Sign in to follow this  
Mike

What if.....

Question

19 answers to this question

For over 25 years I played in Rock bands from Los Angelas to Houston. Still do!

Made a pretty good living at it and have several cd releases in the later years plus worked as a logistics broker ( lots of money there) in the transportation industry for airlines and truck firms for food money.

I opened a show for Mick Taylor of the Rolling Stones and Susan Tedasky and Pat Travers and Tesla and Dangerous Toys and many others years ago. Just never quit made the big time with it, but who cares, it's what I still truely love.

One day as I was in the logistics bus., my wife said " ya know, I don't think I have seen you happy in over 5 years". That's all it took and almost 2 years now I have been PWing. Not near as much $$$$ as in Transportation but I am alot happier nonetheless. Plus I still just love playing in bands. I have pretty much given up on becoming a "Rock Star" but I still get occassional royalties and just love to play.

Whenever I am not PWing you can find me in my studio writing or recording.

That will always be my main love, making music. I sure love being my own boss though!!!!!!

I would still be chasing fires across the country on my old Hotshot crew working for the forest service and trying to get into Rookie Smokejumping School.

I am glad my life didnt go that way even though it was a long dream of mine to Jump fires.

I would have never had met my fiancee and I would never had the chance to branch out on my own.

Its funny how in life you have goals and aspirations and you excell in the career your in.Then all of a sudden the lord above steps in and says, I dont think so and you go zooming down the road he wants you on. And I have no complaints of being on my current road.

you have alot of guts Richard. I myself say things like... why jump out of a perfectly good aircraft, much less into a fire. Man, that takes some real cahounas!!!

Hats off to you for trying.

Adrian B. Carrier

http://soulcatcherblues.com/images/Soulcatcher%20pics/namm/namm%202004/girl%20pat%20travers%20don%20johnston%20011604.jpg

My main sales guy is a rock star, thats funny. I will loose him for a year on the next tour.

Thats there site, in phoenix they kick butttt.

http://soulcatcherblues.com

Mr. **********

You are a GREAT boss to give him the time off to tour. I have literally had to give some jobs up because being on the road is just that important!!!!

You should feel good about yourself for helping him live his dream.

Love that picture of Mr. Travers as well.

When my band opened for Pat in the 80's in Austin Tx, there is a room at most clubs (green room, where the musicians hang away from the fans and warm up), I watched that man down almost a whole bottle of Jack without batting an eye just before he took the stage and kicked everyone's butt. He is also quite the gentleman.

Best of luck to your employee.

hello this is Tim. We go to the namm show every year and get to hang out and play with some of the worlds greatest musicians. friends with many members of Dio and Vanilla Fudge etc.. Check out the photo page and their links

www.soulcatcherblues.com

Ron is my best friend and we are retiring together someday, but very soon I get to tour domestically and internationally

very cool

Email me at the site

Hey Tim thx for the tag! Great website too. Noticed Glen Hughes on your site from Trapeze. Whooa! that brings back some memories. So cool you get to go to NAMM.

Did you happen to get to meet Satch and his new Peavey Amp? He's the coolest guy in the world. Always takes the time for his fans. He actually has a cd release of mine from years back. Glen Hughes also had Pat Travers guitarist, Pat Thralls in a project that made a couple of releases in the 80's. Hughes Thrall band. Again, thx for the tag,

but I think I may have strayed from the thread a bit...... sorry Mike.

Well I have a good one for you guys. My full time gig was a police officer until I was wrongfully accused of something I wish not to disclose. So now I have turned to powerwashing for the mean time until my case goes to trial and god willing a jury will not find me guilty and set me free. Once that happens I will still stay in the painting and powerwashing biz and try to capitalize the market and take the city that I work for money$$$.

If money was not a worry I would buy the best Motorhome in the 39 foot class and travel the USA and Canada coming back to see our family every 3 month.

That aside what would I do if I did not get into the PW bus, truth be told have not given it a thought, what would I do, why did you have to ask that question now I cannot think straight. LOL

I got it, work.

With monsy no object, and doing what you would love? I would be the next Boyd Coddington, except I am a much nicer person than he is. Then in my spare time, I would do scouting stuff.

Scott Stone

Funny you should bring this up. I'm actually been re-considering PW'ing for some time now. I enjoy it overall, but between taking calls, running quotes, scheduling the guys, go-backs, billing, etc. It's a tremendous overhead relative to the payback. Not that business next will be less work, but getting paid $1-200 (profit) per job is not much reward/effort.

Personally, this business and I will only work out long term if I can manipulate it into a position where each job is no less than one full day for two men. 1-2hrs overhead for $800 (rev) I can handle. 1-2hrs overhead for $185 (rev) is just not worth it.

My next venture? Grow my internet biz 5x, and start rehab/flipping property.

FWIW, my biggest difficulty today is that I am 37, have a family, nice house, etc. All the accoutrements of a successful upper-middle class life. Even with no nonessential debt (i.e. house, modest cars), my present life creates and income floor that is difficult to create in a startup business. I am managing alright, but it leads to a trememdous amount of stress as I bob in the ebbs & flows of a start up business. Some weeks I am elated, others I fret each day as I try to put together enough business to cover this months basics.

Yes, I know I need to re-evaluate my business plan, obtain adequate financing for 3 years, and work my way out of debt and into success. But that is a go for broke scenario. And while I am more than willing to assume that risk for myself, it's not one that I am comfortable imposing on my family should it go badly.

Any comments are welcome. I am neither thin skinned, shy about airing my laundry, nor shy about critisicm, so fire away.

I gotta wonder what most people do for money.....I question where I went wrong or even if I did.....we were just down in Florida visiting the old man, as we were cruising around the beach area we were looking at these fabulous homes on the water, in these super nice neighborhoods up and along the intercoastals......you really dont get a good "view" until we were flying in and out, as we're in the air looking down there is sooooo many little intercoastal waterways with beautiful houses, docks with gorgeous boats etc....and these are up and down the coast "everywhere"......in and around every big coastal city, not to mention the giant condo buildings on the coasts and this is everywhere all around the country !! then the rest of the rich folks everywhere else in between.....I dont get it, what the hell do all these people do for a living? is there that much money out there? are all these people inventing crap, owning large multi-million businesses? theres not that many out there where all these people can have all this money.....??? what the hell am I doing wrong.....I want a house on the beach with a boat and a view and a couple luxury cars too......but then again Im not digging thru dumpsters looking for my next meal, or in prison, so I guess Im thankful for that......

back to the original ?.... I would just like to pick the right 6 numbers on a 250 million mega bucks and call it a day :cool:

Michael H.

Yes there really is all that money out there and most, not all but most those people started investing it at a young age. Buy stocks, mutual funds, blue ship long term stocks.

Property and rent it out, buy duplexes and triplexes. Don't buy 12 unit apartment buildings that will always have something going wrong, screen your tenents very throughly, no druggies, working girls, animals, or ex-felons.

Stay out of debt, don't over buy, if you cannot afford it then you do not need it. Don't trade in a car because it is 5 years old and you want the latest model, keep the old clunker till it dies, just maintain it.

No trips to the Bahama's, do put the kids though college then let them know where the front door is and that you will be happy to put the deposit down on their first apartment but not co-sign, that way if they fail to pay the rent you are not stuck with it.

Don't go out to dinner 3 nights a week, eat out once every other week and to a class AAA place, settle for Sizzler or some other so so place.

Do what one ex-Californian did, pay a cop to plant evidence and make a mockery of the police department then play golf daily!

No better not kill your wife, Florida might have different laws if your not a Bush.

Don't and this I cannot stress enough, DO NOT use your credit card for everything, keep a low balance on it.

More so NEVER ACCEPT THOSE PRE-QUALIFIED CREDIT CARDS YOU GET IN THE MAIL, TRASH THEM AFTER YOU RIP THEM APART.

In other words live like a poor man and save for the day you can enjoy your riches.

LOL, Dennis is there not enough Playgirls here for you you would need to travel the world?

OR

Is it once they go out with you once they won't go out a second time?

OR

Are you going to be the NEW Hugh Heffner?

Now what would happen to you if your wife saw this post?

I found this on another bbs - seems appropriate here :)

Do you know where you are going?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A boat docked in a tiny village. A tourist complimented the local fisherman on

the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the fisherman.

"But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the Tourist

The fisherman explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his

needs and those of his family.

The Tourist asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and relax with my wife.

In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks,

play the guitar, and sing a few songs . I have a full life."

The Tourist interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you!

You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra

fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat."

And after that?" asked the Fisherman.

With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one

and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers.

Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate

directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You

can then leave this little village and move to Los Angeles, or even New York City!

From there you can direct your huge new enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Fisherman.

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the Tourist.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? Well my Friend, That's when it gets really interesting,

answered the Tourist, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can

start selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?" said the Fisherman.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast,

sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, relax with your wife

and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends."

And the moral is:

Know where you're going in life...... you may already be there.