Sign in to follow this  
JeffW

Skunk problem.

Question

I had a lady call me yesterday and ask what I could do to get rid of the smell of a skunk that she hit with her car.Is there anything that I can spray on the car to help get rid of the odor.I was thinking bleach would kill the bacteria that is causing the smell.(sounds good anyhow).Thanks!

12 answers to this question

spray tomato juice on the underside of the car and so on .my grand parents put me in a tub of tomato juice when i got squirted .i was 9 yrs young at that time .no guarantee however.it works in the tub to soak in

I had to wash out a 53' van trailer once that had a full load of chicken thaw and go rancid it had sit about a week before they unloaded it and I washed it.

I used a hign concentraction of bleach to kill the bad things and washed it out then went back in with a citrus smelling cleaner and washed it again.

When I was done it didnt smell like roses but it sure smelled a whole hell of a lot better.

Hey Jeff... look up Philip Doolittle of Power House Pressure Washing.

He is on this forum. He sells a product called odor destroyer for bad smells.

If you do use bleach on the car, try not to let it dwell too long because it can cause hazing on the finish. But you will be waxing the finish after right?

I think Philip will be able to help you out.

Skunk Smell.

Jeff, We had a bad skunk problem when we lived in the country around Gillette Wy. We had the dogs getting sprayed on a regular time schedule it seemed like. We used a lot of tomato juice. It got expensive so I called the local vet and he had us use powder Massengill Douche mixed to package directions. No kidding. Worked very well, one application, no smell. Kem

I agree with Kem and Steve, my dog got skunked when we were clear out in the baldies hunting, and the stink was so bad, imagine two hunters and a skunked dog in the same Suburban when the ambient temp is below 30 degrees F.:lgbugeyes We stopped at a fuel stop and bought the only two cans of tomto juice there. It cut it back pretty well, but I'll never be able to enjoy bloody marys like I used to. When I got home, we did the douche thing, bought premixed, (a blast to buy a case of them explaining you're trying to get some bad smell off the dog!) and it worked like snapping your fingers. Maybe you could downstream vinegar, or use your x-jet with 100% vinegar. Let me know if that works if you try it.

If vinegar is what will work, try to find some acetic acid at a chemical supply warehouse. I used to sell it to a customer for concrete removal from equipment until I got him better, safer stuff. When I'd mix it up for him, my shop would smell like pickles for a week.

Thanks for all of the ideas,I did the job Friday morning before I got a chance to check out all of these responses.I used straight 6% household bleach on the outside and I burned candles in the inside for about twenty minutes.By the time I left the smell was gone.I thought maybe my sense of smell acclamated to the odor,...so I left to do a roof job and came back later and the smell was still gone.I have'nt yet talked to the customer to see what her nose thought.I'll let you all know when I find out.If the smell is still there I'll try some of the ideas you guys had .Thanks alot!

The bleach sprayed on the outside and the candles burned on the inside got rid of the smell........until they drove the car.Then they could smell the odor coming through the vents.So it may be just a time thing.For now though the husband is driving the car and she is driving his truck.Although I may stop by and try the vinegar.Thanks for everyones help!

I know have already done it, but I was thinking about the bleach thing. If you spray it up under the car won't it set in some pocket and corrode???Just a Thought!!??!!??

Fill it up with gas, roll down the windows, and leave the car running with the blower on full power (outside of course). Febreeze works pretty well on vehicle interior. You could also get an ozone generator and use it in the car....it works very well for eliminating odors.