Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Improving Gas Mileage & Saving Money

There was another thread I started in the clubhouse about the price of gas (here's a link to that thread http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4801) the other day and some of the comments there got me thinking, what are things we can do to improve gas mileage that could save our companies money down the road? Not only do you get the benefit of getting more milage per gallon, but it might also help engines to run better and last longer which is also a money saver.

:vroom: Does anyone have tips or ideas that have worked for them?

I dont pay much mind to gas prices anymore .im gonna buy it no matter what .I fill up every day at close to 75 to 100 dollars a day .i have greasel guzzler .it pulls my rig with no effort .no pun intended steve

I pull all of my rigs with horses. My burner runs on coal. My pressure washer is the hand-crank type. Other than that, there's not much else I can do to save.

Engine tuneups, tires inflated to full pressure and checked often, drive at 55 mph on the highway, get rid of excess weight on truck, keep oil changed every three months, route planning, job grouping, separate vehicle to do proposals and I surcharge every job over ten miles away.

I say raise your prices a little to offset the gas cost. Another option would be to scale down a little and sell the gas guzzlers and get a more economical vehicle........

On a postive note gas is starting to come back down some. It has dropped another 20 cents a gallon in the past few weeks....and my prices will not decrease so thats more money in my pocket......

I started using Amsoil synthetic motor oil about six months ago and my mileage increased 1.8 mpg. That is not much but every little bit helps. A friend of mine who races on dirt tracks say he uses it in his race car and does not have to tear down the engine at half season like he does with regular oil. So maybe less wear and tear on the engine is another benefit.

It is kind of weird, I bought the best they had and it says change the oil every 25k miles and the filter every 12k miles. Hmmmmmm!

Smokey51

You can add computer chips, run dual exhaust, install a cold air intake system all these also add mileage by making your engine run more effiecent they also add power to the engine extra bonus!!. Just figure out if the up front cost is worth a few more mpg in the long run.

Run 55 going down the interstate, slow stops and starts. Dont idle for a length of time. And as mentioned air pressure, rotate tires, change oil as recomended both motor and trans.

Just a few that came to mind.

I switched to Mobil 1 and installed a K&N air filter. I've seen a slight improvement in fuel economy, maybe .5 to .8 mpg.

That translates to an extra 20 miles per tank of fuel, which saves me $5 per week. That adds up to about $260 per year.

To me it would be foolish to NOT consider ways of saving fuel.

Imagine how much fuel could be saved if every driver did what he could to reasonably & cheaply increase their fuel economy by 1mpg.

I accept that I have to spend a lot of money on gas to drive the truck I chose. If I do nothing else, I should at least do my part to conserve oil whenever possible. In this day and age, it's the responsible thing to do.

I try to save a dollar where I can!! Like was said easy take offs save alot of fuel!!! When you take off just let it slowly climb not just floor it. I can tell a big difference on the fuel mileage when I real run it or just ltake it easy!!

I run medium grade gas in my truck which the extra ten cents per gallon gets me more mpg. enough to offset the difference in price and then some. i have tried premium grade but still get same mpg as medium. cheap grade my truck spark knocks and fuel mileage suffers. i also have a honda civic that i do my running around in. I just don't think it would pull my trailer.

I run medium grade gas in my truck which the extra ten cents per gallon gets me more mpg. enough to offset the difference in price and then some. i have tried premium grade but still get same mpg as medium. cheap grade my truck spark knocks and fuel mileage suffers. i also have a honda civic that i do my running around in. I just don't think it would pull my trailer.

I've noticed the same thing with the new Dodge...they recommend mid-grade, and I have noticess close to a 2mpg increase using it. More than enough to justify the increased cost.