Sign in to follow this  
seymore

Hurricane Katrina

Question

35 answers to this question

From what I here, if N.O. is hit with a catagory 4 storm they could end up with 10 to 12' of water covering most of the city. That sucks. Also, the opinion form an expert in the field added that if this occured, it could take months for all that water to finally disperse. I guess will see. I do feel for the folks in that area, good luck.

as of 2pm central time, this is now the 4th largest storm on record !!! down to 902mb pressure...WOW

pray folks, this could be catastrophic...... inland all the way up to new england could get serious flooding damage.....praying for everybody... BE SAFE and listen to your authorities

It's an absolute shame that people are going to lose their lives, but this is a Cat 5 hurricane that's headed toward a city shaped like a bowl, sitting below sea level. I just hope that for once, more people listen and take it as seriously as they need to. This is gonna be ugly!

They say it could still be a tropical storm by the time it gets as far inland as Indiana. Big storm, wonder why it took people so long to evacuate N.O.? Wish people would take things more serious and not wait til the last minute. When there is a mandatory evacuation that means your own your own if you stay, no 911. Hope everyone gets out of that soup bowl and into a safer area.

My Dad is in Louisiana. He's off Lake Ponchatrain, right near New Orleans. I have not heard a word, and get "all circuits are busy" when I try to call. I'm a bit worried. They rode out the storm at home.

Beth

This is a bad deal here now!!!! Maybe this aint the right time to think of this but did anybody wonder about the cleanup that this is going to cause down there?? Wonder how much power washing this kinda of storm will generate?? In times like these do they hire in p/w crews to help cleanup?? God bless eveyone out there and we are prayin for you!!!

My Dad is in Louisiana. He's off Lake Ponchatrain, right near New Orleans. I have not heard a word, and get "all circuits are busy" when I try to call. I'm a bit worried. They rode out the storm at home.

Beth

Beth,

Hope your dad is ok. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this. The impact of Katrina will be felt for a long time to come.

Mike

Thanks Mike. They are not sure the levy will hold at Lake Ponchatrain now. The one in New Orleans failed. Sounds like the flooding is going to get worse.

Have not heard any news about Hammond yet. If anyone hears about Hammond, please let me know. My Dad is pretty helpless...he's about 80 and he's blind.

Beth

This is a bad deal here now!!!! Maybe this aint the right time to think of this but did anybody wonder about the cleanup that this is going to cause down there?? Wonder how much power washing this kinda of storm will generate?? In times like these do they hire in p/w crews to help cleanup?? God bless eveyone out there and we are prayin for you!!!

I would imagine pressure washing is pretty far down the list of things to do. It would be weeks or months before our kinds of services would be needed.

Beth, hang in there. I'm sure everything will turn out OK with your father.

With two of the hurricanes effecting Orlando directly last year, it was about 2-3 months after everything finally settled down before there was any interest in PWing. With so much structural damage, there were many repairs/replacements happening initially and those alone took what seemed like forever due to the sheer number of homes and businesses effected and the lack of roofing materials available. It did eventually roll around to the cosmetic side of the situation and many started scheduling exterior cleaning.

I'm considering doing something like possibly offering a sizable discount on concrete cleaning in return for a $25 donation to the Red Cross. Please post your comments and opinions on this idea. There needs to be as much support as possible generated for this disaster relief. Last year seemed like a nightmare here, but after seeing those pics of N.O. under water, it seems like much less of a disaster here.

I'm considering doing something like possibly offering a sizable discount on concrete cleaning in return for a $25 donation to the Red Cross. Please post your comments and opinions on this idea. There needs to be as much support as possible generated for this disaster relief. Last year seemed like a nightmare here, but after seeing those pics of N.O. under water, it seems like much less of a disaster here.

Don, I think this is a very generous idea - are you asking your client to make the donation or are you going to send in a lump that you hold out of the fee?

Celeste

Better yet tell them you will match their donation and buy the stamp.

Some people are already aware of the "collect and claim for yourself scam". We encountered that with a tornado disaster here last July 13.

Don, I think this is a very generous idea - are you asking your client to make the donation or are you going to send in a lump that you hold out of the fee?

Celeste

The plan would be for them to pay a small fee to me (to cover my expenses only) and make out a check to the Red Cross which I would collect and turn them all in at once to RC. To put them at more ease, they could simply write 'For Deposit Only' on the back top portion of their checks as an added measure of security.

It would be a 'win-win-win' situation in that the Red Cross will get a donation, the customer will get a clean driveway/sidewalk and I would have the opportunity to make another business contact for possible future consideration.

The best thing anyone and everyone can do is to make a cash donation to the american red cross. This cuts down on shipping cost of supplies and helps boost the economy of the affected area because they buy the suppiles down there.

Don, I think your idea is a very noble thing of you to do.

Great 'added' input Mr. Phelps...The only reason my comments were mentioned before is due to a radio station here asked for donations for a "big" check to donate.....beneficiary....Clear Channel Communications....knowing loopholes is good but taking advantage of all of them is absurd.

Our sports teams here in Houston...Astros,Comets are letting anyone with a La. I.D into the games for free while they are staying in our city.That sure was pretty :cool: of them.

We have many relief drives going on here in Houston to raise money for our nieghbors in La.All the big restaurants,oil companies etc. giving thousonds of dollars.

All my family made it ok in Lafayette,Breaux Bridge area but the damm phones are still so screwy.

I'll tell ya I've seen on the news here in Baytown on the East side of Houston. The Hotels are price gouging like crazy reg. price room $99 since Sat,Sun the rooms are $199!!! Some people are just too damm money hungry!!

I know of a gentleman who lead a team to Ohio to do a weeks worth of flood disaster recovery work, no charge.

I heard from my Dad this evening down in LA, and my step brother has been out all day in his boat rescuing folks from roof tops and taking them to the superdome.

Raising money is a good thing. In times like these there are lots of things that need doing, and for a while I imagine they will be pretty basic, but very important.

Beth

Isn't it odd how if a contractor were to raise his prices like that, it would be price gouging, but it is perfectly acceptable for hotels to do it? It's absurd at best.

Price gouging irritates the living sh** out of me.People did the same thing last year when the hurricanes hit here and a few were prosecuted.The big thing was generators they were in short supply and people were asking $1200 to $2000 for $500 generators man was I pissed.

The Att. General here in Texas are warning buisness's not to take advantage of the refugees staying here.They will investigate them and will prosecute them!

A day after the Hotel's main office found out about the price hike,It was lowered back to the $99 room rate.

Beth, very happy to hear all is well with your family !!!!

the police are having a real hard time with the looting.... animals!!! I can understand (to a point) the stealing of food, its self preservation and survival, but looting clothes and tv's.......

I wonder if any of our teams up here will be sent down to assist like on 9-11..?

they're calling now for the complete evacuation of N.O., they stopped trying to plug the holes and are expecting the pumps to fail overnight..... bad deal

Beth

Am I to understand your dad lives in Hammond? I live in Hammond too. If your dad needs any help please call me 225-294-4105.I had to come to my church in baton rouge to log onto internet.I'm actually calling around stores to find a stupid AOL disc so I can get dial up till the cable is repaired.Been without power for 5 days now.I have a generator going so we're comfortable,just always searching for gas.

Please call if he needs help with yard or groceries,not working for a couple of days so I'm just kinda helping a few others out but I will gladly keep an eye out for him if he needs it too.

Scott