Sign in to follow this  
Clean Solutions

Hi All... New Here...

Question

Just wanted to say Hi...

Really excited to start my business...

Haven't even done my first job yet =o)>

Don't laugh too hard. I'm here doing the research and it'll still be a little bit.

Just wanted to give you an intro and let you know there will be a lot of questions to follow...

Looks like a great site and resource!!

Thanks!!

11 answers to this question

Welcome to the bbs :) Congratulations on taking the best first step (researching). Take advantage of the wealth of knowledge you'll find here - the search feature is a great tool but don't let it stop you from asking if you can't find a specific answer! That's why we're all here - to help each other so we're all more successful in this industry!

Celeste

Hi All and thanks sooo much for the warm welcome!

Initially, I was going to specialize in deck care and that's kinda still where I am.

The more I research, the more uses for a power washer I find... They all seem great!

Of course, taking any job along the way and trying to learn.

I don't want to stop there by any means, but also don't want to overwhelm myself quite yet =o)>

My plan with my low budget to start off is buying a really good portable cold water, belt driven unit with 4gpm min. and 4000 psi.

Later, I'll definitely add a hot box and tanks.

What do you think?

Beat me, whip me, train me =o)>

I definitely dream big too... Saw JohnT, I think, get a huge trailer unit full of equipment for his box truck.

WOW =o)>

Hey Trent welcome aboard.

As far as a washer goes dont go below 4gpm and as for psi I have never wanted more pressure than my 3000psi hot water machine puts out. GPM does most of the work. But thats just my 2cents.

Someone doing research before their first job.. awesome! Welcome to the board, Trent..What area are you specializing in?

Someone researching before asking a bunch of redundant questions.......Kudos to ya, man! Welcome. Use that search button...this place is like a library.

Thanks for the Tip Richard! I keep hearing that GPM is key not the PSI.

My thought process was that having the extra PSI might outweigh the

fact that the unit will only be cold water.

From what I've read… no real life yet, Hot water is the way to go…

Heat and low pressure right?

I'm pretty sure in most cases 3000 will be more than enough… especially for a hot unit.

Do you think there are times that the extra would be helpful?

Like when I get that first driveway job and I only have a cold water unit?

I just can't squeeze out enough for a decent hot unit right now unless

I find a hell of a deal =o)>

If I did, that's all I'd be able to do…

I'm thinking with a cold water unit, I can get a decent one and still have

leftover for extra hoses, reels, chem's and maybe some other cool attachments

like a flat surface cleaner.

Whatdya think? Should I be thinking differently?

Thanks Russ... I'm eating up this site like candy... Soooo much good info!!

I drooled over at your site too =o)>

If your leaning towards more wood restoration as your primary mission, and some house washing......cold at 4gpm with 3k-3.5k psi is fine. 5gpm is better, as is 6,7,8......for wood, you'll probably use 500-1000psi at the most....the volume of water is what you want to remove your stripper, cleaner and all around rinsing.

and you can clean most residential homes with the same machine, hot works quicker and usually requires less rinsing, but if a $1000 machine is in the budget more so than a $4,500 machine, then your answer is almost staring you in the chops......because even if you have the 4 grand and thats it, dont forget the trailer, wands, hose (supply and pressure), tips, nozzles, plugs, quick connects, ladders, x-jet, chems, (house, cement, gutters, wax, rinse aid, wood strippers, cleaners, acids, sealers, various soaps etc etc) brushes, poles, mineral spirits, tarps, plastic, sealer and chem delivery system (shurflo-flowjet-etc) and on and on......oh yea, insurance, advertising, vehicle signs, t-shirts, business cards, blah, blah, blah.........you can always upgrade and everything you aquire down the road (mostly) will work with a hot rig as well, then you can get into the bigtime commercial stuff like gas stations, dumpster pads etc.......good luck and shoot me an email or PM anytime :)

Thank you all!! Awesome site! Great info!

I need to add that it is great to be able to come here as the new guy

and be able to get what you need without people giving you a ration of BS.

Where are all the California guys... I think I've only seen a handful on here?