Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Advice for first time Dad?

Question

38 answers to this question

Congradulations Celeste,

Your two posts win the prize for being the most disgusting (propelled female urination/hygiene/projectile vomiting), LOL!

Question: Why shouldn't babies sleep on their back?? I've always heard that if someone passes out drunk that they should sleep on their stomach so they won't choke on their vomit. Seems babies would be the same??

Okay, here are my tips from a cranky guy without kids (sister has a couple, as do many of my friends that are my age (29). Some of these tips are based on things I've done to offend:

1) No blabbering baby messages on the answering machine, unless it is a number that only the grandparents can call.

2) Only you and really maternal broads think the babies bodily functions are cute.

3) Don't be offended if you introduce the baby to guys and they guess the *** wrong until the kid is 4 or 5. I've had to start referring to kids as "it."

4) If your baby is smiling/cooing/waving at some guy and it is obvious the guy is avoiding eye contact and not really smiling back, it doesn't mean he's a pedophile or mean, he is just really uncomfortable around kids (again, experience)

5) If it is a boy, don't let your wife name him. The world will be tough enough without having a name your wife thought was "adorable." Give him a chance with a good, solid name like Clarence or George. Think Senatorial, not Abercrombie model.

Sorry my tips are so cantankerous. Good luck, I'm sure it will be fun. Oh, and it will be your job to think into the future for him, so keep him out of humiliating pictures and such.

Question: Why shouldn't babies sleep on their back?? I've always heard that if someone passes out drunk that they should sleep on their stomach so they won't choke on their vomit. Seems babies would be the same??

Nope, according to all the experts, sleeping on the back is a must. Doing away with sleeping on the stomach has shown to cut the incidence of SIDS by 50%. There shouldn't be anything in the crib/bassinet that can cover the baby's head/face, or that they can get their face up against. This keeps a fresh flow of oxygen to their face. The problem is that if a baby's face gets covered, they can have a problem arousing themselves enough to move their head and can eventually stop breathing. Once a baby is a week or so old, his/her "thermostat" is capable of maintaining body temperature, and there's really no need for a blanket in the crib/bassinet. Just a warm pair of PJs and a nice firm flat place to sleep is all you need.

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/sids/reduce_infant_risk.htm

The internet is a GREAT source of information when you have questions about anything...

And yes, I have found that it IS completely normal to check the baby 10 or more times/day to be sure he's breathing, even nudge him a bit to make sure he moves.

There was also a report here locally in the news that they recommend pacifiers now. They say that when the baby has it in thier mouth, it does not allow them to fall in a deep enough sleep and forget to keep breathing?

Thanks again for all the advice and laughs.

Mike W, your son looks great! Adoption is a wonderful thing.

I get amused when they change how a baby is supposed to sleep every couple of years - I've had 4 and all 4 slept in different ways according to the experts - 1 on back, 1 on stomach, 1 on side tilted toward back with support and then the one who insisted on sleeping "sitting" in his rocker seat more than anything. All were pacifier lovers! We have been blessed with no serious health problems but I can see where a new parent might question which way to go. I do know that keeping the infant in the bed WITH you for sleeping/napping is not advised (although it is very easy to do, particularly when breast feeding).

Seems to be the time of year for Mike's to become Daddies!

Celeste

Mike con grats on the addition to the family. Well where should I start

1) buy ear plugs for those long crying nites.

2) Find a rental property to get away from both the wife and the kid...haha

3) Be prepared to spend less on yourself, as the wife will say honey the baby needs this and that and this and that.....

4) But the most important of all is for a safe and happy delivery for both your wife and the little guy/girl who is on the way.

Best of luck to your family

Don't get to wrapped up in the "trying to get the baby on a schedule" thing. Babies grow and develop at their own rate. They sleep and eat when they need to. Be ready to lose lots of sleep for a while. It evens out as they get older and their stomachs mature and digest differently.

Also learn where your 24 hour pharmacy is. And which stores near you are open really late.... believe me, this does come in handy.

Until you get used to parenting, you might keep a record of things...when baby eats, sleeps, etc. This way you can spot a pattern, and also if you need to tell a doctor something, you will have it.

Be ready to help your wife out for a while... it takes 9 months to create a baby, not long to deliver one, and the effects on the body can be hard. She will need some rest and time to...heal. Nuff said.

Make sure the house is really clean before you come home, you might find it a challenge to do after the baby arrives. And like I said, cook some things ahead...it will help.

Beth

Mike,

I have one more suggestion. Just ignore it in case someone else mentioned it earlier and I missed it.

Baby wipes - Go to Sam's (or wherever, we only have Sam's) and buy that big box (case) of wipes that are in with the diapers. It is a great value and you will use them, lots of them.

Hopefully someone will give this as a baby gift. These are what I get to give as a gift, which leads to a tip for single guys who have to get a baby gift for someone. Because you are a single guy and the box is big, you are not required to wrap it. Just stick a Christmas bow on it with a card and hand it to the new dad. This box makes a great impression and it is less than $10.00. I have even taken a magic marker and written on the box when I forget to get a card.

Chuck

ON the schedule thing, For the first three months we let our kids do what ever they wanted. at 3 months, they started getting trained to sleep at night, and it only take s a couple of nights of zero sleep and evilness to accomplish it. Our results were 4 kids who all slept through the night from 3 months on.

Scott Stone

Thanks to EVERYONE for the great information!!

We will keep everyone posted on what happens, the baby is due anyday now so it wont be much longer. Thanks again!

I should keep this thread oepn so when I'm up at 3am I'll have something to go back and read again :D

We just had our 3rd child last month. I have been lucky with my kids pretty much sleeping through the night right off the bat. My wife went back to work this week so I am on my own with a 5 year old boy, 3 year old girl, and a 1 month old baby. A baby swing is the greatest invention in the world. Our newborn loves it to death. She will sleep for hours in that thing.

One thing I always suggest is limit the use of a pacifier. I did that with my first two and they never really depended on them. I hate it when I see 3 year old kids still sucking on a pacifier. Break habits before they start.

Bouncy seats are another life saver. You have to get the ones with music and vibration. They are nice because they are smaller but they do not take the place of a swing. A swing is hard to take with you.

Guys have a harder time especially with infants. Just because the infant will cry doesn't mean you are doing something wrong. Infants have a special bond with the mother and is amazing that you can hold a baby for an hour and it could scream it's head off and then hand it to the mother and all of a sudden it becomes very quiet and goes to sleep. Babies can detect their mothers smell. When Jenny is away I will try and find her biggest shirt and put it on so she can smell her and I have noticed that will help calm her. I would rather where a pink girly shirt and be holding a calm baby then wearing a my own shirt and have her scream like mad.

Another problem we have is that my stubble can irritate the baby's face. Pay attention to that. Even after you just shave it can still poke babies skin.

There are tons of little tricks and advice people will give. What works for my kids may not work with yours. It doesn't hurt to try different things and find out what works for you..

:D It's a Girl :D

Thanks again to everyone for the great advice. This past week has been an adventure for sure, but like I said before, we love every minute of it. She is just a precious as can be!

:D It's a Girl :D

Thanks again to everyone for the great advice. This past week has been an adventure for sure, but like I said before, we love every minute of it. She is just a precious as can be!

Congrats, Pop....hey, where's the pictures??? Take good care of her, Mike.