Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Spare parts

Ive only had my hot water rig a couple months, I was wondering what spare parts I should have on hand. What parts have chance of breaking down, etc and what should I have on hand to make my life easier.

How often does everyone change the oil

Thanks

JL

As far as spare parts, I have started a collection. I have replaced fuel solenoids, racor filters, fuel pumps and a pressure switch, all at the worst possible time. I now keep one of each in the toolbox, as well as an extra transformer. These items do you no good, unless you can isolate the problem, and are willing to do field repair vs shutting down for the day.

Learning to do your own maintenance/troubleshooting is a key item to me. We all like to be self empoyed, but if you have to wait for a mechanic, then what's the point.

Since i asked this question Ive had to fix a couple little things and have had the parts to do it. Luckly I also have a guy down the road who fixes everybodys machines around here. He will stop what he's doing to get someone up & going, great guy, but ya it help to do the work in the field. Learning every day

Now hows it go " lefty loosey, righty tighty" lol

JL

My regimen...Change the oil and filter every 50 hours. Pump every 100-150 hours. Plugs each season. Air filter/fuel filter every other oil change. De-scale the coils each season before winterizing. (I have a repair shop do this one.)

Rod

the last time my heater died on me, the mechanic told me how to cross wires or bypass individual switches, (pressure, high temp, etc.,) to trouble shoot. its really come in handy. after 3 pressure switches, i finally switched to a flow switch. new high temp switch, and thermostat.

Glad this came up. time to order some spares. they never go bad until the middle of a big job that you absolutely have to have hot water.