Sign in to follow this  
reed

Veteran's Day

Question

Tomorrow is Veterans Day. Please take a moment and say a prayer for those who are in harms way and especially for those who have gone before us.

Here's some back ground as you take a moment: http://www.clermontyellow.accountsupport.com/flash/UntilThen.swf

Thank a Vet, we appreciate it more than words can tell you.

Tomorrow is a tough day for me. Take time to reflect on our Greatest Generation that we loose so many of each day.

reed

15 answers to this question

Hey Reed, welcome home and thanks.

For all the rest of you serving now, who have served, or who have family serving: Thank you for your sacrifices, there are not words enough to thank you properly.

We are truly not worthy.:lgbow:

I will be watching my favorite movie war time, "To Hell and Back" with Audie Murphy and thanking our nation's second greatest generation. You won't see any of the candy-assed Hollywood crowd make movies like that ever again.

Then I'll call my granddad and thank him and plan another fishing trip for a few weeks from now. I won't be fishing of course....I'll be sitting in the boat with an empty hook in the water like I've done since I was 2 and just enjoy his company and presence.

And thanks to those who serve and their families. I have more respect and admiration for you than any other group of people in the world.

post-334-137772149389_thumb.jpg

Sometimes I wonder just what the schools are teaching. Also, I think some have been too complacent when it comes to understanding why we, the general populace have the freedoms we do today.

reed

The schools are more Patriotic on 9-11, than they are for Veterans Day. The new campaign going around "College not Combat" will be an interesting topic.

Schools here are closed on Veterans Day, so they do not have any assemblies to Honor Veterans Day.

Just a comment or two. I agree that schools need to teach history and how this country came about. I also see it as a parents job. We need to teach our children values, morals and the ability to make good choices and yes, why our country is what it is. Sorry about the soap box. Just my views. I teach high school Math, Science and Social Studies. I served 21 years in the military, 6 enlisted, 15 as an officer. Retired. My son is in the military and is heading to Iraq the 27th of December. My son is the third generation for the military. Thank you for your support of our troops and your prayers.

WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT TO TURN ON THE TV AND HEAR THE FOLLOWING SPEECH?

My Fellow Americans: As you all know, the defeat of Iraq regime has been completed.

Since congress does not want to spend any more money on this war, our mission in Iraq is now complete.

This morning I gave the order for a complete removal of all American forces from Iraq. This action will be complete within 30 days. It is now time to begin the reckoning. Before me, I have two lists. One list contains the names of countries which have stood by our side during the Iraq conflict. This list is short. The United Kingdom, Spain, Bulgaria, Australia, and Poland are some of the countries listed there. The other list contains everyone not on the first list. Most of the world's nations are on that list. My press secretary will be distributing copies of both lists later this evening. Let me start by saying that effective immediately, foreign aid to those nations on List 2 ceases immediately and indefinitely. The money saved during the first year alone will pretty much pay for the costs of the Iraqi war. The American people are no longer going to pour money into third world Hell-holes and watch those government leaders grow fat on corruption. Need help with a famine? Wrestling with an epidemic? Call France.

In the future, together with Congress, I will work to redirect this money toward solving the vexing social problems we still have at home. On that note, a word to terrorist organizations. Screw with us and we will hunt you down and eliminate you and all your friends from the face of the earth.

Thirsting for a gutsy country to terrorize? Try France, or maybe China.

To Israel and the Palestinian Authority. Yo, boys. Work out a peace deal now. Just note that Camp David is closed. Maybe all of you can go to Russia for negotiations. They have some great palaces there. Big tables, too. I am ordering the immediate severing of diplomatic relations with France, Germany, and Russia. Thanks for all your help, comrades. We are retiring from NATO as well. Bon chance, mes amis.

I have instructed the Mayor of New York City to begin towing the many UN diplomatic vehicles located in Manhattan with more than two unpaid parking tickets to sites where those vehicles will be stripped, shredded and crushed. I don't care about whatever treaty pertains to this. You creeps have tens of thousands of unpaid tickets. Pay those tickets tomorrow or watch your precious Benzes, Beamers, and limos be turned over to some of the finest chop shops in the world. I love New York

A special note to our neighbors. Canada is on List 2. Since we are likely to be seeing a lot more of each other, you folks might want to try not pissing us off for a change. Mexico is also on List 2. President Fox and his entire corrupt government really need an attitude adjustment. I will have a couple extra tank and infantry divisions sitting around. Guess where I am going to put em? Yep, border security. So start doing something with your oil.

Oh, by the way, the United States is abrogating the NAFTA treaty - starting now. We are tired of the one-way highway. It is time for America to focus on its own welfare and its own citizens. Some will accuse us of isolationism. I answer them by saying, "darn tootin." Nearly a century of trying to help folks live a decent life around the world has only earned us the undying enmity of just about everyone on the planet. It is time to eliminate hunger in America. It is time to eliminate homelessness in America. It is time to eliminate World Cup Soccer from America. To the nations on List 1, a final thought. Thanks guys. We owe you and we won't forget.

To the nations on List 2, a final thought. Drop dead. God bless America. Thank you and good night. If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

This link goes to a tribute for a local guy that was killed in Iraq. As I watched again today, I was thinking how lucky I was as a kid that my dad served 25 yrs in the Navy and came home safe after every deployment. Gus was a great guy and loved kids. While in Iraq he would ask family and friend to send him stuff animals to give to the kids over there.

Turn up the speakers and be proud to be Americans, if it weren't for the guys/gals that fight and have fought for our freedom we wouldn't have the life we live today.

http://www.peanut.org/gus/flash_detected.html

Going to school in the 60's & 70's on Vetrans Day we always had a great ceremony either in the Gym or in our large courtyard. Usually with a few military men and always taps played in the distance. The Taps always gave me a chill even when I was real young and still does to this day. You know I look back and it was always a great day. I got to thank about 5 Vets today and my chlorine guy, reminded me, yesterday was the anniversary of The Marine Corps , he's about 65 years old and still wears the crew cut.

In this day and time we need to teach and remind the/our children of history. History happens everyday. I think of those in Iraq and wonder how bad it is and I thank them, they like the vets of the past give so much and get little, we can at least give them a thank you and a hand shake

Thanks to all that served

JL

My son is in the military and is heading to Iraq the 27th of December. My son is the third generation for the military. Thank you for your support of our troops and your prayers.

Kem, 2 days after christmas eh? Tell the man to keep his head down, be safe, come home and thanks!! youve got a proud family history there!!!!

I was second generation, the old mans got his National Defense Medal from Vietnam, got mine during Desert Storm and my little guy is saving the world from WWII to future combat with the PS2.... :)

Happy V-Day to all the vets and families :)

I've been reading and appreciating all the info posted in this forum. I've learned about subjects rangng from newborn babies to WoodTux Wet. I appreciate the information and experience that all of you so readily share.

But probably the greatest contribution that I can ever make to this forum is to thank all that are currently serving in our Armed Forces and for those that have served and sacrificed in the past. Without these soldiers serving and fighting for our freedom, we would not be here sharing our thoughts and opinions.

My thoughts and prayers are for the safe return home of each soldier and for the families whose loved ones made the ultimate sacrifice.

Michael, Thanks, I will tell him. We are very lucky to live in the USA. Kem

You tell him thanks from me and my family. I had two boys over there at the same time when the s**t hit the fan when it all started. I know a little of how you are feeling.

Tell him from me, stick to his training and take no chances. Rely on his instincts and most of all, Come home safe there are those at home who believe in him and what he is doing.

God Bless Him everyday.

reed