Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stone

We've all done it.

Question

We have all done it. Something that was screwy, maybe a little on the edge of EPA laws, or defied common sense in order to make a customer happy. If you havewn't you have not been in business long enough. SO the question is, Since you have been in business what screw thing did you do, that you knew you were doing in process that was totally against anything you had ever learned to make a customer happy.

Here is mine. I was doing a hydraulic oil clean up, years ago, before there was any kind of push for compliance. I was washing down an asphalt driveway in a VERY expensive part of town. It was a $5 million dollar home 16 years ago. The customer was complaining because of the black spot from the hydraulic oil. So what do you do? We all know that pressure washing is not going to color match the asphalt. I took a pump up sprayer and coated the whole driveway with transmission fluid to give it a uniform color. The results, The customer was thrilled, and I got a good sized check for taking care of the problem. $700 for 3 hours work.

So, what did you do?

Scott

12 answers to this question

Stripped paint from a customers wooden window frames. I didn't want to do it, I warned him that it would damage the wood and that not all of the paint would be removed. I told him that the results would make me look unprofessional (if the premise is that I, as a pro, should not damage materials I set out to clean). I only agreed to do it with a written understanding from him of what would happen. Being the money slut I am, I took my pressure washer and went to town, virtually destroying some sections of wood that were rotting. In hindsight perhaps I should have looked a little harder for a stripper to apply first, but it was regular outdoors paint, so I didn't think I'd fund much that would be quick. In the end, the job looked like crap but he was happy. He was going to sand it down and repaint and he said that sanding would be easier after this. "Never again" I told myself as I pulled out of the drive.

I had some white gutters where the black streaks WOULD NOT come off. 3 rounds of butyl caustic solution and scrub brush, and they were not even phased. I don't know what had happened to make them this way, but they were permanent. Same solution that I just spray and rinse everyone else with. Anyway, the customer insisted that I try again, and wanted to know if I had anything stronger. I tried to talk her off the ledge, but she wouldn't hear it. So, at her insistence I went at the gutters with straight butyl caustic and a soft rag. After I rinsed about 2 feet to reveal shiny clean aluminum...

She was PO'd, but couldn't do anything but fume. I said no several times, but she had persisted. I still think about that when I pass the house every so often. They have since painted the gutters, and it looks like crap.

I was cleaning the inside of a pool cage (screen enclosure) and had the lance pointed up when I pulled the trigger. Of course with a pressure actuated unloader on the machine at the time, I got a nice kick when I pulled the trigger and popped the other end of the lance right through the screen. My eyes shot out of my head then I just busted out laughing. The homeowner wasn't there and they were planning to have it rescreened in the near future anyway since there were already several small tears from branches, etc. So I suppose I was lucky in that regard.

:lgbugeyes

Funny stuff.

At the beginning of the summer I had a customer that fancied herself as a premier gardener. Her landscaping was immaculate I must admit. I told her her plants would be fine. She must have asked me twenty times if I would harm her azaleas. I bought a breathable tarp to cover these things just in case of misshap. So what do I do? I slip off the step thats covered in stripper and crunch, my foot lands right in it. I yanked off the covering one of them is laying flat, it's little stem crushed under my boot. After messing with it (and having my guy watch for her coming around the corner) I was able to prop it up so that the first rain or gust of wind wouldn't knock it over. I knew that once it was up for awhile it would regain it's natural stature, I just didn't want to hear her freak.

A couple years ago, I put an extension pole and brush down on a customers lawn. It had strong Oxalic on it. This guys lawn had some real nice GREEN grass, real fine, it was hot out. 10 minutes later i pick up brush, a nice rectangle of yellow burnt grass. I had two cans of Green rustolium in my truck for some lawn furniture I was going to sand & paint. Well it matched up pretty close and I got out of there.

Do you think I should have used a primer first? LOL

We were cleaning the gutter exterior on an older house. It had green algae, mold, mildew anything else you could imagine. We spot cleaned a small section with our standard diluted solution and it took everything off (including the coating) down to shinny metal. Tried Simple Green with the same results. I had the customer look at it and offered to paint the entire gutter (for free) after cleaning. She assured me it looked a lot nicer than it did before, and wanted the rest of it cleaned - regardless. When the job was over, she had a nice shinny gutter she was pleased about and gave my tech a nice tip.

We used to use swivels and bent wands on all of our guns to ease the back pain.

However, when you use a gun in the manner DON'T EVER use it one handed.

The freakin thing takes off like it had a life of it's own and I couldn't grab ahold of it fast enough. Unfortuanetly the wand and I started to spin around in circles as we fought for control. I finally gained a two hand grip on it after if flew into the back of my buddies head.

No stitches or major injuries but now his nickname is lumpy..lol

This happened just this summer. We showed up at a job site to wash a deck and a fence. While hooking up hoses, we notice several piles of doggy doo-doo right in the area we will be working. Well, I'm about fed up with people who don't clean up those land mines before workers show up. I take a stick, and flick a good size log up onto the narrow sidewalk behind the house leading to their pool, planning to leave it there.

In the mean time, the homeowner comes walking outside barefoot to offer us something cold to drink, and yes, she steps right on the now-exposed landmine. She tried to not make a scene, and remain calm, but I knew she stepped in it, and I could see the look on her face that she knew what she stepped in. But she didn't know I had previously flicked the doggy Baby Ruth bar there minutes earlier.

That moment it was extremely difficult to keep a straight face, but I think I pulled it off. I'll bet she cleans up the dog pooh more regularly next time.

In the mean time, the homeowner comes walking outside barefoot to offer us something cold to drink, and yes, she steps right on the now-exposed landmine. She tried to not make a scene, and remain calm, but I knew she stepped in it, and I could see the look on her face that she knew what she stepped in. But she didn't know I had previously flicked the doggy Baby Ruth bar there minutes earlier.

That's too funny i wish i could have been there...:lolsign:

I had a housewash that I thought would be an X Jet/ Extension pole only job. I took an extension ladder just in case, but had no plans on actually using it. Well come to find out, I can not extend the pole because the wall is to close to the house and I have to go up on the roof to get the chimney.

So up I go and then realize that I must go up to the next level to get it done, so I must drag the 20' ladder up on the roof.

Three stories up, no fall protection and a decent wind, I finally get done thinking the hard part is out of the way. Then I come to realize that getting the ladder back down and set up on the ground is a little bit harder than I thought. I had a feeling I would not get down in one piece. No helper and no one to call for help.

I am not a fan of housewashing, do not plan on doing many more unless it is big money, and still wonder how in the world I got through that day. I had three to do that day, and had that been the first one, I would have cancelled the other two.

As far as defying common sense to make the customer happy, I guess I am guilty on a regular basis considering some of the neighborhoods I go into alone at night. A soldier in the Army of Clean, I go behind enemy lines on a regular basis, doing jobs that most would not. I have yet to encounter any serious trouble, but I ask myself all the time, what the heck I am thinking.

I once did a house wash and to get the sides of 2 little widow dormers, I went up a step ladder and got on the roof it was about 8-10' high. Got off step ladder, up on roof, cleaned and ready to come down. OOPS step ladder blew over. Well I knew the homeowner was home, but he had told me he was going to tale a nap and paid me ahead of time.

Well I kept looking and thinking I can just jump like the stuntmen do in the movies. I decided to try to wake up the homeowner. So hear I amm jumping up & down on the roof, banging my foot, going over to the side with windows and knocking on house. This guy sure can sleep!!

Well I did my stuntman thing. I knew to jump and try to land easy on my feet and then roll, you know the stuntmen do it all the time. Well I did it, other then a good stinging feeling when i first hit the ground I was fine, Real good tuck & roll technique I used.

I no sooner got down and the homeowner came out and said hows it going, He couldnt sleep.:lgbugeyes I didnt mention to him I just jumped of his roof. I surprised he didnt ask why I was limping

I had some white gutters where the black streaks WOULD NOT come off. 3 rounds of butyl caustic solution and scrub brush, and they were not even phased. I don't know what had happened to make them this way, but they were permanent. Same solution that I just spray and rinse everyone else with. Anyway, the customer insisted that I try again, and wanted to know if I had anything stronger. I tried to talk her off the ledge, but she wouldn't hear it. So, at her insistence I went at the gutters with straight butyl caustic and a soft rag. After I rinsed about 2 feet to reveal shiny clean aluminum...

She was PO'd, but couldn't do anything but fume. I said no several times, but she had persisted. I still think about that when I pass the house every so often. They have since painted the gutters, and it looks like crap.

gutrter zap usually works well 100% with a brush.