Sign in to follow this  
mikew

PT Fence

Question

Hi Everyone,

Pictures are here:

www.mrpressure.com/fence.html

I have started my first wood project. It is my own pressure treated fence. Fence was stained about 5 years ago using a Behr Acrylic Stain (before I knew better). I have only done about a 30 foot section.

Used HD80 at 6oz. per gallon. I let the stripper dwell 20-25 minutes. Rinsed and then followed that up with ESI Citralic Neutralizer mixed at 1/2 cup per gallon with 10 minute dwell. Rinsed the wood again. Used a 40080 tip on my 3.6 GPM machine which gives me about 700 PSI. I used pump up sprayers for applying the chems.

Observations:

1. Using Pump up sprayers sure seems slow. I believe that a shurflo setup would be quite a bit faster. Is this true? Do you use a lot more product due to faster application?

2. Rinse, Rinse, Rinse - I found that each time that I went back to rinse some more I would keep getting the chems, etc... out of the knots in the wood.

3. When the stripper was dwelling the wood pores look really "open" so to speak. I assume this is part of what the stripper does. What would be the technical description of this process? Are those dead fibers which are then removed during the low pressure rinse? Now that the fence section has dried I do have some fuzzies but not much ( I think).

Feel free to let me know what you think. I'm looking for input and feedback from the pros. I think I will try a section using HD80 at 4oz. and see what results I get.

Thanks,

Mike

8 answers to this question

Mike,

Nice job that fence looks good as new :cool:

Oh by the way a shurflo is the way to go it's faster,more effecient.Sometimes there is no way to avoid the fuzzies but you can always brush them off after the fence is dried.

Mike.... couple things 1. if your gonna do a lot of this, go with a shurflo type setup, the pump up bites, except in emergencies, you wont use more chems, you'll just move faster without stopping for all the pumping and filling and mixing.... 2. I dont think many here worry much about fuzzies on fences, its a fence... (unless its furred really bad) 3. and finally, what are ya gonna seal it with?

looks great by the way

You couldn't ask for better. Good idea using your own wood as a test bed. I say you are ready to make some profit from it. How did that grass hold up to the HD-80.

My only observation would be to try the HD at weaker dilution. I'm guessing 50% would still have given you similar results with less furring.

Way to go! Looks great! Don't know how old the Behr was or how many coats were on there, but verticals can be tricky, since sealers hold up better vertically.

Looks like you are on your way. If this is your first time washing wood, well,,,many don't do this well stripping right out of the gate. Can't wait to see it sealed.

Beth :cheers:

Mike,

Nice job that fence looks good as new :cool:

Oh by the way a shurflo is the way to go it's faster,more effecient.Sometimes there is no way to avoid the fuzzies but you can always brush them off after the fence is dried.

Thanks Shane. Fuzzies are not bad but I am going to try brushing some off.

Mike.... couple things 1. if your gonna do a lot of this, go with a shurflo type setup, the pump up bites, except in emergencies, you wont use more chems, you'll just move faster without stopping for all the pumping and filling and mixing.... 2. I dont think many here worry much about fuzzies on fences, its a fence... (unless its furred really bad) 3. and finally, what are ya gonna seal it with?

looks great by the way

Thanks Michael. Using pump ups really does bite. Pumping, filling, & mixing takes alot of time.

You couldn't ask for better. Good idea using your own wood as a test bed. I say you are ready to make some profit from it. How did that grass hold up to the HD-80.

My only observation would be to try the HD at weaker dilution. I'm guessing 50% would still have given you similar results with less furring.

Thanks Ken. I want to experiment on my own wood before I take any paying jobs. I'll check the grass again tomorrow...so far so good. I think I will try the HD80 at 4oz. per gallon and see how it does.

Way to go! Looks great! Don't know how old the Behr was or how many coats were on there, but verticals can be tricky, since sealers hold up better vertically.

Looks like you are on your way. If this is your first time washing wood, well,,,many don't do this well stripping right out of the gate. Can't wait to see it sealed.

Beth

Thanks Beth. The Behr is about 5 years old. There really isn't much left in places. Came of pretty easy. This was my first time washing wood and I loved every minute of it! I enjoy doing this work and seeing the results!

I'll probably seal it with Ready Seal Natural Cedar or Medium Red. I'm trying to decide if I want to start out using Ready Seal or Wood Tux. I'm leaning toward Ready Seal because it appears to be easier to work with for a newbie.

Thanks,

Mike