repair and maintain.

So running an 8 or 10gpm pump from one larger motor with the proper unloader going to two guns is improper? If so, why? I figure that 24hp motor is going to eat much less gas than two 18 or 20hp motors, and then I have more to repair and maintain.

Two guys running on an 8gpm machine (by the way that's what I've got) leaves 4gpms per wand..........well not quite b/c depending on the amount of hose to each wand will change the output slightly. Next...........when one guys releases the trigger the other's gun will take on the extra pressure and if you're not expecting it it can scare the hell out of you. In certain situations this can be dangerous and even be borderline damage causing.

You are absolutely correct regarding increased maintenance and expenses. My remark was not to say that 'our' setup is not proper but IMHO running two machines may be safer and more productive (lack of psi spurges) and a lot less aggrevating.

Also, a two machine setup offers redundancy.

Correct. Great unit and the set up saves time. I have a 225gal tank for supply and 2 reels with 200'@ along with a 150' supply hose. Best investment we've made next to the Freightliner Sprinter van it is mounted in.

Rod~

It's a wonderful machine.....a bit of pain to work on when it comes to pump oil changes, belt replacement and the AR pump get a bit expensive when you have to replace the packing and seal kits.

I'm running two 195gal tanks that are interconnected, 150ft of inlet hose, 200 feet of chemical hose on it's own reel and two electric high pressure hose reels with 350ft of hose each.

It's wonderful to be able to clean 700ft of sidewalk from one spot before having to refill with water.

a bit of pain to work on when it comes to pump oil changes,

I hear that!!! I am not looking forward to replacing the unloader which is due. Tell tale signs is that I have to hold a trigger open to get the machine to start. Otherwise it builds up back pressure and bogs down the engine.

I have to have some nuts taken off and the whole thing will have to be taken out of the van to service.

I have not had to deal with the other items you mentioned but I keep an inspection going on them every 50 hours.

The tanks sure help if you know the property you are going to has a slow flow...I can arrive with the tank full and still be able to finish the job before the tank is drained in most cases.

Rod~

Here I am scratching my head why a 20 minute job would ruin your mood so much to find out, as I read on, that the rig is in the truck. Nasty setup (in terms of maintenance).

Mine is trailer mounted so it's accessible from all sides.

As far as the maintenance is concerned I do it every 50 hours, like clockwork. (engine/pump oils changed, air/gas/diesel/oil filters, spark plugs)

The tanks for me come in handy when I'm doind commercial work........tens of thousands of feet of sidewalk.......and water has to be brought in completely.

Two guys running on an 8gpm machine (by the way that's what I've got) leaves 4gpms per wand..........well not quite b/c depending on the amount of hose to each wand will change the output slightly. Next...........when one guys releases the trigger the other's gun will take on the extra pressure and if you're not expecting it it can scare the hell out of you. In certain situations this can be dangerous and even be borderline damage causing.

You are absolutely correct regarding increased maintenance and expenses. My remark was not to say that 'our' setup is not proper but IMHO running two machines may be safer and more productive (lack of psi spurges) and a lot less aggrevating.

Also, a two machine setup offers redundancy.

Was your machine built as a two-gun setup? From what I understand (based on the quote below) a two gun machine requires a special unloader setup so you don't get 8gpm at 7000psi through one gun when the other guy lets go of his trigger.

A 2 gun system must have a regulating unloader on it. These are different from a trapped pressure or flow controlled unloader. With a flow controlled, 1/2 the water coming through freaks it out and it will cycle, jump, and carry on. A trapped pressure unloader will work for a while, although using it as a regulator will wear it prematurely. A 2 gun system must also have a thermostat on it or it will overheat with 1/2 water flow coming through. Other than that, all you need is a tee at the outlet.

From what I understand (based on the quote below) a two gun machine requires a special unloader setup so you don't get 8gpm at 7000psi through one gun when the other guy lets go of his trigger.

Actually, if the unloader is set for 3,000 psi, it can't get to 7,000 no matter what. But a flow unloader has to see its full rated flow (no splitting it), and a trapped pressure will wear prematurely but will still act as a regulator for a time.